Its official - GALCOM.NET

Supreme Cmdr

Nice SC. Too bad it's pay for play. That cuts me out of multiplayer.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

*3rd squadron, Marauder Wing

Stationed, Starbase Fenrir

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

Yes, it is a pity. Still, I guess it is required to run something like this, it takes money to run those servers. Maybe, if I have unmetered access and a steady job by then, just maybe... smile.gif (the job thing ain't that likely, i'll probably be in university by the time its released frown.gif )

------------------

Cmdr. A.R. Thomas

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV-Victorinox

"A small mind is easily filled with faith"

Well, like I said, I've got an Everquest account that I can drop in an instant when the time comes.. smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

Where do I sign up at???

biggrin.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

J. Smith, you will still have free multiplayer on BCM. GCO is just a more massive environment.

Besides, I suspect that most of you regulars here will have free accounts from me anyway. So, don't sweat it. Am always here to take care of my tribe. And remember, we'll need Game Masters anyway or a lot of newbies are gonna be lost out there and just filling up space on the server (even if they're paying $10 a month biggrin.gif) And who better to take care of those morons who disrupt online games (player killers), than the seasoned vets who know the game environment inside and out?

hehe, anyway I look at it SC, its gonna be a whole lotta fun smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

I look forward to those 1000 player server days. BCM Multiplayer will make for good practice... wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

*1st Squadron, *SIN Wing

Stationed, *Starstation Wrath

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way." - John Paul Jones

ICQ 32545391, CST

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

Prime Fleet Liason Officer

Yeah Parias I feel you man. If it comes down to it I can drop my Evercrack account and my UO account. I'm a bit tired of killing trolls anyway. smile.gif

I can't wait for summer 2001 I live for online only games. Nothing like good ole human interaction in a massive online world. biggrin.gif

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-06-2000).]

That's good SC, cause I'm only 15. As it stands right now I'm trying to get a job(but it's not a sure thing)

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

*3rd squadron, Marauder Wing

Stationed, Starbase Fenrir

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

[This message has been edited by J.Smith (edited 04-06-2000).]

I'll drop my Everquest account as soon as GCO is ready to go. (last time I played EQ was...6 months ago anyway) I'm 16, but my a fortunate bit of luck I was offered a job by a dentist so I've started saving up. ::grins:: I have over 3 years of payments ready to go SC...

SC You gonna pick beta testers like you normally do? Or is there a possiblity that you'll have open ended beta testing?

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

IMHO, $10 is really reasonable... even cheap considering it will be unlimited time (right?).

I've been playing the free 2 week trial of Aces High (WW2 Online Sim) and they charge an impossible $30 a month, and the game isn't even finished yet! Their planes have no flaps, bad modeling (until they put flaps in), etc... quite amazing. Good graphics and community in there though.

$10 is really cool, it's not expensive, its easily accessible to anyone with a job (and time to play BC3K), and allows the "1 month account to see what this is" kinda crowd.. and HOOK EM!

I believe SC, that we will need INSTRUCTORS as well to teach the hordes of newbies that will be coming in... with BC3K's high learning curve, I think this would be nice to have in order to prevent players from becoming discouraged and dropping their accounts after 2 days of getting killed constantly and not having a clue of what's going on.

Good thing we got the Marine Corps to put em in as well... I foresee Massive Migrations (notice the capital M's) from Quake, Tribes and Unreal Tournament into this game.. yum yum! smile.gif

PK's? Thats the whole point of the game! wink.gif As long as you dont shoot your own side of course hehehe.

SUMMER 2001? WHOOHOO! JUST in time for my return from Japan! SC ye ROOOCK! biggrin.gif

Yep 10 bucks is the going rate for the new breed of online games but of course you shell out the first time fee of $60 to buy the game.

And pking will have to be address in a different manner from how other online games have been dealing with it. What's to keep me from signing on with one faction then in the middle of a battle switch sides (revealing my true allegince) and start blasting my teammates?

I honoestly hope it's set up with only one character slot per server for you. A person really doesn't need multiple slots for characters on one server then you would have a number of problems arising from that.(Muling, playing different factions against each other, etc.)

