New technologies in BC3020

Guest Azverkan

Guest Azverkan

1) Will we see any better control support,

such as Force Feedback and Direct Input?

2) Will there be a Linux port or anything

similiar?

p.s. I would be willing to help with either

of these two ideas.

Also, you had mentioned that you wanted to

get into a popular universe (aka Battlestar

Galatica). One possibility for you to check

out is the Robotech universe. I know that

there was a project for the N64 labeled

Robotech: Crytstal Dreams which was canceled

when Gametek when out of business. The game

was supposedly 90% completed. Although you

sound like you plan on using the PC engine, you could probably salvage almost all artwork. (it would probably be fairly

expensive to get the license though).

------------------

http://skynet.telefragged.com/

Guest Azverkan

I am willing to accept the loss of force feedback support, although no space sim feels right without it.

As for the linux port, it may be easier to do than it sounds (i.e. less than one week development). There is a project for intel based linuxes called wine (www.winehq.com) that is supposed to be a pretty good emulator some day (got it to run Starsiege Tribes, btw). It has pretty good DirectX support, and all I ask is that you look into it. (or one of your lackeys).

The hardcore and enthusiast gamer has a WIN9x rig, why would I want to waste my time supporting another OS? It won't happen and I have no intentions of looking into it at least until the WIN9x as a gaming platform, dies.

lackeys? you mean my support staff don't you?

Guest Azverkan

I didn't really figure that you would, but hey, it was worth the try. Its just something about the fact that I've seen NT5 and its not good. BC3000 is a technological leap game and it will use all the horsepower you can supply it.

Is it wrong for a gamer to demand that a game run on a operating system known for speed and stability, rather than annoying wizards that pop up and ask how you are going to connect to the internet while you are playing?

I have WIN2000 (NT5) too since I'm on the Beta team for that and DX7, and I have no problems with it. BC:3020AD will run just fine with it.

As for the wizard popping up, that has nothing to do with the OS but more than likely a problem with the app you are trying to run. Compared to WIN9x, NT4 with SP5 or WIN2000, are much, much better.

Guest Azverkan

I wasn't specifically referring to just the wizard alone, there are hundreds of problems with windows and that is just one example.

As far as Win2000, I was referring to the fact that it is slower than expected. Anything less than a P400 is not going to boot it in your lifetime. Plus there is the added incentive of it being a 64 bit operating system (i.e. boolean values now take up 64 bits), so anything less than 64 megs of ram and your computer will need to utilize a swap file in order to boot. Even stupid stuff like regedit use 1 to 10 megs of ram. Compiling with visual c++ isn't fast until you have at least 300 megs of ram. Although it does appear to be more stable, it still has stop errors that prevent you from booting (NT's biggest fault), and these still don't attempt to fix themselves. Plus, if you have a server, it will endlessly reboot to the blue screen of death without attempting to fix its problem.

Another example of NT's incompetence that you can't ignore is if a hard drive goes bad while your running NT, it is an instant crash, lose all data, return to start. Whereas in Linux, you can mount your drive readonly and attempt to fix the problem while your process control equipment is still running. You can swap hard drives in & out on the fly without crashing in linux and you can swap some pc cards in and out as well.

Although the biggest advantage of Linux is you have ALL the source code, so you can attempt to figure out why something isn't working properly. Whereas NT is a Plug & Pray system. Plug in the card/software, and pray to God that it works. Although Microsoft has stated that they may release their source code, there are still millions of drivers out there that you will never be able to get source code for.

Anyway enough rambling, if you would have asked me 6 months ago, I would have said that Linux blows & Windows rules. But all the 5 year long projects for Linux have been starting to be relased and it is becoming a far more useful OS than Windows. Now all we have to do is wait for Wine to reach a stable point and you will never have to reinstall windows again (except maybe in the x86 emulator that Linux offers).

------------------

Well, all I've known is that NT is not a gaming platform.

Anyways I'm running Win98 right now, and I know that it's in essence a different OS, but I haven't experienced any problems with it, especially the ones you describe. Booting up only takes me about 10 seconds (p233 with 64 meg of ram), and everything runs fine.

Let's just say this is a dead issue. SC has said that there isn't gonna be a Linux port, and dragging him into a dumpster and holding a gun to his head (honest joke!! *grin*) isn't gonna change his mind.

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

quote:

I have WIN2000 (NT5) too since I'm on the Beta team for that and DX7, and I have no problems with it. BC:3020AD will run just fine with it.

