Meet the Starion MK3 Battlecruiser

Supreme Cmdr

Say hello to the Starion class Battlecruiser. The ship you will be commanding

in Battlecruiser 3020AD. After much controversy, I decided to do away with the

previous organic looking textures in the last movie I did. They will be used in another alien ship.

As you look at these images, I want you to imagine this

1. You go to Tactical and send a Marine to an 'airlock' location on deck 1

2. You watch the Perscan (now an internal 3D model of the entire ship) until

he actually gets there.

3. Once he gets there, you go to an external camera view to watch the poor

fool hanging around topside (in idle animation). Zoom in, take a look around etc.

4. You then press a key and you are auto-switched to that marine. You can now

walk around your ship (topside) as it hurtles through space, held down to the hull by magnetic boots.

5. As the ship nears GALCOM HQ, you press a button to activate the jetpack.

Using normal flight controls, you fly over to GHQ, deactivate the jetpack and you slow fall under the weight of the magnets. You then proceed to walk over the top of the station over to an area where other GALCOM marines are battling marines who just landed on top of the station from a passing cruiser. It is a

quick and deadly fight and you whip out your Pulse Cannon and join the fray.

6. During all this, you notice one of your interceptors flying by. You press a

key and switch to it. You then fly to the BC (leaving the AI to take over the

marine of course) and request docking clearance. The ship slows down and the

as you draw closer to the docking bay (under the ship in bcimage3.jpg), it

opens, revealing the inside bay. You cautiously dock the craft, the door closes.

You press a key and you are switched over to the model of the pilot as animated personnel and drones move the craft out of the way. You walk around the docking

bay looking around. Tired, you press a key and you are back on the bridge.

7. Back on the bridge, you remember the marine. You fly over to GHQ and give the

poor sod an RTB order.

Only in BC3K. This version is going to rock something serious. There will be more screen shots this Sunday which will feature the external turrets, missile

launch rails (independent systems which can be targeted and destroyed). A new

movie with this model (also showing the internal docking bay) and the new interceptor, will be online sometime soon.

Note: The model is still needs some more texture work. The purple polygon you

see, is an area that has not yet been textured.

www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shots/bc3020ad/bcimage1.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shots/bc3020ad/bcimage2.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shots/bc3020ad/bcimage3.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shots/bc3020ad/bcimage4.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shots/bc3020ad/bcimage5.jpg

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-12-99).]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chrome Tiger

If I may be the first to say (which I apparently am):

Mama, buy me dat!!!

I've played every space sim currently on the market, and I've never seen a ship that looks that good! If everything in 3020 is gonna be that kind of quality, I'm gonna have to become independently wealthy, because I'm not gonna have time to actually work!

Spectacular looking ship, SC...what's the going cost, and are there finance terms? smile.gif

------------------

Chrome Tiger

Director of Operations/Lead Webmaster

3DNexus

http://nexus.telefragged.com

quote:

SC...what's the going cost, and are there finance terms?

< rp >

See, that's the problem with you Galcommie wusses, you need to ask and beg for equipment. Me? I'll just waltz up to a Galcom commander who's just been given one of these, bundle him and his crew into the transporter room, take command and sail off. All the while, the Galcommie will be "waiting for further instructions" from his superiors.

< /rp >

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

[This message has been edited by Jon Ballinger (edited 04-09-99).]

I must say CIC that the new ship is absolutely GORGEOUS. I love the new look, I mean I really love it. It is a beauty to behold. I can not wait to get my hands on 3020.

We have the Constellation class, the Galatacan class and now the brand new spanking Starion class battlecruiser. smile.gif Will the wonders of the universe cease to ever amaze me.

Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

Mein, Gott. That is one fine looking ship. Many thanks go out to the engineers for the Starion BC. Can't wait until I get to take command of one of GALCOM's newest beauties.

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

-- John F. Kennedy

ICQ 32545391

SC,

Holy Sh@#$!!#, this is how it should be, the game has matured to a point where it is almost unbelievable. This new BC is GREAT!!!

Wonderful job. The game is growing and maturing, after 3020 where else can you go? I know, you are a perfectionist, and you will never be satisfied, but as long as the game continues to grow so will your fan and gamer base. This is the most realitic ship I have yet seen, I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. GORGEOUS, absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

------------------

Jaguar

This is not just a game,

It's a life unto itself!!

Oh, my God! That's great! Hello Starion! This is absolutely amazing. So will you be able of manually docking the ICs in BC3020? Errr ... and when are you planning on finishing all this? smile.gif

BTW, you should put this on the GNN so that everybody can see it.

PS: I liked the other organic-like texture, but putting it on an alien ship is a good idea.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

The new textures rock!!! Looks much cooler than the organic textures (though it will be good to have the organic textures on an alien ship for variety).