What would be nice to see (or something similar) is when a player create a new character and he choses from the out set as to what faction or path they will follow, then that character would be put in a starstation or starbase based on those decisions. And if a person decided that, that career path isn't the right one for them they could also resign from a military faction and live the life of a trade or such (or vise versa). There's alot of possiblites for GCO and I'm sure SC will do an excellent job in hammering them all out. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-07-2000).]

Count me in! I will pay just so I can bust some newbie brains smile.gif, Tac you fogot Soldier Of Fortune, I bought couple days ago, what a freakin cool game, in it's little own FPS ways of course smile.gif.

BTW I can tell already that BC tatical eng aka Strike Pak is going to rule, especially sweet with it's location damage model!

[This message has been edited by SpacePhish (edited 04-07-2000).]

Tac, I think I've refered to 'Game Masters' (working title) before - that means, you lot biggrin.gif

I think the caste of GMs would be Police or Military and of course, just like on this site, GMs will have the ability to kick someone off the server.

Because of how the galaxy is divided and because GCO is going to be bases heavily on rank (like BCM), newbies will always start out at the lowest rank, in any caste. Of course, if you want to be a carrier commander, you have to start as a fledgling pilot, work your way up the ranks with EPs and you'll get your own spanking new cruiser, then on to carrier etc. Of course, you can reject it and just be a lowly pilot.

I see a well defined career path, even for marines assigned to starbases or starstations, complete with ranks, medals and other rewards which make playing worthwhile.

As for the FP crowd, like I mentioned in my GNN post, they will only have to read a 4 page manual which shows how to move and blow stuff up. Thats it. Nothing else.

Anyway, most of the gameplay issues will find their preliminary form in BCM, so, we'll have a full six months or so, to flesh them out. For one thing, BCM will only provide first person control as a marine and manual control of another vehicle (undecided), while GCO makes all units available for control.

In RPGs, gamers aspire for wealth and stats. And most of these goals, while attainable, end up being boring, repetitive or frustrating after awhile, IMO of course. But, in a game such as GCO where the play options alone as just so overwhelming, its hard to figure out what to do, once you're tried of being a grunt, running around on a planet.

PKs are definitely allowed in the game, but there will be rules. Because you have to target something to fire at it, even with your lasers, it is easy to detect intent, in some cases. So, my idea is to use this, along with a meter, to determine when enough is enough and to call in the NPC police caste. Believe me, these guys will be so powerful (as you will see in BCM), that it won't be worth it to have them gunning for you. Apart from that, I'm going to set aside an entire star system, for newbies alone - sort of a training ground, rife with Police. Once you've reached a certain rank and experience, you're automatically ejected from there as you're no longer a newbie. biggrin.gif

This is definitely going to be fun. It's going to require a different thought process from the norm to become totally successful. Right On Derek! I guess I better start shopping for that new hat that has GM stencilled on the back! biggrin.gif

Rattler, Insurgent One At Large

The scope of all this is amazing! I just hope i'm good enough at the game by then to rise up through the ranks!

I wonder what the procedure would be if you were in a squad of grunts and one of the players decides to try and kill all his team-mates. I admit this sort of thing will be less likely when you have to pay for the privelige of playing, but you will no doubt still get the odd one or two.

------------------

Cmdr. A.R. Thomas

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV-Victorinox

"A small mind is easily filled with faith"

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

quote:

3000AD is currently in talks with major online sites and ISPs in the strategic deployment of co-located servers in key locations, in order to deliver the ultimate Internet gaming experience with minimum lag.

Could this mean a server set up in Australia. At the moment, lag is what worries me the most about GCO.

------------------

Commander Josh Dilvorn

GCV Conquest ISS06

Defense Wing Commander - ISS Fleet

ISS Homepage GCV Conquest Home

Guest aramike01

Well, guess I'm gonna have to mortgage the house to play BC Online...yeah right. SC, all this sounds great! I'll make a commander out of my wife with this deal! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Guest aramike01

Just realized (as my wife hits me over the head)... Angie is the one and only Commander!

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"