boarding parties

I think that my BC is boarded all to often. Would it be possable to restrict boarding parties from beaming over until my BC's shields are breached? It's costing me a fortune in medipaks for my marines!

After all, if shield can deflect/absorb energy from laser and other energy weapons, why can't they absorb the energy from a trasnsporter beam?

I'd like to know the answer to that one.

But to think of it, your shields wont be breached long enough to have anyone beam over... shield regeneration is fast.

Perhaps it would be better to allow beaming over to other ship when their shields are at X strength. I guess a shield strenght of 100 or less (in ANY ship) would be fair enough... what do you think?

That sounds good to me. I think something in the 75-85% range before they could beam over would be fair. Just make sure your not cruising around with your shields set at 50%!I've had intruders beam over automatically when an ememy caste ship pops into the region, and then the ship goes to engage someone else! In my humble opinion this detracts from the realism a little, but could be solved this way.

Hmm, what I meant by 100 shields is that it didnt matter if a ship had 1000 shields or 10,000 shield strength, you would have to blast them down to 100 strength in order to beam over. After all, you are beaming living beings, any little "cell" that gets lost in transport could be a serious health problem.

"The Surgeon General says beaming over to a ship with shields higher than 100 could be hazardous to your health"

*G*

Come On Guys,

Didn't you watch StarTrek? In order to defeat Shields, all you have to do is figure out the frequencies of the Shields. Modify your Transporter frequency to be a derrivative of that frequency, and interlace your transporter beam through it. Just that simple. If your shield energy doesn't realize that your transporter beam is a foreign presence within the field, it will not reject it. Hmmmm, Now where did those intruders gain those Secret sheild frequencies?

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 01-18-99).]

More thought for the process. If this weren't possible, then why doesn't your IOD and PTA take down your shields when it fires? Is some of that energy reflected back your way and cause damage to your own ships? The answer is NO! Why? Because your own weapons are a derrivative of your shield frequencies, thusly able to pass directly through without dissipation of energy to either source.

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 01-18-99).]

If you have watches StarTrek closely enough then you'll know that all it takes is a NEED for the Enterprise to get shot up badly. When they get a new engineering guy, for instance.

That would be a physically correct reason for any weapon breaching their shields immediately. <g>

Pan,

Lead Tester BC3000AD

writing at 23:56 Bavarian Time (GMT+1) on 18 Jan 99

Actually, in Star Trek the shields had to be DOWN before Transporter operations could commence. This carries through in the "new" variations also. As for weapon penetration by enemy ships (ST:TNG Generations) once the Enterprise's shield frequency was known by those Klingon babes, well the NCC-1701-D was toast. Heck of a landing I might add. Und Pan is correct also, when there is a need, something can always be "scripted" in the plot for "actors" to do.

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 01-19-99).]

Uhh, guys, this isn't STAR TEK. I don't want to get flamed but bc3k is a completely diffrent universe that runs on different rules. One explination for not being able to beam through high strength shields could be that they cause interference w/ the transport beam. I'm not trying to bash STAR TREK, I love STAR TREK.

Speaking of TREK, does anybody remember ,in one of the first movies, the time Sulu had to crash the shuttle into one of the Enterprises' shuttle bay 'cus they were in a firefight?

Err...Danal,

I'm not promoting St here either. smile.gif

You guys were discussing how intruders could get through shields, so I gave you an example of how they can do it. That's all. No flames from my direction. We'll let the SC explain how they can get through them. But trust me, he isn't about to modify it right now, I don't think. He's real busy getting things rolling on BC3020 I think biggrin.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Speaking of TREK, does anybody remember ,in one of the first movies, the time Sulu had to crash the shuttle into one of the Enterprises' shuttle bay 'cus they were in a firefight?

Star Trek V: The final fronteer...

Personally, I think that that movie was the worst out of all of the movies, It is where Spocks Bro takes over the Enterprise and tries to find "God" by going to the center of the universe. Now enuf with Startrek, Im off to wait for Interplay to actually ship me my copy of the game.....

