Are college's dumb?

Kalshion

For the community college here I often have to wonder if the people who run it have a brain.

I planned on taking three course's this year:

Aircraft mechanic

Japanese Language

Primary Teaching (Elementary Level, which is required before you'll be allowed to take Secondary)

However, all three are being taught by dip-idiots teachers who care more about themselves than about the students. Further more they are located in the north side of town here which is nortorious for it's gangs and drive by shootings. Not a day goes by when you read about another drive by in the area around the high school that are having these classes, I mean get real.....

I have no intent to take a class in a high school that is located between two warring gangs!

Seriously.... I need to find a new community college or something...

Is there a difference between "college" and "university"? My local two year college has courses for a two year degree but that is all you get. They also have courses for a two year degree that are designed to transfer to a four year "college". However, Auburn University where I first attended was a 4 year instituion. You can do either if the 4 year insttitution accepts you.

Starting back myself. I signed up for one class this semester to get my feet wet again. I'll probably have to go back to math 100 though and start over with algebra.

Yes.. but unlike you, I will have to take these stupid "Remedial" classes all because the government school's can't TEACH there students how to READ, WRITE and how to calculate MATH.

My ending GPA was a 3.5 and even THAT doesn't allow me to escape those stupid classes.

Ah well, that is one portion of the school system I can't defeat I guess. Well, not from the outside anyway

What I gather from my daughter(She goes to a University). A college is 2(Associates) years and a university is 4 and more(Bachelors, Masters, PHD).

quote:

I would go to a university, but I don't know the first thing to even attempt that. Nor do I have any degree's right now =

All you got to do is call and ask. They will be more then happy to hook you up with a counselor who can explain everything plus let you know what grants and loans you are eligible for. You will also take placement tests which will determine if you need the math etc.

I'm fifty and deeply regret not going. Don't let it happen to you.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Yes.. but unlike you, I will have to take these stupid "Remedial" classes all because the government school's can't TEACH there students how to READ, WRITE and how to calculate MATH.

My ending GPA was a 3.5 and even THAT doesn't allow me to escape those stupid classes.

Ah well, that is one portion of the school system I can't defeat I guess. Well, not from the outside anyway

Did you get a GED? If not then you should be fine. I went to public schools my entire life, and when I got to the University I handled myself just fine. If your GPA was a 3.5 then you'll be fine.

Hmmm, I have always sort of interchanged the two. Even though it's Auburn University; University of Alabama; or Jefferson State Community College where I am going now.

And yes I may have to go remedial. Even though my high school diploma was "advanced academic" the subjects weren't up to par with entry level college so I got lost my first year. So for me it is probably back to Math 100 Algebra so I can start over.

In my handbook the 2 year degrees are X of Applied Science. That's the one that is complete after two years. The Associates Degrees are the ones where you can go on for your Bachelors.

Guest Grayfox

heh. are you talking about CCSN Kal? (used to be CCCC back in the day) if its the northtown campus on cheyenne and around pecos youre referring to, then i dont blame you one bit for not wanting to go there... you know Kal there are other CCSN campus' around town. i hopped around to a few of them to take care of my "lowbie" courses before i went to UNLV... which with grants and such, im sure you would have no problem getting into.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they do. But saddly I graduate with a 3.5 or higher GPA so I didn't qualify for one (thats how it worked at my school)

Saddly though, lately, the people in charge of the millenium here in Nevada haven't been doing there job and so most of those who did get it aren't being rewarded.. a lot are having to pay out of there own HIDE for the stuff they need...

Meaning, the Millenium Scholarship here in Nevada ain't worth the money it's printed on.

Kalshion I think you misunderstood something. The criteria are as follows to receive MS.

1. Graduate at a Nevada HS after May 2000 (which you did)

2. Pass the Proficiency Tests (I assume you did)

3. And pass with a MINIMUM of 3.00 weighted OR unweighted GPA if you are prior to the class of 2005, otherwise its 3.10

4. Your school has nothing to do with the scholarship, it is state run

So from what I gather, you are eligible. Besides, asking for the scholarship won't hurt you even if you didn't get it.