This ain't no space sim no more....

Supreme Cmdr

I didn't say they were dumb, I said that I may have dumbed down the game as a whole. There is a difference. And the part of the AI that I was refering to, was the target acquisition logic, which is only a couple of neutrons from the overall brain of that unit. Nothing major.

The AI is a dynamic entity and can't be scaled via config settings, only in the training code.

In much the same way cloaking, the HSD etc, don't ruin any gameplay, I don't expect the SRU to.

Drool.......

Thank god I just got a raise!

New computer, here I come!

You guys ever play "First Encounters"? There was a game with a huge universe! But I loved that game because it was so open ended. But it's got nothing on BC:M, and it didn't have MP!

Oh man is this gonna rock!

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

The AI could be tweeked IMO or have the tried and true easy, normal, hard, and sadistic user defined AI setting when game session is initiated. With the easy AI setting being equivocal to AI descibed at beginning of this topic.

As to new computer ... hehehe ... last component pieces due in any hour today. Killer system in the works IMO, hope it is functional biggrin.gif

Anticipation of BC:M release will cause the arrival of Summer this year seem a lifetime to me.

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 04-27-2000).]

Gallion, help me out here. Which part of the statement below, was unclear? Dunno if I explained it properly or not.

..The AI is a dynamic entity and can't be scaled via config settings, only in the training code

Guest macross

Cool!

Hmmm...the SRU sounds cool, but it also might be abused. How about something a little more...vulnerable?

I was thinking about a device that has two parts - you'd need to drop one near where your fleet is coming from, and then get (the long way) to where you want to attack, and drop off the other part. These devices could act like a human-made wormhole, teleporting any ship entering it from one to the other.

The advantage to this is that the defending forces could break the attack by destroying the gateway on their end (either through an all out attack, or by trying to sneak in a ship with enough firepower to destroy it). That would give the defenders some time as then another attacker would have to make the journey again to place the two devices.

This also brings up more possibilites, as if the defending armada turns the battle, they could chase the attackers back through the gate, and start attacking _their_ base!

You could easily limit abuse of this by limiting the number of these warpgates that can be in existance, or by the number of active ones allowed in any given sector. You could also limit what type of ship could carry/deploy the device, or even have one specific ship whose whole pupose is just to deliver the gateway device. It would be a necessary part of any decent attack fleet!

Oooh, I _like_ this...

Now you guys know why he hasn't released, and may NOT release the beta to the general public. frown.gif He's not interested in WISHLIST items. He's trying to meet a deadline and he already knows what he wants for the release in the most part. Now STOP already! OK?

Thanks,

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

quote:

only in the training code

The AI uses sophisticated neural network technology. Neural nets are trained to behave in certain ways by approximating known results based on known inputs. Then, when faced with new inputs, it interpolates the best fit result based on past training. There are also genetic algorithms that try to solve the best results for variables by repeatedly testing against an environment and allowing the survivors to "breed" descendents that also try to survive better until an optimally trained object is achieved.

quote:

He's trying to meet a deadline and he already knows what he wants

Oh, yeah?!? Then what is he doing dreaming up new stuff in the shower? wink.gif

But seriously, I've also done some of my best work in the shower...

quote:

Oh, yeah?!? Then what is he doing dreaming up new stuff in the shower?

ROTFPMSL!!!

Anyway, it occured to me in the shower that it would be a game balancing nightmare if a Gammulan player had to come all the way from Quadrant 4 to engage other players in Quadrant 1. Of course, unless you are Gammulan, you don't have to worry about it. I do, because I'm the one whose gonna take the flak.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-29-2000).]

eep!

I had a question/idea about gravity simulation, but it's mainly for BC3020, and maybe not so great so I'll ask it later, 'cos I don't particularly want to get into SC's bad books right now smile.gif"><P>ThereNow where did I put that airlock key? Hmmmm...

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

The next person to take this thread off-topic, is getting thrown out an airlock biggrin.gif. I have deleted 2 posts to it already.

In response to the deleted posts:

Supported cards and APIs are listed in the Products page. How you connect to a multiplayer server and what you use, is irrelevant. All you need to be concerned with is the speed of your connection whether it be 56K modem, xDSL, Cable or a tube with a string in it.

Ben:

Though the engine supports different gravity settings (see navchart.pdf), only the default is used for all planets. I have no plans to change it at this time due to the fact that its not just a matter of having someone floating around in zero gravity, getting the NPCs to adapt will be a major undertaking. Imagine seeing mobile SAMs floating all over the place. Sure I could cheat and have them anchored to the ground; but why go through the trouble when I can just not not implement higher than normal gravity settings? Besides that, the jetpacks for the marine infantry will be pointless in a zero gravity environment without, again, making changes to that dynamics model to compensate for the gravity loss.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 04-29-2000).]

SC your very cruel making us all wait like this!! I guess I'll just have to wait.(stomps his feet)

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

*3rd squadron, Marauder Wing

Stationed, Starbase Fenrir

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

I recommend the SRU only function with capitol ships (as opposed to fighters/shuttles etc.). In my mind it seems to help keep things balanced.

err... maybe you already thought of this? biggrin.gif

Why don't you make the SRU a server option? If the server running the game allows SRU, so be it. For 3000ad running servers you could have some that allows SRU and the others does not allow.

Personally I would want to play the game as realistic as possible, which means no SRU, then again I probably don't want to travel all the way from Gammula to Sol, but hey I'm a Insurgent, not gammie, so I'm not tripping about it. smile.gif

*BCM&BCM&BCM!!!WHENTTHA$@!KDO!GE!TOPLAY!THA!SH@!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess it all depends on how dependant you want your fighters to be on their carriers.

You had mentioned before (if this swiss-cheese-brain of mind serves me correctly)

that fighters would now be very limited in range, due to a higher fuel consumption per jump. Maybe only certain(the more expensive/sophisticated ones?) fighters would have SRU.(sounds kind of star wars-ish I know...imp TIEs were very dependant on their carriers while the rebel fighters were too, but they had more freedom and were able to hit-and-fade without the direct presence of a carrier)On the fighters that did have it, it would burn up, say, %40 fuel each time, so you could have enough jumps(with fuel left over to fly) to do a hit-and-fade, but not enough to have the range and station holding ability of a capitol ship.

But, in the end, its all up to you and I, for one, trust your decision whatever that may be.

(Which makes me wonder, after I've said all of this, why I even said it at all... biggrin.gif

Oh well, anything to help advance the great SC's Game! wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by MerfGlurf (edited 05-06-2000).]

*ROTFLOL* @ The Wavs on page 1.

Thanks SC, I feel better now the hypos have kicked in. Been away on a long term computer fixing spree (again) but now I'm back.

That reminds me, something should be heading your way soon SC.

------------------

CMDR DARIEN WOLFE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - THE BLACKSTAR

ICQ - 28445950