Planetary defense...

Guest Kaine Zastava

Guest Kaine Zastava

I think that it would be cool to have the planets have planet to space missles, and lasers. This would make it possible planets to defend themselves even if they don't have an ODS or station in orbit. This would also make planet fall onto an enemy planet impossible without using a orbit to surface missle to clear out the planetary defense network, along with adding planetary shielding which would need to be breached in order to destroy the planetary defense systems, and thus making it all the more difficult to send troops to the surface to get rid of that "pesky" insurgent marine trainging facility. This would make what used to be a coffee and cake missioninto what would now be a difficult struggle that would need the support of a rather large fleet.

------------------

Kaine Zastava of the GCV-Grig Orig

• 1 month later...
Guest IDxRogue Master

yeah I like those Ideas I could design a Southern Cross style "Grand Cannon" to protect my fledgling Colonies in the uncharted frontiers while my Fleet is off pretending to fight Insurgents(while my assassins are setting up spy rings in Earthcom SpaceStations). hehe

Oh and A better tactic for knocking out a shielded planetary installation would be the Imperial stratgy used in the Hoth battle (the same one the Rebels used at Endor on a lessor scale)deploy ground units on the surface to raid the enemy base and Knock out the power generators...Walker(mecha)units!that's my last wish, okay?.

Guest Ser Arris

This was mentioned somewhere else but, how about suborbital bomber/fighters to defend planets and possibly to be deployed by specially modified transports/shuttles during a planetary assault. Maybe they wouldn't be as powerful as Interceptors but with the ability to carry "special" missles/bombs to be used against enemy troops, ie. nerve gas or sleeping gas to take cities intact w/ all of its radar and launch facilities in one piece. Thus allowing for an not so easy victory w/ minimal casualties.

Guest Nikolai

I would prefer it if you could land on a planet while avoiding detection by ground to space defenses. If aliens landed in China tonight, I don't think that a planetary defense site in Kansas would help any.

I say this because I think orbital bombing is and should be expensive so that most of the time you won't be able to afford it. A game would kind of flatten out gameplay-wise if you could do space to surface bombing all the time. I think it needs to have financial constraints (which it does) and maybe have other drawbacks (accuracy problems maybe and maybe doing it more than a few times in a given span of time could risk damaging the bc).

This would also provide a good reason to have sub-orbital bombers. They could be cheaper (and more vulnerable) and so you'd have a reason to use them. After all, if you had the option to bomb from space all the time, why would you ever use sub-orbital bombers?

• 5 months later...
Guest Angel of Light

Ummm, I guess bombing from orbit would get boring, but I would find a certain amount of amusement in scourging the Earth of all life via OTS bombardment. But maybe I'm just mental.

------------------

I'm thinking that you should have chosen "Angel Of Darkness" after having read this post! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Just Doin' What I can with What I got!

Angel of Light, you're not the only one. Why, way back in the good 'ol days (before the SC got this newer message board thing), I went off on how regular OTS missiles weren't enough for me, and that I really wanted the R.A.N.D.O.M. device (RTM to find out what that is)to blow up stuff. The SC got a good laugh out of that and actually called me "mad" or "insane." (sigh...those were the days... wink.gif )

So, you aren't the only one that wants to do mass destruction. (Or have mental problembs....)

-DavidJS

Kaine, we already have Surface To Orbit missiles. The AX25 (check the screen shots page) variation is designed to do just that.

It will take out any thing in orbit and is deadlier than any station missiles and highly accurate. If it gets a lock, the only thing that will save you is to destroy it using a missile salvo (it cannot be jammed)

or leave the region immediately (because it can't do jumps).

If you sit around in orbit screwing around and site seeing without monitoring the TRACK/LOCK/LAUNCH warning lights until you get a LAUNCH, then you only have yourself to blame.

