Meet the Starion MK3 Battlecruiser

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmediic!!! Hit me with a brick, 'cause I'm freaking out of joy here. I almost tried to jump inside my screen. Man, what a view.

(PII 400MHz is on it's way, now all I need is a 3d card, and it's freakin' again)

Thanks SC,

Rico

ANTIMATTER?!?!?!? That is too neat. So if you lose magnetic contaiment on those nacelles, they blow!!! Can you eject them if you get in a tight spot? When it comes time to design the Enterprise-F, they should talk to you SC!! Whew...Where's my Riddlen?

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Armistice

[This message has been edited by Firehawk (edited 04-14-99).]

Antimatter nacelles!!!

Cool. I take it that the MkIII does not use Radine for fuel then?

BTW I was right!! It IS the XO's still!!!!

------------------

Commander Badgerius, GCV Diligence

ooooooooooooh, *urgle...thump!* Nobody better pinch me, I like this dream. Geez, that thing is awsome, I guess when I build my computer for college I'll have to get an AMD k7(or maybe that russian processor if it comes out soon) with all the bells and whistles in order to run this thing ;-)

I can already see this game being being my nemesis during my freshman year at college, maybe you should put a warning label on it "Warning this game may cause its user excessive loss of sleep and/or

hallucinations during real life" those pictures made my day a lot better even considering the fact that today was my 17th birthday *g* When 3020 comes out I will be running to the store to get it, actually running is far too slow, anybody know how I could bypass the speed of light and get to the store a bit faster? ;-)

Cmdr. Yazin Re'trat

ICV Lightspeed

[This message has been edited by Friez12 (edited 04-14-99).]

Guest Neath Southern Skies

Droool.............

Looks exceedingly good.

------------------

'Neath Southern Skies

Commander Robertson

GCV Southern Skies

[This message has been edited by Neath Southern Skies (edited 04-19-99).]

Can't believe it - been away for a few weeks, and look whats going on

Mmmm Mmmm - tasty

Any chance of an updated AVI just to see how good that looks (i.e. camera pans across bay, then up and out of the BC) SC? I know i'll probably get slapped for asking, but when you post screenshots like that it's almost criminal not to give us a "taste" smile.gif

Fury

quote:

The only thing IMHO that looks a little funny, is that the *ready one* interceptor position will have a slight problem with ramming ATVs in an emergency launch.

Only a jackass engineer would assume that any craft would be allowed to launch from their docked position. Ever see ops on an aircraft carrier?

quote:

How about swapping the *ready one* slot with the ATV slot?

Thanks but I don't need any suggestions. Those shots were prelim. Go back and read my description before posting, please.

This is the problem with posting prelim shots, the thread takes a life of its own and evolves into a pointless, ...why not do this? rhetoric that (a) I ignore (B) clogs the thread.

Get yourself a fresh set of diapers or pampers and then look at this image

http://www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shot...d/bcimage12.jpg

Still not done yet. Note the old personnel used for scaling ref. btw, had to use a 35mm camera lens to take this shot in order to capture the entire area. So, the height from the top of the ship deck1 to the bottom, deck3, may seem inaccurate. Take a look at the guy floating in the air for a size reference.

Changed the ship arrangement so that that center lane is used for taxing pre-launch

craft.

You lose control of the craft once it is over that circular section in the bay. This is point where the camera transition sequence shoots you out of the craft and the point which you lose control and exit the craft when you dock. You can select manual our auto-launch for all crafts. If you select auto, then it works like it currently does but if you are in an ext cam view, you will actually see the model leave that bay, just like the missiles. If you select manual then you will be sitting in the craft and on that lane. You can then use an ext cam view to look around, you cannot exit the craft! Once you are ready to launch, press a key, the bay opens, and the transition happens. You get flight control when you are clear of the BC.

btw, you can be sitting in the bay while everything else is going on outside because you are in the actual ship model. So if there is a fire fight going on outside, you will see it if the bay door is open (the force field will be active)! Same as if you were in a turret.

The chargers are in the walls (see panel texture) next to each craft. Enter some codes in that panel, a panel opens, extract the charging unit and plug into the craft. This is just an explanation of the logic regarding charging the craft, not something you have to do btw.

More soon, once this is all wrapped up.

Holy sweet mother of mercy halleluia praise the SC those images kick my butt all the way into next Tuesday!! I mean, is it at all possible that this game could get any cooler?!? WOW!! Now, if we could just see it in action... smile.gif

'Make that 2 bricks!!'

One stuppid question though. What's that circular big thing above the 'engineering' marking. Looks like an airlock of something but that doesn't really make sense. Unless ofcourse for the failing forcefields situation, but I'll just stick to the question and let SC awnser.

Rico

A Marine walks over to the CIC and hands him over a datapad.

Anticipating the CIC's question, the Marine simply states:

"Its from That Annoying Commander thats in the brig Sir."

