New interface shots.

Supreme Cmdr

Chizel: I was actually refering to MY post, sorry if you took it as a slam against yourself. It wasn't intended that way. I guess I should have dirrected my comment better.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 05-10-2000).]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats ok, think nothing of it.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Aaye SC and all. I have a question about any of the 2 Intercepters MK1-MK2 .Does anyone of them have just a 1 seater or even if both of them have a Pilot-Co pilot seat can you launch with just one pilot? It would be nice to just fly alone sometime or if you are going to steel one. GDay!

------------------

Cmdr. Chris Alan Blair

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV-Ticonderoga

IMHO, I think the Roster Image looks better.

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Indeed, dig roster.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

Yeah, I think the Roster asset images are better. Also saves on storage space since we won't need 2 sets. Great!

DreadA, no. Keyboard configuration is something I wanted to put in since v2.0x but didn't have time. IIRC, you wanted to have the manual online and in the game, a farfetched idea, I thought smile.gif Besides, I don't see how you connect keyboard configuration to online manuals. What did I miss?

And of course the Roster/Stats screen is there. You don't seriously expect me to post screen shots of every screen in the Frontend module do you?

No, I'm not posting any space or terrain shots anymore until I am ready to release the final internal Beta to the external Beta testers. I'm going to be releasing a movie in a week or so, which shows the most amazing stuff you have yet to see. Dunno if I'll put in terrain shots, but I might. It all depends on the time and the size of the movie download.

quote:

It all depends on the time and the size of the movie download.

*Pats his pr0n pipe and laughs psychotically*

Mmm, a new movie, sweet!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

I know I'm late.....Sorry! Definitley like the latter over the wire frames SC > Rattler

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Arise, Old Insurgents,

Long dead but eternal in time and space.

Forgive us NOT for what we do,

We merely take your place!" - Rattler

Why don't you simply refer to the pilots by generic callsigns such as Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Beta 1, Beta 2. Then, all of the sound files can say things like "Beta 2 Reporting Heavy Fire". Similarly with the officers. Instead of "I can't get a lock on that target, Kara", rerecord them to say "I can't get a lock on that target, Tactical", or "I can't plot a course to that destination, Helm", or "Nav Officer reporting for duty, sir."

Then, the player can rename them anything they want - the text of their names would be used in Roster screens and text communications, and possibly in the game itself when you targetted your own assets.

This would also solve another problem I envisage - you have created 8 pilots and callsigns, but what happens if you select a Stormcarrier with 16 fighters? Who pilots the other 16? If you simply recorded 16 generic callsigns (Alpha 1-16 for pilots, Beta 1-16 for co-pilots) and generated 16 generic images, then at start-up the player could choose their own names for their pilots. Possibly even their own image.

It would make for a longer startup/selection process (as well as choosing race, caste, assets, starting location, they would also have to name up to 8 officers and 16 pilots). Perhas, to speed the process up, you could have the default text names in place that you are using now, and simply allow the player to change the ones they want to change.

Just to let you know that I do drop back occasionally, although I'm in breach of my twelve step program...*grin*.

Your lost soul and dead Commander,

DeSylva

Inserted:

*** Hope you're not too dead. We miss ya! ***

[This message has been edited by Ron Wallin (edited 05-15-2000).]

Greetings all,

been in silent mode lately but keep checking the forums (more or less) regularly. Hmmm, I think De Sylva has a point there. What's gonna happen if I'm in command of a carrier equipped with 16 fighters? Not to mention the fact that, as far as I understand, the pilot/officer images are always the same (human), regardless the race that one choses at the beginning of the game. I guess the player can always edit the images and replace them by more suitable ones if he/she doesn't have enough imagination. But maybe we'll have a gameplay problem with the different number of fighters that a carrier can hold.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

You are assuming that say, a Stormcarrier with 16 fighters, is the same object as a Battlecruiser which has 4. That is not the case. They are different ships entirely and you won't see (a) pilot or crew pics on the Stormcarrier (B) the callsigns will be different.

Besides, you can change the images and callsigns if you like. It is simple really: either people accept that fact that having more units (this problem only affects carriers, anyway) to play is better than having just one with limitations on sound/images, or they don't. I don't know what the issue is really. Its not like in single or multiplayer, the other gamers (player or NPC) care about or will know who is in your ship or pilot your fighters. TTDs don't indicate who is flying what, they record ship type and designated numbers. 16 people playing with 16 Battlecruiser MK3s will yield 64 fighters in the game world, all with different TTDs. The other players won't know the callsigns of your fighters and won't hear them speak anyway. Those are all personal and local to your ship. So even if all the pilots have the same voicefx (which they do), it won't matter and doesn't affect gameplay in any shape or form.

Besides, I may just disable pilot voice comms in multiplayer if its an issue. The text messages will, of course, remain the same.

