Advancement during Campaign Mode

Guest MrBeAr

Instead of starting with a full-blown battlecruiser, why not start out with a frigate or destroyer? As the player progresses and his rank increases, he could gets access to bigger and more powerful ships. After being promoted to, say, squadron commander, he can take command of a small fleet of capital ships, than when he becomes fleet commander, the fleet gets bigger...

OR he can choose to just continue to command his original capital ship (which by now is a battlecruiser...)

I agree and believe that this is planned. Start out with the lowest class ship and work your way up the ladder.

Example:

Begin game as TER/MIL player starts with a Sunwarrior Heavycruiser with "basic" load (v2.0x manual used for reference).

Also, the rank could be two-part.

Assuming we use navy ranks with some modifications, if you were a commodore, and also in command of a squadron, you would have the title commodore of the xxth squadron, xxth Fleet. Or when you took command of a major fleet, you would have the rank commodore of the xxth Fleet.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you would love driving an asteroid with engines my man. *G*

I dont know about this.. I would like to see it but I dont know if the CIC would do it.

In any case, it would go WONDERFULLY with De Sylva's idea of requisitioning! "PLease Sir, may I have a Galactan? No? How about a Constellation then? No?..WHAT? NOT an MRT-10 !NOOO PLEASe NOOO" *evil grin*

"Oh come on, Fleet Commander. I saw the opening - I took it. Ramming is a LEGITIMATE TACTIC. Especially when you bust me down to an unarmed transport..."

*grin*

------------------

Commander DeSylva

GCV First Light ISS01 -=- ISS Fleet Coordinator

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/

Official BC3K Tester and Blind Man With Sleeves award winner

"Serve - with honour."

Guest MrBeAr

1)

commander-up to light cruiser

captain-up to heavy cruiser

commodore-up to battecruiser

rear admiral-???

vice admiral-???

admiral-???

grand admiral/lord admiral-whole new game, remain at galcom HQ and coordinate fleet, can choose to not accept this promotion.

Higher rank would result in greater responsibility. Galcom would entrust you with more ships that you could take with you further away from Galcom:

Only authorized to operate with fleet in

Sol system:

squadron captain-destroyer flagship

& max two smaller vessels

fleet captain- light cruiser flagship

& max three smaller vessels

Only authorized to operate with fleet in Terran Quadrant:

squadron commodore-heavy cruiser flagship

& max four smaller vessels

fleet commodore-battlecruiser flagship

& max five smaller vessels

Authorized to operate anywhere except Gammulan Quadrant:

squadron Rear admiral-carrier flagship

& max six smaller vessels

fleet Rear admiral-dreadnought flagship

& max eight smaller vessels

The ranks vice admiral and admiral would allow you to operate anywhere with additional ships.

With a single ship you could still fly where you want.(like it is now)

Should you choose to accept more more vessels, and after a time you don`t want them around any more, you can return them to a ship pool at Galcom HQ. (the same pool from where you get your own ship...)

2)

In free flight you could have a "missiondesk", the ability to accept randomly generated missions, which are tailored to your current ship/fleet configuration.

EXAMPLE: recapture a space station in terran quadrant

flagship: heavy cruiser

fleet: two light cruisers, a destroyer and a troop transport -full of marines to recapture the station with.

Opposition at space station: balanced according to difficulty setting and size of the fleet

The thing is, you would not need to attain the rank of supreme commander(lord/grand admiral) before you could command more than one vessel. This could be an option utilizing C&C, and NOT replace the ability to fly solo.

Could perhaps be fun in multiplayer too. Planning of advanced tactics to outmanouvre an enemy fleet of players. Players giving each other orders, if the commanding player looses his ship somebody else would take over command....

[This message has been edited by MrBeAr (edited 03-07-99).]

The ranking system is already established, I dont think the CIC would change them.

In Multiplay the fleet-flight leader would be by concensus, not rank hehe. But it WOULD be cool to let the higher ranking officer give "penalties" to ships who DONT obey their commands hehehehehe. Say I am a TacOps Commander and I order someone...say... Gallion (a lowly Cmdr. hehehe)to return to base and he doesn't comply *G*. What could I do to him? Lets see.. a violation? a reprimand? Oh boy! This opens a LOT of options to multiplay!!!.

But then again, who there would decide who gets rank? By EP's? Nah, anyone manually flying the BC could accumulate them by blowing stations (note: I dont know if BC3020 station will be as easy to blow up when you manually fly the BC, but still, player vs AI player wins...so far..).

Sssooo... we are stuck with how to give rank to players. Well, if the BC multi will have a persistent universe, why not have server GODS watching the game? The could award rank instead of the EP's. A real human can decide skill AND leadership qualities in another human player. In fact, these server gods could give "ACTING (Fleet) Commander" rank to players to "try them out".

Now, who will be these gods is out of my scope. But still, its an idea :-).

------------------

Fleet Leader

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi (Wraith Flagship)

Hell Hound Wing Commander

=Wraith Fleet=

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

"The World is tired of Words.It wants Examples"-Shoghi Effendi

Guest MrBeAr

Well, I don`t see the problem of trying to find the people best suited to be fleet commanders. In real life, the best commanders aren`t neccessarily those in charge.

The fleet commander could give fines to those that did not follow orders, or reassign you to a patrolzone in nowhere land wink.gif

You would get upset and perhaps join the insurgent. In the next major fleet engagement, you would get to blow up your former superior officer.

The next game, perhaps you would end up as the boss and try to perform better and not be as harsh on your fellow commanders smile.gif