single (dis)/like about bc3k

Cruis.In

if you had to pick a single thing what would you pick?

for me its the combat. combat is not that well done. Flying your bc3k on joystick and playing it like it's a fighter is no fun. and doesn't work either because it doesn't move like a fighter so forget that.

what I do is just switch to TacOps, auto-pilot on, and tell it to attack whichever target. The bc then hounds it down while the turrets and the IOD take it out. It's not that involved. I just hope there is something different about the fighting in BC:M

here's the single most thing I like. what other game can you drop your alter-ego on a planet and come back for him whenever??

the perscan....i love it. even though it's only text...it still gives all the feel. personel moving through the ship etc.. and so on. too cool.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

Spectre Fleet

CEO, Sygan Star Station

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest Damasceus Klark

Well, me thinks that there'll be more yelling round these parts than necesary.

My least favorite part of the game?

Well, I'd have to say the fact that there isn't any Tang aboard my ship. In fact, it isn't even existant in the galaxy! Why not? We're all astronauts round these parts, eh? It's our duty to all of those little space rangers back on Earth for us to drink Tang! We should get Tang!

Very annoying. But that's about it.

My favorite thing that I like?

I'd say having the knowledge that the one of the galaxy's superduper powers gave me a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar spaceship and five minutes later I crash it into the planet Earth where my crew of a whole bunch all perish a horrible and meaningless death at the hands of an incompotent commander biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif .

------------------

Damasceus "Shiva" Klark

Pilot, Wraith Fighter Command

Wraith Fleet HQ

"Ye gods man, are you insane?!?"

=Wraith Fleet=

What I dislike about BC3K is that I am currently unable to get it to run reliably on my Voodoo5 doll....at least not yet wink.gif

What I like about the game? Everything with the exception stated above smile.gif

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 06-20-2000).]

The flight dynamics model is better in BCM. While nothing close to Newtonian physics (the game is already too complex already, without adding another layer of complexity), it will be fun and large ships will definitely no handle like fighters anymore.

Gallion, I have no problems with BC3K v2.0x on my V5, so I don't know what the problem is. Sorry. The work-around is to probably use Continue instead of the Restore function.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-20-2000).]

Guest aramike01

I've already given my ten things! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Hmmm, I can't think of any dislikes in BC.

The best part I like in the game is the Free Flight mode. I can basically explore where and when I want to. I haven't felt that way about a game since I played Star Flight many, many years ago! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

The only problem I have with our dear Battlecruiser is that its not BCM. I get SO frustrated with intruders! Argh! I long to jump into the persona of a marine, hunt down the offending intruder and personally part his forehead with a few well placed rounds!

While this isn't a problem with the game, technically, I do have a problem with the rest of these 'so called' games out in the stores today. I try and try to find anything that might be interesting, but only find the same 'ol recycled crap. The Battlecruiser has totally ruined me for the rest of the gaming market! I hold the SC personally responsible. Therefor his only recourse is to release BCM and end the agony of waiting.

As for what I like about our dear Battlecruiser, the intelligence. It takes some to play the game, and you are rewarded for your efforts. A good commander knows every particle of his ship, and this is never more evident in this title.

All we can do is wait. And wait I will do, until the product is finished. I recently had two very large disapointments with Start Trek:Armada and another strategy game,(I had it so briefly I can't recall the name right now!) Both would crash to the desktop. The 'fine folks' at the Star Trek:Armada support site are flooded with tech requests, so much so that the public is largly ignored. So I beg, please, please a finished product. Work out those bugs, polish this wonderful title to the luster it deserves!

Thank you for reading my rant!

------------------

Commander Ledge Rock

GCV Computron

ICQ 68356179 EST

Guest Lightnin'

I don't like the interface that much. It's like your given too much information at once, and most of it you don't need all the time. It doesn't feel like a game, but more like an accountancy simulation.

The one thing about BC3K that always bothered me was that intruders could board from clear across the region. I don't recall if there are range limits on the transporters, but there probably should be. A lot of effort has recently gone into playbalancing, especially regarding the power of weapons. I wonder if shorter transporter ranges would force a ship to come in close before boarding can commence. Perhaps ships from different races (technology levels) can transport from longer ranges, even beyond weapons range.

I love the ability to delegate operations to the crew or micro-manage things myself if I choose.

