Voice Commands

Guest Cal

"If" this didn't detract from gameplay, I think it would be interesting to have voice recognition software to take commands. This software is widely available, but to date, the only game I'm aware of it being used in was some sort of a submarine simulator by Sierra.

I think it could be really kind of neat to give orders by voice. I'm not sure reality would be quite as good, but its a thought smile.gif

Well, BC3020 ought to exist in the Pentium III era, and the P3 has enchanced voice recog stuff. Maybe Cal, maybe! :-)

I don't mind much if BC3020 has no voxrecog, since it does have multiplayer real-time speech (hehe, all the other commander has to do is say "BC SELF DESTRUCT" and the other player's BC goes BOOM *G*.).

------------------

Fleet Leader

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi (Wraith Flagship)

Hell Hound Wing Commander

=Wraith Fleet=

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

"The World is tired of Words.It wants Examples"-Shoghi Effendi

Voice recognition interesting? You don't know the half buddy.

You know, I'd like to point out an ancient chinese curse. "May your life be long an interesting".

In other words, interesting does not neccesarily mean fun. Go pick up a copy of Dragon software's 'Naturally Speaking'. It's some of the best voice reconition software on the general market. It's interesting, but a far sight from fun.

Personally speaking, I have trouble spending more than 10 minutes reading a manual, much less talking to my computer for a coupla hours while it trys (and fails) to learn my voice.

Don't mean to sound cold, but I deal with a lot of software on a daily basis, and voice regonition software is one of my least favorite. (Microsoft BOB is still numer one, with Telephony software and all that damn 'crashguard' type crap coming in close seconds, but let's not go there, okay?)

Cmdr Bad Mojo

GCV Vae Victus

"In a suprise annoucement due to Intel's new 'security enhanced' Pentium III, Microsoft has changed thier logo to 'We know where you went today'."

"In a suprise annoucement due to Intel's new 'security enhanced' Pentium III, Microsoft has changed thier logo to 'We know where you went today'."

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what that is Mojo. I bought a speech recog program and the darn thing cant get my words right even after 2 weeks of doing all the damn training sessions over and over.

Intel put in a serial number in their P3's that is sent out as soon as you logon to the internet. So anybody can tell when you get online and where you go. I will never be getting one. I guess I will have to buy a AMD. They don't advertise it, and not easy to find information about it. The good news is that it can be turned off with software but everytime it you reboot it turns back on. But all of this won't matter if the new law that stats that surfing to a web page is long distance is upheld then none of us will be able to afford to even get onto the internet. Ah the life of the common MaN.

[This message has been edited by KreKol (edited 03-08-99).]

turn it off? sure, go ahead. Too bad there's already a sneaky java applet that turn it back on when you hit that site. Besides that, I'd like everyone running windows '98 to go to 'start->accessories->System Tools->System Information

now take a good look at that screen. I found a cookie that will send that to the requesting site. It can also be 'piggybacked' to an innocent cookie too. Now, with that information, the Intel reg code, and god forbid you use microsoft wallent, someone can have some fun with you.

Bad Mojo:

I don't disagree, which is why I said "IF" it didn't detract from gameplay.

Intercom for internal ship comms and High frequency for external.

I've used both Dragon Soft and IBM's voice software, and don't particularly like them for the purpose of dictating letters. However, in a game where the command structure is much more limited, I think it "might" be possible.

I figure that BC3000 has taken enough firsts already, why not one more if it adds to gameplay.

Again though, I will agree ... I don't want to live in times that are "too" interesting wink.gif

An effective BC3K voice interface would not require a huge dictionary of words. Preprogrammed in phrases such as "Launch All Fighters", "TACOPS", "Navitron", etc. require much less CPU time and are recognized much better than dictating software.

It would be interesting to see if IBM or Dragon would license their speech engine to BC3K. If so then a simple command parser would be required to link the phrases to useful BC3K commands (e.g. Activate the TACOPS screen, order the BC to launch all its fighters, etc) In complex battles it could be quite a time saver. One could yell "Launch all fighters!" from the BC bridge instead of having to shift into TACOPS mode and click several times.