The pad reads:

"Chief, whats that thing outside my cell window... sure doesnt look like a Galactan... oh wait... oh my!.... its BEAUTIFULL!! Cant wait to see the inner specs.. or be on its bridge (if I ever get outta here). When can I leave this hole? Ah great, here comes that marine again to nab my 'pad and tell me to shut up... well, I guess I'll just stare at this beauty and drool for the time being. -Tac-"

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 04-15-99).]

The final screenshots look incredible - blows Wing Commander - and every other game - away!!!

One question that I hope is not too frivolous:

Will the other flyable BCs (Galactan and maybe Constellation) be treated to this same level of graphical detail (articulated turrets, detailed docking bays) as the Starion? I bring this up because an earlier post said that the only changes you planned to make to the older models was to retexture them in 16 bit color. I hope the other models will receive the royal treatment the Starion is receiving, because otherwise players will have to play for quite awhile to go up in rank enough to get the Starion with its outstanding details.

SC: my apologies if this is a frivolous question.

All the models will be touched up somewhat, but not to a drastic degree. There won't be any external visible turrets in the Galactan because that would be upgrading the class. I gave Jason (modeller) some leeway in this regard, but this is a franchise, and you can't change too much. I only added the Starion on a whim. And no, there won't be any manual docking in any ship class other than the Starion (nor in multiplayer), so there is an incentive to work you butt off and get promoted.

However, all the stations will have internal docking bays similar to what you see in the Starion because they will also support manual docking.

SC, this is WAY off the subject, but talking about battlecruiser classes and all, It seems that I remember that originally in battlecruiser (The '93-'94 era) text file I read about said that the player would command the Constellation class and I know for sure that I read something 4 Renegade class Interceptors. Just curious.

I know I'LL be excited to take flight in a Constellation class in 3020, I like them. (Not to mention the Starion of course smile.gif )

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Armistice

SC,

My new mission is life is to steal the Starion Class BC for the Insurgency. I'm sure I can twist Rattlers arm to get him to help. hehe!

If you keep posting these new FANTASTIC Images you are going to drive most of your commanders into the nut house waiting for 3020.

Actually your girlfriend can probably help us steal it as well. Women have their ways you know!

Cmdr. Stickman

ICV Star Cutter

Ahh.. a better brig! A home away from home! :-)

There is something that does nag me a bit chief... correct me if I'm wrong, but the Starion will be the only one that will be able to target individual subsystems and will be the only one with the movable turrets and manual docking features.

So from that I infer that you will be able to target a Constellation's PTA and blow it off...or its bridge *G*... but can a Constellation target a Starion's PTA and blow it off or will the player have to manually aim for those turrets (I mean, the place where the PTA is located)?

"added the Starion on a whim"

Man, what a powerful whim that was...

Final thought before that Marine comes and whips my butt again:

The sequel takes place 20 years after the original...well, nowadays the military upgrades the internal electronics of their crafts every 10 years or so (at least in my country they do). Should we expect to see some improvements in the older classes? I believe the improved TacOps would fall under this category, so I'm just curious to know if the Starion will be the only one to have the improved TacOps. :-)

Mighty good show chief!

Firehawk, If I recall correctly I believe CIC said something about he was thinking about starting a commander out with the Contellation class ship and then through rank promotions the Galatacan class and eventually the Starion class will be made advailable. Search the posts in this thread and I'm sure you'll come aross it.

Something just came to mind. I know that we'll be able to board and take other ships with the strike pak add on. So, will we have the option of taken over a ship and then commanding that ship, like making it our command vessle? Just asking because I know it's alot of insurgents (and others) out there that would love to board and take the new Starion class ship and make it there command vessle or possiblely any ship that is better than what is currently their command vessle.

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-16-99).]

quote:

There is something that does nag me a bit chief... correct me if I'm wrong, but the Starion will be the only one that will be able to target individual subsystems and will be the only one with the movable turrets and manual docking features.

Moveable parts has nothing to do with independent targeting. All ships and stations will have independent systems that can be targeted. Surely, you don't think that because you can target the reactor on GHQ, that it is a moveable part do you?

The only reason the turrets are moveable is for realism so that they actually turn toward the direction they are firing - its called animation. smile.gif Right now, they do that but all you see is the vector from which they fire, you don't see an actual turret.

Guest REAPERMAN

Big thumbs up SC,

She's a hell of a ship and I can't wait to fly her.

It's gonna be a great Christmas this year,

If I get my Christmas wish that is.

Oh, One more thing I would like to take this oppertunity to say Thanx for the great experience and fun of BC3K SC.

------------------

JOE BARRETT

Commander

GCV-DEMON

I threw one more image to the post on GNN. This just shows the retractable landing gear for the BC. The IC will have those as well. I can't do a planetary shot because PTE-II is still in development and the renderer is not yet finished.

http://www.bc3000ad.com/images/screen_shot...d/bcimage16.jpg