tutorial

ShadowHawk

Hiho. I'm new here (playing BC3K V.2).

About tutorials: since this topic is several months old, can I assume that there is one out there somewhere?

If you guys need help in making a tutorial, try "StarFleet 2 : Krellan Commander". It's another battlecruiser game, from something like 15 years ago, with a similar complexity for its time. It had progressive missions, where you first start out just flying around and scanning planets, then you start getting orders to do things like establish mini-bases, capture unarmed ships, and so on.

I wouldn't mind a tutorial which included 2 things: capturing enemy ships and mining. These 2 things are goals, and not actions. Sure I can aim a tractor beam at a ship, or fly around it until it vaporizes, but how do I purposely disable and capture it? Also, mining is in the game, so can I just tell a shuttle "go and mine"? Do I need to select a special part of a planet? Do I need to select an uninhabited planet?

I like the idea of a small battle universe, but perhaps similar training areas for mining and exploration should be created. For example, a universe where your guns are roast, no enemy ships appear, and you have tons of fuel, so you can just fly around and scan planets.

While "free flight" can be a tutorial, the problem is that it doesn't teach the *possibilities* well - can ships be captured? Do you tractor beam them in, or can you board them with marine shuttles or transport marines to their ships? And so on.

In other words, the game is so huge it's REALLY easy to stumble around in the dark for a LONG time before you get the hang of what you're doing. biggrin.gif

But seriously, I love a game where intelligent and creative gameplay is rewarded. Few games actually reward creativity as opposed to brute force and lightning reflexes.

------------------

CODE 0 0 0 ... DESTRUCT 0

quote:

but how do I purposely disable and capture it?

Simply, you don't. Atleast not a ship. The only way you can control another ship's destiny is to blow it to pieces or tractor it to a starstation and drop it on the station commander's desk. smile.gif(dock and deliver) But this is suppost to be put in the New commanders forum, or atleast retrieved from the Tips, techniques forum. I'm sure it's there. Same goes for mining the planets. (RTFM)

The tutorial is, how should I put this, 'not even in consideration for progress'. That's the last thing I heard about it. Doing a search on 'tutorial' and posts from the SC might give you the exact answer. The man is too busy with other things. I think it's on the far end of the 'to-do'-list. Maybe not even there.

quote:

it doesn't teach the *possibilities* well

I'm not the one to say this but, it wasn't intended for that purpose. That's what the manual is for. Free flight is just playing without a higher-in-command who commands you.

And stumbling around in the dark for a long time is just what makes the fun part. Exploration smile.gif

Rico

BTW Something for us both to learn. (Didn't notice it myself):

BC:3020AD, BC3K Strike Pak & BC3K Online, discussions only!

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 06-04-99).]

Well said Rico. Anyway, I have been thinking about doing a tutorial for BC:3020AD...yes, it is on the very END of the to-do list. I'll probably get one of my testers do it and I have just the right person in mind.