New BCM and BC3020AD SP Shots

Supreme Cmdr

Oh no: he's done it, again!

A real, virtual 3D cockpit! Great stuff, chief! Along with the new flight dynamics, this will surely give The Game a new feeling, leaving all those shooters behind in the dust... wink.gif

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Errr....Thomas! Psst! Did Ya notice all those whistles, bells,....AND Active Indicators there? Something tells me that we are about to embark on IFR flight dynamics for those nasty, dusty, low visibility planets! biggrin.gif

If so, Bring it on SC! wink.gif

Once again, You guys are in the kitchen with this one. Really Cooking, Really Cooking indeed! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"

Previously posted on the beta testing mailing list. The explanation for the new 3D cockpits.

quote:

Anyway, I changed the cockpits of all ships, including the battlecruiser bridge (nothing to do with the SP) for a lot of reasons. Mostly ease of programming, ease of use, lighting, advancement etc.

I also completely revamped the displays and in my instructions to Jason, detailed exactly what was changed. Back when I designed the v2.0x cockpits in '95, I think I went overboard. So, I have significantly simplified it. The NID/TACSCAN, ILD and CVD, remain as is. The SSS is no longer a graphic with dots in it (it will look like crap when the 3D cockpit it rotated and anti-aliasing and filtering will kill it even more). Instead, each of the systems will just be a color coded indicator. The HID, SID, RPD, LPD, SPD and APD are also now located in a single SSD display. The MFS was also re-designed. A new display (I finally decided this afternoon) called the AHD (Artificial Horizon Display) will

also be functional. The non-functional one in the shots will be functional when on a planet.

Also, the co-pilot now shares all the systems as the pilot, but he still has a dedicated TACSCAN display. Since he sits behind the pilot (the same 3D model is used and Jason is working on his section right now), you can still switch from pilotcopilot at will. I will also be having Roger's pilot model in there (the same one used in the SP) in a sitting position (this will be a config option due to the processing speed required) so that if you are flying in formation and glance over at another of your ICs, you will see the pilot. This won't be done for the NPC crafts for obvious reasons.

For the BC bridge, Jason is going to be building the commander's Rapid Command Access (RCA) station which is located in the Forward Command section of the bridge (level 2 where his qtrs are). This module, while not shown in the SP, is a hidden platform. The commander walks over to a panel and activates it or, tells Mother to do it. This simply raises a self-contained console area, with seating, in front of the bridgeviewer. From here, the commander can still command his craft, access stations etc, without ever going upstairs to the main bridge area. So, when Jason builds the 3D bridge, it will be of the RCA instead of that main bridge you see on deck1 in the SP. This means that, like the IC cockpit, he will be in his seat and all he has to do is press a button, turn his head etc, to access any of the systems (NID, CVD, TACSCAN etc). Since it is in 3D, the data, including that of the bridgeviewer, is also superimposed in virtual 3D space. Of course, you can toggle this off and return to the traditional in-your-face display (fullscreen display) as seen in the v2.0x series. There won't be a bitmap of the bridge, just what he can see via his VR eyepiece.

I leave for two weeks and I come back to THIS! This is... SC... I want those ships in my xmas sock! It's big enough for it, trust me smile.gif

Maybe I'll just stay home this summer and save every penny for a new computer!

------------------

Commander David Foss, GCV Deterrence

Cool shots. All of them. Especially some of the IC cockpit shots. You see what he's doing Rattler? He's still trying to take out Insurgent assets. wink.gif

The suspense is killer.

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

Yes, I see that Charles! Grrrrrr! But he's got to do it. It's in his DNA, not to mention his job! > We

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"

Ok....... NOW my jaw is on the ground. Those cockpit and SP shots are simply incredible. I was a little excited about bc3020 before, now I'm going to have to tell my wife that I have another woman ("Mother")in my life and I want a divorce! ;D