-David

Ok heres my input. I remember some time ago (before the web site facelift) the SC saying that people could beam through shield because this WASN'T Star Trek, and he did not need to adhear to 'rules' set down by a TV show/Film that was nothing to do with BC3K. Well thats fine by me. But I also feel there needs to be a reason why it can be done inlight of the fact the weapons cant pass through. Rattlers explanation of the frequency thing is also fine by me, however there too needs to be a reason how the frequency was obtained (e.g. communication from GCHQ of a security breach etc.). Or if the frequency was 'scanned' then there should be an appropriate time delay between the ships arrvival in the system and the intruders presence for the scanning to take place.

In the words of the hitchikers guide

"This is of course impossible" smile.gif

Wouldnt it be nice if the boarding parties brought their own booze and didnt mess up your ship in the drunken stupor for once.

God I hate Typos

[This message has been edited by WARLOCK (edited 01-19-99).]

I'm not changing it. If you are cloaked, you cannot be boarded because they can't find the ship in order to breach it's shield frequencies anyway.

You have marines who are tasked at taking care of intruders...at least when they aren't playing cards to twiddling their thumbs.

If you don't want to be boarded, invest in a phenomenal amount of cloak fuel and stay cloaked.

So, everyone can simmer down now.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 01-19-99).]

Actually, I find being boarded to be a very interesting aspect of the game. Stressful at times, but interesting! smile.gif It keeps me on my toes. One time, after launching from a neutral station, I immediately had intruders with no sign of enemy ships nearby. So either they boarded from a cloaked ship, or they stowed away from the station. *Five* of them! That's the most I've seen at one time. It took some time, but my marines took them out.

If things get too heated, I can usually find a quiet supernova system to sit and let the marines do their work.

Incidentally, I haven't been bothering much with medpaks, unless the medics happen to use them on their own. I find that by just sending wounded personnel to the Medibay, they heal pretty quickly without my having to treat them.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of being able to board some enemy ships and return the favor in BC3020AD!

------------------

Cmdr Daryl

GCV Venture

quote:

Incidentally, I haven't been bothering much with medpaks, unless the medics happen to use them on their own. I find that by just sending wounded personnel to the Medibay, they heal pretty quickly without my having to treat them.

The MO and medics are trained to do that. The CE is also trained to have engineers do auto-repairs but that was not fully completed (an issue of parts available became a pain) and is disabled. Will be fully implemented in BC:3020AD so that they behave as medics in that they will auto-repair systems based on damage, priority and parts availability.

So now we have to wait 'till the 4th Quarter of '99 to get all this good stuff? Rattler diggs into pocket and draggs out change, puts it into BC3020AD Jar. This sucker's gonna get heavy by then! biggrin.gif But not nearly as heavy as the action that's headed down the tracks with BC3020AD. Keep working Boss! biggrin.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Heh, I personally get VERY annoyed with intruders.

I'll post the pic I have of my Perscan when I find the CD I burned it in (yes, it was THAT shocking).

4 intruders boarded my ship and went directly into engineering RIGHT when I was doing an upgrade and had most of my techies there. Needles it is to say, Eggheads died by the dozens. Then I dont know how those suckers got into my IC bays and killed my Flight Engineers!!! (dammit!).

Since they couldnt take off in the IC's (banged up) they decided to pay a visit to my medibay where my IC2 crew was.. guess what happened.

Meanwhile my useless search parties (by this time ALL marines) were stuck somewhere in the flight deck.. probably slipping in all the high-IQ blood oozing in it.

And then they got to the bridge and... sigh.

The pic I have is when they started to kill my techies, it was the only time I was amused enought to actually think on taking a pic. :-).

Only one thought lingers in my mind:

"When will my marines be able to pay THEM a visit?" heheheeh.

-Tac-

Hey Tac!

