Combat Awareness

I was playing the other day when the *beep**beeep**beeeeeeeeeeeeeep* of a closing missile slammed an idea into me hard head (and my interceptor bays... poor FE's *sigh*):

This tiny little beep gave SO much information! So vital! Since the start of BC3K I always had a hard time keeping track of what was going on when flying from the bridge... what was close, what was far, what was coming after me, who was shooting who,etc.

Unless you go to TacOps you get no notion of what's going on in the region, and even then, we spend most of the time in a zoomed view of the area where the BC and support craft are operating.

My suggestion for any future releases/patches:

Have the bridge crew inform you what's going on. That's why they are there in the first place wink.gif.

The crew now gives you some info, but the info I'm thinking of would be something like:

1) Inform you when ships launch/jump in or out/dock in the region you are in with an armor/shield indicator, ship class and player's ship name (if its a player-conrolled ship)

Ex: "Terran/Mil 100%/100% GCV "Graf Spee" BC has jumped into the region at (gatename) gate (or wormhole)"

2) Inform you when ships in your priority list go below 50% armor.

Ex: "Terran/Insurgent 45%/0% ICV "Wasa" BC is heavily damaged."

3) Inform you of destroyed cap ships and who got the kill.

Ex: "Gammulan/Military MRT-15 AI (since this is an AI ship) destroyed by GCV "Warlord" (or if it was by another AI, then "destroyed by Terran/Mil AI BC)"

4) Inform you when friendly ships in your priority list are being fired upon and by who.

Ex: "GCV "Warlord" 100%/40% under attack by ICV "Wasa" 100%/50%

(the bridge officers would inform you this once every 20 secs, otherwise the board would be spammed by every impact the Warlord receives).

If we could have this constant flow of info on an multi-function display or anywhere it wouldn't block visibility on TacOps, it would help players keep track of what's going on.

Yet another hopeful suggestion,

*looks at the airlock*

*starts hyperventilating*... wink.gif

This is a great idea, when I'm busy smash- er, "destroying" enemy ships, it's a bit hectic sometimes and I can't be in 5,000 places at once (as much as I try smile.gif). If this is possible to implement.. well, that'd rock!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Security Patrol, Pre-commissioning Detail, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

Probes give too much info. Besides enemy ships attack them as soon as they would you.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

3rd squadron,Corsair Wing

Stationed,Starbase Cerberus

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

Odd, I've never had an enemy craft destroy a probe.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-15-2000).]

Tac - probes monitoring a system (whether ye be in it or not) report 85%-90% of what ye be wishing fer. Peruse ye CommLog now then.

When things get hot and heavy their be a thing called Information overload that can lead to confusion rather that clarification. F-4 Phantom pilots experienced this in combat in SE Asia during late '60s early '70s.

Guest aramike01

There was a certain general that complained of that as recently as the Gulf War.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

My probe was destroyed about two months ago. While studying the Armia region, after I had destroyed Tulon.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

3rd squadron,Corsair Wing

Stationed,Starbase Cerberus

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

My probe was destroyed by a insurgent about a week after I launched it. It crippled my patrol route because I didn't know where anybody was anymore. frown.gif...but to keep this on topic I'm going to add to Tac's idea.

Perhaps being able to select which reports you'll receive? That way commanders good set the flow of information to exactly what they wanted.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Bandus (edited 03-16-2000).]