It won't when M$ will remove their debug information from the code. smile.gif They have the bad habit to put critical code between #if DEBUG #endif. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Pelletier

GCV - Deathwing

Guest Azverkan

Your not a developer are you Parias? There

are many bugs in Microsofts MFC libraries that will crash Win98, and its up to us programmers to figure out how to work around them. Whenever Win98 crashes completely, there is no possible way that it could be the developers code that did that. There is no access (supposedly) to the developer that allows them to do that. If a program crashes under Win98, its probably due to the fact that they didn't work around a bug in Microsoft's code correctly (or they utilized this bug to force a crash a.k.a. virus).

In fact, the definition of a Trojan Horse virus is a program that corrupts your hard drive and there is Microsoft code that when run will do this, so in definition Win98 is a Trojan Horse virus.

I have already given up on the linux port for BC3020. I will just do my best to get it running with Wine.

------------------

As there has been some discussion about NT4 and Win2000( NT5), and Win9x, wel li could not step over it.

first just as the SC said, nearly all gamers run a Win9x sys, ok lets just keep those with a playstation etc out of it, as Win9x is suited to playing games, not necessarily for real working but good for gaming, but that is just what MS said at the start, Win9x is for the broad band of users who want a EASY to setup sys, and you can't say that it is difficult to setup Win9x, if you do then try NT4, most will be lost if they don't exactly know what they are doing.

then what would be the problem of runing a dual sys, im doing it all the time, and have no probs, NT4 for working, real good but unsuited for games, and Win9x for gaming, but as MS announced NT5 should omit this need, and i can tell you NT5 is quite good, even in its Beta stage, i could lay my hands on a copy of the Beta 3, well just for looking into it, *g* and if they stick to the current guidelines they have set , i think it will be useful for both working and gaming, really useful *g*.

then Linux, well lets just face it Linux is mainly a backhand sys, don't take me wrong, i know linux, i used some time, but give a new computer user, linux as an os and he will propably sit in front of a blank monitor all his life, linux is not for the faint at heart, and just like NT4 it is not designed for gaming, even if some games run with an Win9x emulator.

then the question of the Robotech game, hm i would greatly appreciate it if someone could continue this project, on a Win9x sys *g*, as one of my favorites is just Robotech, but let us face it, it would be really difficult to produce a REALLY good Robotech game, you would have to include lots of stuff, like punshing with the robot, that not even other games of this style have, and don't think they did not try.

and just as you said the license would bankrupt Derek, forgive me if i do say that, its just my idea, as i don't think it would be cheap to get the license for something like this, in my mind more exspensive than battlestar Galactica.

and last the little quirks we all know are in Win9x, well what would live be without them, wouldn't it be boring if you could tell your computer to do this and he would do EXACTLY as you told him to ? *g* But for most of these little quirks in Win9x, and other OSes, Linux too, there are work arounds, you just have to know them, as always in live if you don't know how then you have to live with what you get.

Well lets stop my fingers do hurt a littlebit *g*

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Daniel Allard, Second in Command

ECV-Bride of Death

15th EarthCOM Planetary Force, Alpha Group

"If you Truly want to LIVE, then you have to wed Death himself!"

[email protected]

Guest Azverkan

Off the topic of this thread (and off the topic that this thread ended up at), is BC3020 modular or is everything hard coded? Most of the new games that are coming out (80% or so) allow for wannabe developers to add their little touch to the game. Any chance we might see something like this anytime soon? Specifically, I am referring to the plausibility of user created planets, star systems, ships, crew models, etc.

------------------

quote:

Specifically, I am referring to the plausibility of user created planets, star systems, ships, crew models, etc.

Do you know what the GBS is?

EAX, A3D and DS are planned.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-07-99).]

Guest Azverkan

Yes, but you mentioned that you are restricted to using scripts with GBS. I was reffering to something a little more powerful (C++).

And it doesn't mention anything about user created ships, planets, etc. on the GBS page. It just talks about how your going to release scripts for people to look at.

The scripting system is fast, powerful and does what it is designed to do...very well. There are no plans to change it. Like C++, it is a language, a scripting language.

quote:

And it doesn't mention anything about user created ships, planets, etc. on the GBS page. It just talks about how your going to release scripts for people to look at.

If you were that curious, you would download the GBS and read the work-in-progress docs. What makes you think that I'd repeat, in the forum, what is already in the docs. Also, the full description is on GNN. Seek and ye shall find.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-08-99).]

Guest Azverkan

Because I was already here, and it is much easier to find information here than searching through hundreds of pages of documentation. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Azverkan (edited 06-08-99).]