Them weren't Intruders, from the damage that you are describing, them was highly trained, extremely motivated Insurgents. No wonder your bellhops couldn't take care of them. You'r lucky they didn't wrap you in Duct Tape, shove you out the airlock, and tote your ship back to SS Spectre. I'll have to speak to them about not finishing the mission. biggrin.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Guest Antti Junkkari

Hey. If you aren't happy with the work of your marines, wait for BC3020AD and then you can jump into a combatsuit yourself and show how good are you killing intruders..

Just come down, you're marines will always win, if enemy doesn't beam over 40 marines aboard.

Stay out of the battle if you cant stand it, this world is only for the tough guys.. wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr Junkkari

GCV-Karhu

Orion Fleet Leader

"If you want peace, you must prepare for war.."

[This message has been edited by Antti Junkkari (edited 01-20-99).]

Rattler is right, they were probably high IQ Insurgents. Pitty you can't tell because the system does not display the race/caste of who boards you (will do in BC:3020AD), instead it just identifies them as intruders. Which is actually correct since the computer won't know unless they identified themselves...

quote:

Insurgent:

"....computer, this is Terran/Insurgent Commander Braindead of the Insurgent Strike Force, here to give your Commander an enema with this brand spanking new Plasma gun."

computer:

"....Terran/Insurgent intruder detected, claims he is here on a medical visit sir"

co:

"....priority one alert, foul mouthed intruder onboard, marines assigned to hide duty"

Nah, we can't have that! Tac's BellHops would help My Insurgents load all 4 shuttles with his best cargo, Give them the launch codes, and stand guard on his IC's to make sure that they didn't give chase when the Insurgents left. Then they'd all muster in the galley for milk and cookies biggrin.gif

Have a nice day Tac wink.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Ok.. great.. now i have coke sprayed on my monitor after reading / imaging the SC's post on intruders identifying themselves.. Give me all sorts of Monty Python / Young Ones / Black Adder / Red Dwarf kind of flashbacks smile.gif

And all this time Volvo Thought they were paying my employer to have me run their R/3 system smile.gif

I'd like to know what the logic is for intruder generation. What has to be true for my BC to get boarded? Are intruders beaming off other ships... off other planets? Are they auto-generated on my BC randomly?

I had a situation where two intruders boarded my BC and proceeded to the same IC. There seems to be some logic preventing more than two people in an IC, since no one could get on board to kill them. Perhaps when an IC is docked, the IC and the IC docking bay could be considered the same room. This is logical because A) there might be an open canopy and B) the intruders would be sitting ducks to my techies drilling holes and inserting all sorts of strange and wonderful nasties (gasses of varying lethality, biotoxins, grenades, nanites, biting insects.. etc).

Now, Rattler:

quote:

Hmmmm, Now where did those intruders gain those Secret sheild frequencies?

What do you mean secret? I'm leaking them on purpose.

quote:

they were probably high IQ Insurgents.

If you and SC are right, then considering the score (0 marines/ships lost or damaged to 30+ intruders lost), then I'm single handedly depopulating you of your brightest and best. I'll make you a deal, I'll keep leaking you my shield harmonic codes, and you keep on sending your best over for a visit.

As for the star trek theme, let this die-hard treky answer something:

quote:

Didn't you watch StarTrek?...If this weren't possible, then why doesn't your IOD and PTA take down your shields when it fires?

In Star Trek, shields are almost completely permeable to anything outgoing. They are one-way force fields only. Outgoing weapons fire isn't affected or limited to shield down-time windows.

It's actually unfortunate that 'transporters' are used this way (as a method of intrusion) since a little rational thought will uncover the weakness in the theory. If they are 'beaming' over, then I could simply 'beam' them into outer space. They are being detected on my ship... and tracked. So, unfortunately, it's not something that's practical. Any 'magical' transportation technology posessed by two groups is useless as a method of invasion/takeover. Besides, if they really could beam something on my ship... you'd have to be pretty brain-dead to beam over people instead of a thermonuclear device.

Anyways, it makes for good game play, though. I'd still like to know what the rules are for it.

------------------

Cmdr. Tolian Reven

GCV Excelsia

Ex Turbo Modestum