Tactical Engagement

Reading the last thread on gameplay issues was very overwhelming for me on the development news forum and I would like to know what benefits buying the T.E. module brings to the BCM? I'm not a FPS fan except for games like Doom and half-life which IMO where the best of the pack. Space combat is my only favorite category in gaming and I would like to know what makes T.A. good gameplay-wise warrant a purchase?

------------------

"Do not fear the unknown, embrace it."

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to ask that question, Commander, You've missed a ton of insight into what it's all about. Read the specs that have been released on those upcoming releases and you will see that, if you want to play INSIDE that BC of yours, then you will definitely want those additions. Me, I'm just biding my time and drooling! smile.gif

No offense intended Commander, Hope none taken!

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"This is the place. Stand still, my steed,--

Let me review the scene,

And summon from the shadowy past

The forms that once have been!" - Longfellow

"Arise, Old Insurgents,

Long dead but eternal in time and space.

Forgive us not for what we do,

We merely take your place!" - Rattler

Rattler, I am fully aware of the T.E. info, but from your perspective and possibly the vets and our fellow insurgents, what in your opinion do you see most fascinating about T.E. that makes gameplay more exiting? And is it true that you can use T.E. for surface ops Meaning FPS action on suface ops and using nukes to destroy surface assets? Man this is gonna be the be all and end all of pc games.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Haha oh I can't wait to destroy all my enemies with that portable nuke launcher and devastating them with hell and destruction of my insurgent fury!!!!! Hey did you ever see Roughnecks on tv and saw all those awesome surface ops on each exiting episode? Now if you ever saw those rocket launchers in action, imagine those same weapons with the nukes in BCM and myself with a little help of course of the insurgents, launching an enormous volley into all enemy surface assets on specific hotzones!!Yeahh!! Ain't it cool!!!!??? Now only if we can do it all with cloaked suits.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

No, you don't need to have the TE for FPP surface ops. You have access to the same weapons and models, though. BCTE is just for exploring your own ship and fighting off intruders and using the psi-deck. FP battles on planet surfaces are one thing, but battles within the tight corridors of your own ship, ducking behind consoles, sneaking around for good sniping points, blinding the enemy with smoke grenades... if that doesn't get you excited, I'm not sure what will smile.gif

If I've missed out anything important, someone please add to what I've said.

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Oh, and last I looked, there were no hand launched nukes (check dev diary issue 2 for the list of what equipment you can carry). The only nukes are the OTS weapons which you can only launch from a ship in orbit (which can get pretty dicey what with STO weapons and orbital defence platforms smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 05-15-2000).]

BCM has first-person built-in with no external support required. It has always had it. In fact, if you are running BC3K v2.0x in debug mode, you can switch to and control any asset, using alt+shift+s. However, in BCM, the support has been further enhanced so that it actually works right and also a dynamics engine for a jetpack, someone running etc, were implemented.

BCTE is only for use in walking around inside your BC. It has nothing to do with what happens outside it.

Here's another food for thought. Remember the awesome HUD display in the CGI show, Roughneck's? Now that or something similar would look nice when your playing as a marine . As a matter of fact the Army has been developing this tactical helmet for infantry which displays important information such as targeting, navigation, etc which is displayed on a special visor called the Land Warrior. Not to be irritating if this has been said before but a HUD with this sort of information would be a nice addition for a future patch or such in BCM but disregard if this may sound like another wishlist SC. I dont wanna be banned or something. Well there you have it. My positive thoughts on FPS from a non-FPS fan.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Hunting down pics of the HUD as we speak, there's gotta be something out there... so far though, no go.

As for the show, it's a CGI-enhanced version of Starship Troopers.. pretty good actually, although the wussy pea-shooters they call weapons could have a bit more Ooomph to them smile.gif I believe there was a thread regarding this show a bit of a ways back.. check that. I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

Ahoy, here we go! The thread's right here. Ah, it appears you know what we're talking about then after all SC smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 05-15-2000).]

You mean that roughnecks? Pah, here I was thinking of a game (like Novalogic's LandWarrior), not the show.

OK, is RoughNecks out on video yet? Funny thing is, I was watching First Wave and Farscape the other night and was thinking about RN. heh, I must be really burned out. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 05-15-2000).]

Right, I see your point SC. The HUD system in Roughneck's was a little to simplified for my taste since it was nothing more than graphics rather than real information for soldiers to use. But the way I see it, in the far off future advancements in technology will simplify warfare to that level of technology you have seen in Roughneck's. Live forever insurgents!!!

