Imagine, won't you?

Guest Edward Coleman

Guest Edward Coleman

Imagine being the commander of a huge Battlecruiser. You have some free time, so you take out one of your interceptors for a cruise. You decide to head down planetside and land in a nice tropical area of one of the many planets you have visited. You land, and then proceed to secure your interceptor, and you exit your ship and jump down onto the nice savannah floor. You feel the warm tropical breeze go through your hair, see the many interesting insects buzz around the tall grass, and feel the hot sun on your head.

My point is, wouldn't be cool to have the ability to actually land on a planet in an interceptor or other ship and disembark. Actually be able to walk around on a planet's surface, maybe even with some randomly generated trees and wildlife and other things to interact with. Remember The Empire Strikes Back and that dismal world on Dagobah that Luke crash-landed on? Imagine crash-landing on a planet and having to survive while you wait to be rescued, or while you try to fix your ship to leave!

I know something like this would be pretty intensive to add to this already great sounding game, but think of the realism! Imagine being your commander character, separated from your fleet, and stranded or just plain vacationing on some world! Imagine, won't you?

------------------
Edward Coleman
Commander
ISS Nemesis

Guest Zach Gaskins

Just be careful where you go and who you "associate" with on your vacation or you could pick up a nasty virus that may require you to spend weeks in Medibay, Vacpacs hooked up to every part of your body...and no doubt Paul would be left running the ship.

------------------

Commander Zach Gaskins

GCV Hypercephalic

"That boy's head is like Sputnik! Round but quite pointy in parts!"

• 2 weeks later...

'Bout 7 months ago, Old Forum I think, we discussed landing BC on the planet's surface. It was pointed out to us, by the SC I think, that the BC did not have Landing Gear. So BC would take severe damage if placed on surface, resting on it's skin. Then, to compound that even more, would take even more damage dragging that same skin forward before rotating upward towards orbit. I could be missing it, but I just can't find that VTOL switch in my keyboard commands that applies to the BC! It's Just too much to ask of a SPACE Vehicle I think. Best Advice, Stay Off the Surface in that BC, Commander. smile.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 02-27-99).]

Yeah Rattler I remember that discussion. Half the vets were screaming the BC couldn't make planetfall when I very well knew it could. ( due to a rather unique CD-ROM from BC3000AD.) So not knowing which version was correct I kept my mouth shut. smile.gif.

Make Planetfall. Entirely possible from my status. Land it (as seen from other's status). Take off? hmmmmmmm. Two untried suggestions here. Try VTOL controls or use a shuttle to drag (Pull?) the BC off the surface. Untried methods are seen as crud by Derek so these are only suggestions. See if they work. If they do tell us. <G> .

I had an idea why I would get damage if I tryed to land the BC on a planet. No landing gear, massive damage. Now I did try it again with better shields. The ship did allow me to land and take off again but of course there was damage. If all else fails call for a tow ship. Now for fun I put myself in a shuttle and went down to a planet. I send myself out for a walk. I notice that my person was quite a ways up in the air. So I sent the shuttle up and put a tractor beam on my person. After I got the shuttle close enought to lock on I was switched to a nice screen that said that I had killed myself. I just wanted to see if I could tow myself into space and see how long I would live. Oh well.

Persons are killed when you tractor them. (It's a tad too rough for a human <g> )

This was incorporated when... someone... tried to 'recover' a person with the BC tractor beam like a disabled craft. (which crashed the game <g> )

There might be a different mechanism for personnel transfer in BC3020, when the BC actually has an 'airlock'.

(for marine/SE deployment in space?)

Pan,

Lead Tester BC3000AD

writing at 20:18 Bavarian Time (GMT+1) on 2 Mar 99

• 2 years later...

On the contrary you can successfully land your CC and take off from the surface of the planet without any damage, and without using the Auto landing system. I do all the time. Its called CLWG. (Controlled Landing Without the Gear)

Instructions..

Standard descent to about an altitude of 1000.

Assume VTOL control, hover and decend to minimum altitude of 36. (Now, pay attention to the throttle here otherwise you'll jump in forward motion and road rash your undercarriage.) With Throttle at 0, switch to FTOL mode and your CC ever so softly will decend at a rate of 2m/s to the surface. A landed status can be confirmed by TAXI indicator on the HUD, and your altitude on the EAI tape reads 0. Issue Halt orders, engage A/P, and shut off the engines.

To leave, reverse the process exactly as described. Watch your throttle! Switching from VTOL to FTOL at an alitude of 36 will lead to a most unpleasurable experience. Try it, works great, like everything else in this sim.

[ 03-02-2002, 11:52: Message edited by: Praylak ]