If you don't need the information - don't use it. Nothing could be simpler than that. And if you think that the information in the game is not needed, then you*, sir, have not played BC3K. Ever.

There are no range limits for transporting. I was thinking of changing it, but changed my mind instead. biggrin.gif

* in fact, I've just read your posts, and deleted some. We're watching you and I now know who you are

I like perscan alot, just let my imagination fly and I can actually see marines in battle, really! Just what it's gonna be like in BCM, huh! I just can't wait. And of course the nukes with birds and BIG KABOOOOOM! And tactical parts and .........(endless list) smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 26 Commander

2nd squadron "No quarter"

"They hold no quarter, they ask no quarter"

Well, seeing that this is like 5 games in one...

TACOPS! GOTTA LOVE IT!

Dislikes:

1)As said above, I hate to get boarded by someone clear across the region.. makes no sense. Also, being able to beam down marines into a planet when you are far away from it is something that still baffles my poor burnt out brain. I'd say that a range of 8 klicks and that you have to de-cloak your ship to beam stuff would be better for playbalance. We shall see how this goes in BC:M though smile.gif

2)Mine deployment is a nightmare.

3)Laser fire graphics should be like 10X brighter so you can see em from far away and in the TacOps. While this may be an eye-candy only, I believe this would add a lot of enjoyment to the game...who remembers the amazing light-shows you got yourself into in X-Wing? biggrin.gif

Enough ranting..Wishing BC:M was here...

Guest r.fajuke

Those damn fighters that you chase about the region for half an hour, I know the simple way would be to sell them to the closest station but i want the satisfaction of the kill.

My favourite thing is the PTA.

[This message has been edited by r.fajuke (edited 06-21-2000).]

Tac, all those issues will be addressed. They are currently in my List of last minute things to do, in order dodge Tac's whining list. biggrin.gif

btw, I like this thread. Keep it coming guys. I may not address everything, but most of the important ones will be noted. Thats what patches are for wink.gif

Thread moved btw.

ps: Guys, don't even turn this into a wishlist!. Even if it looks like it, smells it, hops like it; chances are, it ain't it!. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-21-2000).]

Well, if I had to mention one thing that I like less than the others in BC3k is the fact that everybody can see cristal clear across the region. It would be great if you had to regularly send patrols of fighters ahead of you in order to relay back information on what may be hidding ahead. It would be great if you could see only those targets which are whithin a given range from any allied ship.

As for what I like most, hmmmm, it's hard to say. I agree with some other posts here about the PerScan computer. It's great! Being a text-based interface you can imagine what's going on while your marines fight those pesky intruders (and believe me, my imagination renders better graphics, sound and immersion than any other 1st person engine developed so far). But my favorite thing is the ability of "commanding" my BC, instead of "piloting" it. I don't use my joystick, I just bring up the menus and select attack this, defend that, etc.

Well, that's all I can think of at this moment.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

Guest aramike01

I agree with you guys: Text-based PerScan is GREAT!!! It gives one a feel of being aboard an actual BC and looking at the computer terminal. I mean, how many BC terminals are going to have pretty pictures interfering with important information?

My gripes: First I must point out that Hector nailed my most major gripe of all- The range of the scanners should be a bit shorter.

Secondly, I never did like object rebuild times, although I have grown accustomed to changing them via GBS. In other words, the absence of an "options" menu not allowing us to increase, decrease, or turn off, object build times made ground ops unneccessary for anything other than destructive enjoyment.

That's about it, though I do have to mention that I think it's wonderful that we can gripe about this game on this board so long as it's constructive and orderly.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 06-21-2000).]

I don't like the IC's spontaneously combusting when they jump to the same point. smile.gif

And the PTA. Once locked on it should shoot at its target (enemy fighter) till it's dead. So many have gotten away 'cause they put up an SOS an the PTA quit firing at it.

Small dislikes really.

I totally agree with Hector on the commanding vs piloting. Capital ships should not have joysticks. smile.gif So I refuse to use mine. Maybe I would use one if I had a really nice one like Rattler's where I could get a lot more functionality out of it. MAybe. So for now I'll remain a keyboard commander.

I like the text based perscan as well.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

IMHO the PTA fires either too rapidly or it is too powerful compared to the "main gun." The PTA can blow up stuff quite rapidly compared to the MAX-IOD. It just seems to me that the main weapon should be quite a bit better compared to the PTA.