Congrats to the artists!

Guest Den Dee

I like it smile.gif

Hoping Derek hasn't put these pics here for out sheer admiration only, I'll throw in a copuple of wishlist dreams if it's not too late and if this is not in the game already smile.gif

Navigation lights. That says it all. Craft, buildings, stations. I always wondered why my BC, a military vessel, goes around lit up like a Cristmas tree. It just got better, as I see. Yet, to make it even better, one might have control over exterior lights on the ship. This will be mostly useful if first-person hull roaming smile.gif

Since it seems to me that this will require too much work, I can only hope it's already being implemented.

Also, spotlights on shuttles maybe? The best time for SurfOps is night, i believe.

Obsession makes wonders, this game is one of them smile.gif

Den Dee, I don't want any suggestions.

Hector, the docking is a day's work. Manual docking has been in the game since 1996, it is disabled because the collision detection was course and I didn't have the proper model to support it. I'm going to put in everything on my design docs (all 45 new features), if the game doesn't ship until Christmas 2001, thats my problem. I don't have a publisher breathing down my back and I'm not doing it for people whose only stake is to spend $45 and come bitch about it. The BC3K series will always push the limits of innovation. I have more at stake. As a personal friend, you understand. So, don't sweat it. smile.gif

Anyone who thinks that the internal docking

in the WC series is anything, this is me, laughing my ass off. Just wait.

btw, the reason these images are not on GNN or released to the press is because they are not finished. I expect the model and texturing to finish this weekend. Then I will post those. If you think this is good, heh, just wait until you see what I'm looking at.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-10-99).]

Guest Sixpack

(Sitting here flabbergasted wondering just what I can say that could possibly reveal just how good I think that new ship looks) OK, I'm at a loss for words. But my God, the description that Dr. Smart provides for game play... We're talking an entire new game here folks... I'm slobbering on my keyboard just thinking about it. Who the hell is gonna need any other game to play?

------------------

Peon Sixpack

Cmdr of Garbage Scow #29

(We keep the troops happy)

OHH, Nice, Neat,and Shiney!! I want one....

Lets have a contest..the 1st Insurgent to steal one of those baby's is getting a raise, and a hand shake by our leader? smile.gif

Now what was going to be the minimum requirements for this? frown.giffrown.gif (Right before it's out, I'm upgrading!)

-David

S.C Dat SHIP IS DA BOMB!! The GAMEPLAY will be outa of this world, I can't wait for it to come out. Just because those pictures I will save up my paycheck and go out and buy me a damn 3DFX card. It's defintely time for a 3DFX card. I already lost lots of sleep over bc3k man the way things are going now when Bc32k comes out my HEAD WILL EXPLODE! But at least I will die happy. S.C YOU DA MAN!!!

Cmdr. SpacePhish

GCV "DeadHead Forever" B.C #1

GCV "Cap of Delight" B.C #2

[This message has been edited by SpacePhish (edited 04-11-99).]

The idea is that there is only one of this in the game. Its a prototype and you are the only one with access to it.

If my plan goes right, you'll never get to see this baby until you make Fleet Commander or so. Until then, you are stuck with the old gal, the Galactan class MK2. In fact, I'll probably start you off with the old Constellation class, then to the Galactan class and then the Starion. This will be based on EPs, rank etc. Of course, any violations and you'll never get to command one of these babies.

I'm doing away with ACM completely, instead, I am doing one humongous FF campaign that will last forever. Anyone who wants their own mission, can use the GBS to make their own. The time I'll spend doing ACM missions, I could spend designing an AI controlled kick-ass FF, complete with space, planetary invasions, treaties, skirmishes etc.

CIC you talking my kinda talk. A TOTALLY KICK ASS FREE FLIGHT. You keep pumping out little tib bits of 3020 and you'll have most of us walking up and down the block in front of our computer gaming store like crackheads waiting for 3020 to arrive. smile.gif

Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

SC, you've got us all just drooling like Pavlov's Dog. And the above is right, we'll all be in front of our software stores like a bunch of crackheads looking for a fix, That was too good Karl!!! smile.gif

Anyway, this is so good, I can't wait to see the full fledged deal!!! smile.gif Good Job SC, you NEVER disapoint!!! smile.gif

------------------

Jaguar

This is not just a game,

It's a life unto itself!!

Damn that is a NICE looking ship...you going to re-do the textures on the Galactan class the same way? Or just bump up the resolution the current textures?

Derek: hmm, not so sure about losing the ACM campaigns. Maybe you could contract one of your Testers to put together an ACM for you, and save you the time and the trouble? I just think structured missions are more appropriate for a military ship.

