Surgery Tomorrow (Thursday)

Kalshion

Well this ain't fun at all.

I'm going into surgery tomorrow to remove two abscessed teeth and hopefully the dentist will do a fine job. The problem is that I've never had them actually "remove" a tooth before as they have always been able to save them.

Although, here's the cost:

To do a root canal on both would cost a total of: $3600

To do a full removal of both teeth would cost a total of: $400

You can pretty much guess why I choose to remove them. I mean my family has the money (and my sister offered to pay for it) but the root canal would require four different surgeries over the course of three months.

And to be honest I'm just not prepared for that type of stuff...

Wish me luck all, this might not be major but it is for me, considering it's only my second surgery (the first was my Wisdom teeth).

[ 09-13-2006, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: ShoHashi ]

LOL!

Dental surgery is more frightening than medical surgery usually due to the fact that you're most often awake for it.

But hey - since I've found a dentist that does sedation dentistry, dental work is a walk in the park.

Trust me - even at its worst, dental surgery pales in comparison to others. I know this one all too well as I've had work on my knee, my skull, a lung, my intestines, etc.

Aging sucks.

Except the dental part gets easier.

Not so nice. I lost count of how many times I had surgery to save my what was left of my top left incisor (Was snapped in half and bent backwards 45 degrees after a rugby accident (caught a stud in the mouth and wasn't wearing a gumshield)). It was all paid for by the natioanl health service, since I was still living in England at the time.

It happened a few weeks before my 16th birthday, so I went through the treatment in the children's dental hospital for the next 3 or so years- I was by far the oldest patient there. Eventually they basically ground it down to a stub and put a cap on it to match the rest of my teeth (the cap subsequently fell off and had to be replaced 4 or 5 times, the most inconvenient time was in the channel tunnel on the way to meet my first girlfriend (now wife) in person for the first time).

Thanks Ben, Aramike.

Umm... correct what SC? I don't understand what you mean boss.

If you mean the misspelling I didn't notice them until now. However, edit time has run out so I can't make any corrections.

Good luck, Kal. I'm sure everything will turn out just right.

quote:

If you mean the misspelling I didn't notice them until now. However, edit time has run out so I can't make any corrections.

I helped you out, Kal!

-Sho

Best of luck Kal. The teeth removal is easy but painful for a while afterwards (I had all four of my wisdom teeth surgically removed at once). Just remember to keep the holes they leave you with clean or they can get badly infected and you'll be doing even MORE surgery.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, each time I see an incorrect spelling in the thread topic, I cringe. Yeah, I'm anal like that.

And thats why we love you SC!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:
And thats why we love you SC!

What's this we stuff?

Kal, Logically I can only venture a guess or two about your Dental woes from prior experience with oral surgery.

Which two teeth:?

Must be molars with that $3600.00 price tag on the root canals. Which, by the way, would only be a temporary stop gap measure. All of mine failed within five years and the teeth had to be pulled anyway.

$200.00 per tooth to pull them means that you don't possess abnormally hooked roots so pulling them will be a simple procedure of crack it in half, grab with pliars and pull really hard with a slight rocking motion. Tooth comes out with only a slight sucking sensation in your jaw, maybe followed with a stitch or two in your gums.

Have fun with the Vicodin

*pats chest*

Esh SC like's trying to give me heart attacks

Thanks Wolferz, both teeth are pre-molers (second to the last tooth) so I think it'll be hard.

Either way, I'm having the doc put me under so

Yes lost it does includ the crowns.

And I did survive, thank you Wolferz

I spent the whole night with a damn guass in my mouth between the upper and lower tooth sockets sucking out the blood....

It stopped bleeding about an hour ago (it's 6:09 am right now) so I was FINALLY able to get some food and drink into my system (Yes, I had gone four days without any food or drink because those two teeth where VERY sensitive.)

How do I feel right now? Still groggy but thankfully feeling better.

I'm glad to hear it all went well, Kal.

Kind of after the fact but, a teabag would have stopped the bleeding better than a wad of gauze, But it tastes really nasty

Now, don't let those sockets go dry or you will experience pain more horrendous than those bad roots could ever cause.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Kal, glad it went okay, but your dental plan didn't cover the root canals?

What Dental plan?

I'm unemployed at the moment so no I don't have the insurance right now, wish I did but to be honest I'm kind of glad I didn't get a root canal.. don't ask why but according to my father, even if I HAD been under his dental insurance it still would've costed us $2600 to do... and well over six surgery's over the course of five months.

While I don't like having this damn clot in my mouth in the tooth socket (it's fraking annoying ) I'll just have to live with it.

Hmmm.. dry socket? How the heck do you get that?

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

While I don't like having this damn clot in my mouth in the tooth socket (it's fraking annoying ) I'll just have to live with it.

Hmmm.. dry socket? How the heck do you get that?

Swish that clot out of there with your tongue and you'll find out. We'll hear you screaming from Uranus.

I was also told that Caffine could upset the clot as well (Soda's mostly) dunno if that's true or not but I ain't taking any chances..

And as for straws, thats why I have the straw restricted to the left side of my mouth with my teeth closed