Prehaps Speech could be an option to BC3020. After the Strike Pak we could have the Speech Pak... At the very least it would be VERY cool.

Commander Blip

okay, let's make a HUGE assumption, and assumed that voice recognition software worked (at all).

Now, with that in mind, think about this. You're in the middle of combat, you got your snappy voice commands all set up, there's fighters everywhere, you wanna deploy your some ICs, you call out your commands, and wow! they worked! (yeah, right). And watch your two ICs go at it.

Now same thing, but lets add three pints of McEwans Export,(Or substitute yer pint of choice), and try it again. Oops. None of your ICs deployed, but you did manage to turn off your shields. Goody for you.

How about if you have a cold? oops. Just launched some shuttles, huh? That's a shame. Oh, jettison cargo now? Way to go. Yippee Skipee.

And we thought just Plain ol' Paul Resnig was bad, wait until we see the new, improved, "Voice Activated Paul Resnig"! Talk about room for creative interpretation. "Hey Paul, PISS OFF!", "Yes commander, activating self destruct now". "NO! Deactivate self destruct!", "Yes Commander, jettisoning all empty escape pods and craft."

"AAAIIEEEEEE!!!!", "Yes Commander, here's your diet coke"

ack. Sorry, I just think that voice commands are a waste of time and resources. That, and talking to your computer makes you look like a huge dork.

shrug.

Obviously no one here tried Sierra's "Aces of the Deep" (if you want, its in a box in my garage somewhere). I hate to admit it, but I did try the voice recog. My synopsis? I had a better time laid up for a week after getting hit in the scrotum with a masking tape roll. (Did I say scrotum?)

Not only do we have a couple years left until voice recognition gets a lot of its bugs worked out, but you do have to consider building a sound proof room, so your family doesnt have to go through "I SAID TACOPS YOU PEICE OF *BLEEP*IN *BLEEP*" *crRRAash*

"Uhh honey I think I need another computer."

Mac

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 03-13-99).]

I don't know, Mojo ...

If you were a commander, and had been drinking too much wouldn't you expect an Exxon Vladez type incident?!

Seems kind of realistic actually wink.gif

What are you talking about Cal?

oh. I think I get it. you're saying that if I were drinking, and tried fighting in my BC, I might accidently ram sombody. Is that it?

That's funny.

I mean, that's REALLY funny.

'acidently' ram somebody. heh. bwahahahaha.

Beer and Voice command Battlecruiser? No, I think that might indeed be like looking at bumperstickers. (IMHO) But what do I know about voice recognition. I'm no programmer and I know even less about that kind of data management.

But what I do know (=remember I read it) is that BC30(2/0)0 AD has a couple of artificial neurons modelled into it. (part of the AI engine if I'm not mistaken, SC) And I do know that in 1987 some people at the John Hopkins University, Baltimore did the reverse; text to phoneme/voice transformation with a artif. neural network model driving a phoneme chip. And an artificial neural network is known for it's abilities to work with high noise level data.

But maybe this is yet not something for 3020. this technology is still very young. Though it holds promise anyway. And you may still very well need a P-IV chip.

Rico Jansen

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 03-16-99).]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chrome Tiger

quote:

Now same thing, but lets add three pints of McEwans Export,(Or substitute yer pint of choice), and try it again. Oops. None of your ICs deployed, but you did manage to turn off your shields. Goody for you.

Serves ya right for drinking on duty...to the brig with you! smile.gif

On the topic of VOXREC, I think it would be a nice optional feature...I spend enough time yelling at my PC anyway, why not yell at it for fun for once?

------------------

Chrome Tiger

Director of Operations/Lead Webmaster

3DNexus

http://nexus.telefragged.com

[This message has been edited by Chrome Tiger (edited 04-01-99).]