Which brings me to my question. Will it be possible to fly as a different caste and in a different ship to one of the Battlecruiser classes in single player mode in BC3020AD? Ie. can I fly as a Terran/Trader in a Tarin Mk II in single player? Can I fly as a Credian/Assassin in a Violon in sing eplayer mode in BC3020AD? Or is this only supported in multiplayer?

------------------

Commander DeSylva

GCV First Light ISS01 -=- ISS Fleet Coordinator

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/

Official BC3K Tester and Blind Man With Sleeves award winner

"Serve - with honour."

SC, godamnit you've done it again... holy *#(...

I think I'm gonna fall over and die if this takes more than a few months... what it will?

@$*(@& GAAAAA.. AIR. NEED AIR...

hehe j/k

------------------

Elite Commander Parias

ICV-Galatae

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

Quote:

Which brings me to my question. Will it be possible to fly as a different caste and in a different ship to one of the Battlecruiser classes in single player mode in BC3020AD? Ie. can I fly as a Terran/Trader in a Tarin Mk II in single player? Can I fly as a Credian/Assassin in a Violon in sing eplayer mode in BC3020AD? Or is this only supported in multiplayer?

That would be awsome, remind of of a game I played before but due to my Short Termed MeM I don't recall. But anyway that would really kick ass, if you're into that kind of stuff. Imagine being an assian you find a job off one of the star station and then go out and find the person and kill him for money. But it's S.C game so don't even bother S.C if you think this is an annoying little post. :-)

About ACM as mentioned in DeSylva's post. Maybe S.C combined it with the kick ass F.F mode. You are able to have mission is F.F if that's you thing, again I don't know about this, it's S.C's game. But the F.F in 3032 sounds amazing. My little fantasy about Wars being fought will finally come true I suppose.

quote:

The idea is that there is only one of this in the game. Its a prototype and you are the only one with access to it.

If my plan goes right, you'll never get to see this baby until you make Fleet Commander or so.

If that is the case (and it makes sense, like a reward) then remember to include the option to "capture" it for us Insurgents.

Should you not do that then I suppose I'll just have to fake it. Y'know, pretend to be a Galcom commander until I get promoted. Grab this ship and it's bye-bye baby, turn on the heater and I'm outta there, see y'all tomorrow.

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

quote:

Damn that is a NICE looking ship...you going to re-do the textures on the Galactan class the same way? Or just bump up the resolution the current textures?

Just bumping up the texture to 16-bit with no other visible changes.

quote:

Derek: hmm, not so sure about losing the ACM campaigns. Maybe you could contract one of your Testers to put together an ACM for you, and save you the time and the trouble? I just think structured missions are more appropriate for a military ship.

Yes, but I would rather leave the fate of my game's development in the hands of developers with a stake in it. No offense, but if the testers were that enthusiastic about it, you would have seen GBS missions appearing by now for the public. I have no faith in this. As far as I know, only Jon and Pan know how to use it and they have real life commitments to worry about. So, no, I will not do any ACM missions. If I have time, I'll do about 10 or so for newbie training, but thats it.

quote:

Multiplayer only. Remember, the game is about GALCOM military, nothing else. The reason I put in the ACM Insurgent mission was because I wanted to promote the Insurgent presence, especially since they are not some bunch of fanatics that you can easily discard as the odd raider. There is already support to start off as an Insurgent Commander at an Insurgent station. But thats the extent of it. What I have to do now is budget the creation of images for the personnel and pilots. I was going to ask Crista (who did the current ones) to do them sometime soon. I still have to figure out what ship to give the Insurgent side. Either way, the ship schematics would have to fit in Logistix. Since the Insurgents are from Earth, it wouldn't be odd to give them access to a MK2 Battlecruiser. So, to save the aggravation of modifying Logistix, I'll give them this ship, which means, no access to the Starion, except in multiplayer. So, the plan if I have time, is to have support for Terran military or Terran Insurgent in single-player.

In multiplayer, you chose what the heck you like. There are only 16 players (maybe higher depending on the performance results from the open-beta testing). Each class you chose, will determine how you play. For instance, if you chose a BC, you won't get to launch any fighters. Each fighter,shuttle,atv you have, will be another player. So you can log on, chose a BC and anyone else joining can jump in as one of your support ships. In fact, I may just restrict each game to 4 BCs that you have to chose from. It is very, very difficult to design multiplayer for this game without losing some of the single-player freedom and I've lost a lot of sleep doing the design and making it balanced. There is no way, I'm going to have 16 players have access to a complement of 12 support crafts and 40 marines.

One idea I had was to have each server have a set of assets. So, you log on and pick a side depending on the server config.