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Another cool thing about Roughneck's SC is the fact that the trooper's can dropsuit into any hotzone without the use of shuttles entering the atmosphere. If you watch these specific episodes you will see the troopers first encase themselves in atmosphere shielding suits inside the dropship, the hatch opens then upon entering the atmosphere at a desirable altitude, the suit breaks apart leaving the troopers to use their rocket packs on their feet to make a soft landing. Not a wishlist SC but pretend this feature was implemented,do you think a marine would be detected by radar by surface assets when entering the atmosphere and become shot down by STO's? I was thinking that such a small object would be difficult to be detected in order to slip by defenses and land at the desired location of interest and attack.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Well, lets ee if I can post this without a Blue Screen of Death poping up smile.gif I personally am looking forward to BC:TE for the afore mentioned reason runn around inside your BC. Finally we would be able to pick off those annoying intruders ourselve, and actually see why our toops are getting stuck. smile.gif at least thats my impression if BC:TE

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

DarkHorizon, thats a good idea that I have toyed with before. I decided against it because it would ruin the game in more ways than one.

Eclipse, your thoughts on BCTE are correct. Whatever BCM reports as being in your ship, is what you will encounter when you enter BCTE. BCM just passes the location of everyone (as seen in PerScan) to BCTE, which then populates the ship. When BCTE exits, it updates the records again, BCM takes over, and updates before regaining control. The only issue with BCM+BCTE is that they use different engines and cannot be running at the same time. Which is why I'm working closely with John at MysticGD so that his O3D engine, supports everything that I need for BC:3020AD (indoor, outdoor, terrain) in one seamless package. Which is why I've said that BC:3020AD is about a 50% re-write of the BCM+GCO code, due to the use of those third-party licensed engines.

Guest Ron Wallin

Forget the inside. I want a sniper rifle and a steady commander to fly me around while I sit on the hull and take pot shots at passing cruisers. But, I'm just dreaming. The command chair is the life for me smile.gif

Still nothing would be more exiting than dropsuit action in BCM. Roughneck's surface ops were the most spectacular I ever seen which I envisioned for the future of BC. Live forever insurgents!!

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Ok, so if the BCTE is for FPS in-ship only, how will there be FPS action on planets? As I remember, there was info this on the site and several posts regarding how we can fight on the planets on vehicles and FPS as a marine. Sorry, just playing a little catch-up.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

....because BCM has its own outdoors engine. Running around as a marine is not much different than driving around in an ATV or flying around in a fighter. The only difference being the dynamics, synching the character animations to the movement dynamics, HUD display etc.

Alright!! That pretty much says it all about that!! Now its really gonna be like surface ops like in Roughneck's!!!! This is gonna be my PC game to end all PC games!! Thanx for making the be and end all of PC games SC!!!

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Oops, except for the option of dropsuiting marines on a planet like on Roughneck's hehe. What can I say, the show was the best I ever seen comprised of only CGI! Everybody Tune in everyday for the closest thing you'll see to awesome sufrace ops on Roughneck's Starship Troopers Chronicles. I'm so addicted to this show, its even more scarier how I'm gonna act when I play as a marine with my friends watching my back!! Alright Apes, you wanna live forever!?!?!?

quote from Liutenant Jean Razak

CO of Roughnecks squad

Mobile Infantry

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Ben, nothing will be more exiting than playing as a marine conducting surface ops in planets. You know 360 dgrees of freedom baby yeah!! Now if I were a claustrophobic type, then I would be scared as hell and exited at the same time taking out intruders in-ship. But I think marine surface ops will be better. Hey Ben, ever seen the CGI show, Roughneck's? Check it out.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Oh yeah, and more challenging targets to destroy on the surface too!!

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

Guest Zillah

Anybody try reading Heinlein's book? How about his idea for the marines armor? Clearing building's in a single bound. The troopers are called apes because once inside the suits they resemble apes. They contain food, water and waste disposal as well as all of the weapons being connected the the back of the armor. So they obviously have to contain more instuments for controlling all of the functions makeing them bulkier hence the term apes. Try reading the book. If you think the show rocks Heinlein's original story will Knock you flat on your @$$. wink.gif

and maybe give us all some suggestions to give the SC for the next installment in this mind blowing universe wink.gif