DeSylva is talking about recording voices as if it were and easy task. The single set of pilot voices (8 variations), cost about $25K to do. The modifications to the voicefx, new soundfx, voicefx etc, cost about $12K. I don't think DeSylva has even looked at the soundfx.txt file in the GBS which lists all the sounds. Doing sounds, even modifications for more pilots, will cost upwards of $100K or more.

Apart from the fact that even if I had that kind of money to blow, I won't blow it on soundfx, it absolutely justifies nothing and adds nothing to the game. If you guys want to get a fund going, sure. Raise $100K and I'll get Markus and his crew on it right away.

Want unique pics for all pilots and crew for every ship that has a crew? Simple, at $50 a pop, you guys do the math and raise the funds.

All I want to do is finish this damn game. And if me allowing people to play different units (something I didn't have to do and which wasn't even in my BCM specs) is going to cause me aggravation, it will take me all of five minutes to disable it and have everyone back in their default Battlecruisers. Then, you'll have to wait for GCO, and then go pay each month, to play in different vehicles.

This is a none issue.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 05-16-2000).]

There was a message a little while back in the New Interface topic that got me thinking. In MP, will the fighters still require two pilots? It seems to me that all a copilot does is sit in back and watch stuff. And wouldn't having two real peole in the same craft cause conflict problems? I'm sure you've thought of all this, SC, but it makes me worry a little bit.

I know this is a tad off topic, but I couldn't figure out a better place to put this.

------------------

Commander David "Whisper" Liev

*Wraith Fleet Fighter Command

"We Will Be There"

=Wraith Fleet=

I've said it before and I'll say it again! "Just leave the Man alone and let him finish the game!" I don't think he invited us for a wish list discussion anyway. I've already put my foot in my mouth on another topic by medaling in something that I shouldn't have and it cost us C&C online. Now please, enough of this!

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Arise, Old Insurgents,

Long dead but eternal in time and space.

Forgive us NOT for what we do,

We merely take your place!" - Rattler

quote:

And wouldn't having two real peole in the same craft cause conflict problems? I'm sure you've thought of all this, SC, but it makes me worry a little bit.

No Whisper because multiple humans in a ship, are not supported in BCM, only in GCO.

Also, in BCM, you no longer need 2 pilots to launch a fighter (2 seater fighters that is). The reason you needed them was for redundancy in case [you] the pilot die. In BCM you can launch with 1 or 2 pilots in fighters that require 2 pilots,you just won't be able to switch to the co-pilot seat if you launch with only 1 pilot. In fighters that are single-seaters, eg, P21 Vandal, there is no issue.

The Stormcarrier, the largest and most powerful carrier in the game, has 16 fighters and a 16 pilots. There are no images for them or the officers on board. This evening I was thinking that I'd have Gio do about 4 new pilots with head gear (2 male+2 female), so since you can't make out their faces, it won't matter. This way, all carriers with fighter pilots, will have pilot pics.

The question then remains, what about officers?

heh, thats right, Uncle Rattler is on the case. smile.gif

That was not intended for a wish list item. I know very well that The Man is not taking up any more suggestions. I was concerned. If you noticed my sig, I have a vested intrest in making sure all the fighter stuff is squared away smile.gif.

Not to brown nose or anything, but that is the perfect solution for solving the fighter problem. Allowing an option for the number craft pilots is just another nifty deatail in a really, really detailed world. Lots of uses to, like if your saving up a pilot with high AI, but there's a fight going on that calls for 4 fighters.

And just to throw this out, why would anyone want to be a co-pilot? Sounds like a dull job smile.gif.

------------------

Commander David "Whisper" Liev

*Wraith Fleet Fighter Command

"We Will Be There"

=Wraith Fleet=

Guest aramike01

I valiently offer up my head for inclusion as an officer aboard some vessel or another! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Ok, just let me clarify a little my previous post because I feel it was somewhat misunderstood. I was not concerned about the images or the sound fx (that's why I said in my post "if the player does not have enough imagination"), and I was not asking to add anything. I was just concerned by the fact that maybe the 4-fighters limitation was hardwired in the code, so that the ability to chose between different units would cause major problems in the game. Now if that's not the case (because there's no such limitation or because Derek is already aware of all the issues and has taken care of everything) then all I can say is great!! Don't know you guys, but I'm dying to play as a Gammulan commander smile.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

heh, don't worry, Hector, you didn't have to clarify anything, and your post was fine. I was speaking globally and not directly at your post in particular. So, I for one, did not misunderstand it. The only clarification that your post required, was because you didn't (and I didn't expect you to) understand that BCM will no longer hardcode any ship details like in BC3K and that all assets are different. Once I cleared that up, I just moved on with my rant. biggrin.gif

And yes, you are perfectly correct, regarding the player's imagination. The bottomline is this, I have the game even more open-ended than BC3K. Don't like the soundfx, voicefx or crew images, just backup the existing ones and replace them with your own. And if your ship does not have images for its crew, just add them yourself. No need to learn GBS or anything.

btw, am planning on playing as Falkerie on a server and starting a Holy War against the Gammulans. So, watch out. smile.gif