Some of the the ICBMs sites can also actually do planet to planet bombardment but you need personnel to paint the target with a laser guidance system until the missile launches from the planet. It can only attack other planets/moons within the same region. So, if you build an ICBM site on Earth and have one of your marines paint a target on the Moon (in BC:3020AD because the precision has been increased allowing entities to be distant without overflowing the matrix, the Earth's moon is now in the same region as Earth), then launch, the ICBM will launch a missile that will leave the planet, enter space and head for the target on the Moon in much the same way an OTS goes from space to the planet. You can also use ICBMs against targets on the same planet.

wrt the issue of planetary bombardment, in BC:3020AD, you have to be in orbit to do anything. This leaves you open to STO and ODS attacks. Also, since ships can go from spaceplanet, fighters can also be launched from surface bases (the same way they do from stations) to attack targets in space only if the target was first tracked in orbit. So, if you want to flatten someone's base/city using an OTS bombardment campaign, you have a lot of things to think about which include taking out the ODS system (which are now deadlier) as well as the STO sites for starters. Of course, while you are in orbit trying to locate the STOs, they are probably tracking you. Your best bet would be to drop a team of marines in the general vicinity, give them a SAD order, get out of orbit, launch a probe to the planet and monitor the team's progress either by using their helmet cams (you can have up to 16 cameras in the BC:3020AD tacops and each of a different target) or by controlling one of them yourself (as you do your ships). Once the STOs are taken out (if thats possible considering the size of some of these planets), you can go back into orbit and flatten the area with your OTS systems. Again, hang around there until the STOs are repaired/replaced/rearmed and you won't live to talk about it.

My strategy is buy all the items required to build a base in a remote sector of a hostile planet (of course, you have to get a shuttle down there in the first place) and deploy a couple of Mobile Construction Units (MCUs).

Then have the MCUs build various items such as Area Defense Radars, Early Warning Radars, some Area Defense Shields, a couple of STOs, a few SAMs. Then build a Combat Academy and a few power generators. These all cost money, time and resources. By building the defenses first, you can thwart any hostile attack for starters.

Then, once your academy starts producing marine recruits, you can give them PATROL orders around your base.

Then, the next thing you do is build some a few CAGs and CAVs (Combat Assault Gunship and Vehicles). Put these on patrol around the base.

Then build an Engineering Academy, a Flight Academy and a Medical Academy to crank out engineers, pilots and medics. Once these units start coming out, confine them all to a Barracks (build a few and give them the RTB orders) and then go build a Starport Type 1 (builds fighters only).

With the Starport built, you now have high altitude crafts that can prosecute targets at long range (unlike the CAGs). With your radar sites up and running, nothing will get past those crafts.

Once the carnage begins, you will have your Combat Academy cranking out newbies to replace the dead marines, you will have medics treating the injured, engineers doing repairs automatically and pilots to fly the CAGs and fighters. Once you get ambitious, you can start building out types of Starports and various other buildings and units (around 100 or so in all) to create the perfect base. All will be well and you will be able to thwart any hostile attack...unless some jackass drops a team of high AI marines (Elite team) near your base, has them take out your radar sites (rendering your STO, SAMs, etc unable to see at longer range and without early warning) and area defense shields...then carpet bombs your entire base using a number of well placed OTS missiles and ruins several hours of building and possibly millions of galcreds worth of equipment and units.

The typical RTS game, while fun, gives you a limited map and options, with BC3020AD, you have over 500 planets and moons to build on and in any area you chose. If you have the money and equipment, heck, you can build your own stations in the region and control then entire space/planet region. If the enemy can't get past your space defenses, they can't get to your planets/moons...of course you have to worry about the survivors of a contested planet who will (just like the refugees from station captures) try to regroup and continue attacking your bases on a regular basis.

Yeah, I know, I said that I wasn't going to talk about the BC:3020AD feature set, but trust me, this is only 5% of what the game is capable of doing.

..gah... ghaaeg..egege

...ege

aeg....

hj

AAARGRGRH!!!

He's done it again....

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

Hello,

Don't know what to say.. This game is going to be so good, I don't know if I'd should buy it. I'd probably die playing it, since I would forget everything else! Now all we need is a module to sign on, and go through the Academy ourselfs (Yes, I know featureset is closed, but 3030...)

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

[email protected]

And You're going to trust US with that kind of game? biggrin.gif Ole' Rattler's already starting to salivate here! Only thing left to say is "Totally Outrageous Boss! You STILL Da' MAN!"

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 07-07-99).]