------------------

"lord"David

Spectre Fleet

Pre-comm., Cmdr. Alpha Prime

ICV Dark Saber

Official BC3K Tester

Dislikes:

One thing that's always bothered me was the intruders ability to board with my shields fully powered up. I can understand them beaming over with my shield close to or at zero but just doesn't make sense with them fully powered.

Another is that interceptors/fighters being able to carry some of the largest missiles. One tactic I used was loading all my interceptors with vagrants and fly a interceptor over to a cap ship and put two of them up his tail pipe. In multi-player if this is allowed to happen I can see commanders doing the same thing to other player BCs, making for some quick games. Basically limit the type of missiles a fighter can carry.

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

The only real dislike that I have has already been addressed for BCM, and that is the fog of war. Makes things a lot easier for us "We don't want to be seen" types, if every starship can't see clear across the region. That, and the fact that the cloaking device can now inflict severe casualties among the crew. I rather enjoyed running cloaked for long periods. Makes dangerous trips (i.e. to Gamma-1) a sight easier.

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

*1st Squadron, *SIN Wing

Stationed, *Starstation Wrath

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way." - John Paul Jones

ICQ 32545391, CST

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

Dragon - Order of the Jade Dragon

Prime Fleet Liason Officer

quote:

for me its the combat. combat is not that well done. Flying your bc3k on joystick and playing it like it's a fighter is no fun. and doesn't work either because it doesn't move like a fighter so forget that.

No kidding! I have to disagree with this statement though. You surely can drive the BC with a joystick, and righteously so I might add. Even though you give the orders to turn, someone's got to spin that wheel to move the rudder! Even in the old Battleship days there has always been a helmsman. True it's a capital ship and cannot turn with or accelerate with an IC but that does not mean that you should not be able to maneuver when you really need to do so. To tell you the honest truth, I'm still mad about having the speed and maneuvering abilities chopped by the SC when Tac and DeSylva sniveled about it. Plain and Simple. What I'd wish for, since restoring the game to it's original characteristics is totally out of the question, would be to wish for thrust vectoring on the BC. That way I could, should I need to, cut the turn rate on the BC to 1/3 of it's current radius if it's not traveling at flank speed. Make speed a direct contributing factor in making turns. I won't even discuss Newtonian Physics here because every other game that has tried it has failed miserably at it IMHO!. Just wish I had a faster method of turning when I need to. smile.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Kickin' after all these years!"

One thing I've found annoying is the incredible speed of ships between jumps.

Beside that, I like the feeling of being a real captain of a big ship. Giving orders, kick the CO ass when he make's a mistake smile.gif The management from A to Z of personnel's, weapons, repairs and maintenance. And seeing a great planning falling apart because of some Insurgent ships interfering in my mission. biggrin.gif

And another big thing I like is the great community I see here. Laughing at Tac, Parias and others about their funny comments I read all over this board. It help me when I had a bad day at work! Thanks guys.

And thank you Derek for making the best game on Earth smile.gif

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

Heh, you don't have to worry about Newtonian physics, cuz I ain't doing it. The game is already complex enough. The only changes I asked Peter to make in the new flight model, are linked to the individual dynamics of each ship type. So, carriers will handle like carriers, fighters will handle like fighters and Jason's crates in the sky [transports] will be just that, lumbering crates.

Also changed the operation of thrusters and retros to some extent. You can now change your heading, while moving in one direction, using a combo of thrusters and retros.

Overal flight speeds, because of multiplayer, are vastly reduced. No bounding across the region like cheetars.

Fog of war was in six months ago. In fact, if you're on passive radar scan, the first time you know someone's out there, is when you pick up their missile on radar...usually when its too late.

Ships now have to be within a 100 click range before they can board your ship, even if you're cloaked.

New limitations have been put in place, regarding missiles. No way are you going to load Vagrants in fighters.

The PTA is a point defense system and has not changed. It was meant to be more powerful than the main guns. And it is, not because it has more powerful shots (see the GBS), but because it has a more rapid firing rate. Target acquisition priorities, remains unchanged.

Heh, considering that I have not written a single new ACM, I wouldn't start dreaming about new ACMs (and the downtimes) if I were you, Dreada. I may not even ship with new mission base ACMs. And if anything, I'll just make slight modifications to the existing ones. Besides, I suspect that most will be playing in multiplayer anyway. Apart from that, I'm sure most want to play all those v2.0x ACM missions in co-op mode.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-22-2000).]