So, if the server only allows:

race Terran, Gammulan, Vesperon

caste Insurgent, Military, Trader

You can then chose from a list of assets.

Each side will have a number of stations, planets and moons in their own regions. So if the Terran Insurgent side has 2 stations, and 2 starbases, you will start from one of them. If they have 4 BC, 4 shuttles, 4 ATVs, 4 fighters, 4 marine slots, you pick one. Whatever you pick, will launch you from the selected station/base. Here is the scenario.

1Log on and chose Terran/Military

2Select GALCOM HQ

3Select a BC

4Launch from GALCOM HQ in Earth region

or

1Log on and chose Terran/Insurgent

2Select SYGAN starbase

3Select a marine

4Launch from SYGAN starbase planet

So, when you browse the server, it shows you what is available and you can chose to play or find another server. You should also be able to see the stats for each space/planet/side before you log on.

If you decide to be a trader, you have your work cut out for you. smile.gif

We have the usual chat between sides or open-air broadcast, repairs will be free at your station (they are resupplied at intervals), trading helps the players have supplies when the station is either destroyed (and being rebuilt) or when it has none. He, I can just see someone logging on as a trader and buying up all the Vagrants and go scalping. smile.gif Player to player exchange works the same way it works now as far as transfers are concerned. To prevent pkilling, there is no incentive to destroy a trader in order to steal his cache because a cargo pod of his goods is not created.

Again, it is all down to design and gameplay testing. It is my first foray into this sort of thing, which is why I'm making it an open beta.

Like everything advanced in BC3K, mp is about team play. If you are commanding a BC and you have 4 players as fighters, you already know what you have to worry about. I am also going to add the ability for players to log on as a turret gunner in either the station or a deployed BC. That is the easy part.

In fact, the restrictions in the BC:3020AD mp are what prompted me to consider doing a full blown, 1000 person per server online on game, BC3K Online due out around the end of 2000 sometime. It will use the same kernel code but allows more players and more options and longer tweaking/testing time. The plan is to make it a pay for play service like Everquest, UO etc. It will probably be the first non-RPG online universe.

quote:

Just bumping up the texture to 16-bit with no other visible changes.

But I guess you need a bit more of texture resolution if you're gonna have people walking on the hull.

quote:

In multiplayer, you chose what the heck you like

And what happens with the Logistix (and all other frontends for that matter) problem? I don't think you'll be doing frontend graphics, Logistix ship layouts, etc for all the ships in the game smile.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

Quote:

For instance, if you chose a BC, you won't get to launch any fighters. Each fighter,shuttle,atv you have, will be another player. So you can log on, chose a BC and anyone else joining can jump in as one of your support ships. In fact, I may just restrict each game to 4 BCs that you have to chose from. It is very, very difficult to design multiplayer for this game without losing some of the single-player freedom and I've lost a lot of sleep doing the design and making it balanced. There is no way, I'm going to have 16 players have access to a complement of 12 support crafts and 40 marines.

Hell yeah, I fly a Intercepter and protect

the B.C anyday in multiplayer. I will just let somebody else dot he hard part of planning the attack. That way my dream of becoming a full time Intercepter pilot will fianlly come true :-). Only applies in Multiplayer though, I'm sure S.C will make singleplayer very very intresting to play.

Imagine while the brass type are planning attacks on Insurgents I will just sit back and chat with the marines. THen suddenly the man you aircraft alert sounds, I run to the intercepter bay. Climb into my intercepter and launch into space for another hard working day dogfighting the Insurgents. !!!

quote:

But I guess you need a bit more of texture resolution if you're gonna have people walking on the hull.

Resolutions are restricted to 256x256. If its coarse, its coarse. Can't have everything.

quote:

And what happens with the Logistix (and all other frontends for that matter) problem? I don't think you'll be doing frontend graphics, Logistix ship layouts, etc for all the ships in the game

I have something in mind, if that does not work, then I guess everyone is restricted to BCs and ICs. Won't bother me either way.

quote:

And what happens with the Logistix (and all other frontends for that matter) problem? I don't think you'll be doing frontend graphics, Logistix ship layouts, etc for all the ships in the game

quote:

I have something in mind, if that does not work, then I guess everyone is restricted to BCs and ICs. Won't bother me either way.

Can anybody around here really read Gammulan, Credian, Empirian, etc.? Five will get you ten all the frontends will be in English. smile.gif

Chalk it up to the idea that all the basic systems were reverse engineered from Syrionian and Droidian artifacts found around the galaxy, so everybody's systems look and function pretty much the same.

------------------

Cmdr Pherrett

GCV-STRATOS

[This message has been edited by Lynx Pherrett (edited 04-11-99).]