And just think of what that means for MP...it's going to be fun...

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

Prime Fleet

TDY Wraith Fleet

ICQ 32545391

"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us."

-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Da..da..da... HOLY BETTER THAN STAR TREK BATMAN!!!

This brings up a new definition of "Sierra Hotel!"

"this is only 5% of what the game is capable of doing."

I'll take your word on that. What you just described is over 100% of what current games can do!

-DavidJS

[This message has been edited by LordDavid (edited 07-07-99).]

Its going into Beta stage one real soon and once Pan and co disappear, you know something good's happening. Demo should be out around the end of the year because I intend to not only rattle the competion but I also want to give them something to worry about....which is why I have not been saying much. All I can say is, just wait smile.gif

btw, I am still in the process of signing off on units etc and taking snap shots when I can. I posted the GDN series today.

quote:

Its going into Beta stage one real soon..

Uhh... any chance of an ETA on that, or are we just left to salivate, die, and faint not knowing when the day we all vanish will come?

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

Now Parias! Don't you remember that Imortal Quotation of "It's Ready When It's Ready? smile.gif"><P>'Nuff Said! smile.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Good Lord, Derek what are you trying to do to us MAN!! Some of us do have actual lives to live and if you release a game like this, there would be some very lonely(we would negelect all friends and family) and broke ( we wouldn't dare pause the game long enough to leave the house to go to work) lost souls.

IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY, DON'T DO IT!

Well on second thought, some of us don't have a life and maybe this game would add a sense of purpose to it. smile.gif

Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

P.S. Nice to see you back around Rattler. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 07-08-99).]

Ooooh this is gonna be fun, RTS + FPS + Battlecruiser + Fleet Command and control = I FINALLY HAVE A GAME THAT COVERS ALL MY GAMING NEEDS. Good grief SC, keep it coming. man this is gonna be fun, I'm not gonna be limited by the freakin maps in RTS, and FPS, I can fly just about whereever with the BC and support ships, and control a fleet like Rebellion, just not as limited with my options. Just don't rush it plz, I want to get this just like it was ment to be.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

GCV-Eclipse

Still signing off on units and posting screen shots. The modeling/art crew are really cranking them out. Anyway, I've posted the Personnel Airborne Skimmer units.

Check the screen shots page regularly and save me having to tell u about it smile.gif

btw, a note about those PAS units. Your marines have access to them as well. Like the mining drones, if you equip a marine with a PAS unit, he will use it on the planet. There are only 8 of them and yes, you have first person flight control of them if you switch to the marine who happens to be flying one. Works the same as the Interceptor but you can't take them into space because they only fly up to 2500 feet and the repair/replace logic is the same as mining drones.

There are two types of PAS units. One has 8 missiles, the other just has guns. If it does not affect the gameplay balance, I may allow you to purchase as many PAS units as you want (depending on your cargo storage space limits of course) so that you can equip all your marines with them. Of course, if you are the 'fine details' type of gamer, you can simply have your MCU build a starport that just cranks out PAS units that you can take back to your ship using the shuttles. Once you have built a PAS unit, you can just issue a 'DOCK' command to a wandering marine so that he 'docks' with a PAS unit and then uses it as normal. hehe, rest those legs my son. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 07-08-99).]

Now that sounds like a precious trading item to me, if one does make a manufacturing facility for them. Sounds like a real money maker to me! smile.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

btw, once someone figures out who the heck I'm going to explain GALCOM allowing a commander to go around building stuff on the planets and in space, do let me know. smile.gif

I'm stumped so far and I know that once the reviews come out, I'm gonna get creamed if I don't have a plausible explanation. Of course, I can simply not allows terran/military players to build but allow terran/traders to do so. Which would mean that some won't even play the other caste.

Questions would be asked about traders having all that military hardware.

This may sound really simplistic but "as a Galcom Commander following the guidelines set forth you are authorized to entrench yourself in any position deemed necessary and will have Forces available from Galcom at your disposal."

Free flight is still possible, the rogue commander can still go do what he wants with the new forces available (Galcom: What the heck does he need with 32 PAS units? smile.gif), and everything is explained.

Something like that.

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 07-08-99).]