BCTE Released Free

Supreme Cmdr

BCTE certinly was interesting, would have been much nicer if there had been more textures than just the door. I can't complain, though it does get the point across and gives a tinly little taste of the weapons smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Actualy SC, I was refering to either someone else to try it with a diffrent engine, either myself, or somebody else.

Im sure that there are people on here who would love to try and atempt to re-create BCTE, using their own engine (or one from another source).

Personaly, I had a small engine working a few months ago (of my own design) which allows me to create an internal enviroment of my choice ( eg. the decks of a ship), which suported shiny surfaces and huge levels. All the objects etc were first created in 3D Studio MAX, then exported (and converted) in to the engine for my own use.

Now I never finished it, only because the development team I was working with, dropped out, and left me on my own, so it was never finished, but it was useable.

I was one of two programmers on the team, along with 2 artists, one designer, and one musician. I delt mainly with the modeling and creating the game engine, while the other programmer just worked on the sounds & music. I actualy did the most of the work, just as a part time hobby.

But getting back to my original comment.. Would you allow someone (or a group of people) to get together and maybe try and re-create BCTE for the others to play with, using their own game engine?

You said it could be done, so why not allow us to try this?

Has anyone any comments towards this?

If you had a few people who all wanted to try and create their own version, then you could maybe take this up as a competition, and to compeat against each other, letting the winner have his version published on this site as a free downloadable 'add on'.

SC, Robbie makes an interesting point. What about using another engine more user friendly to hobbyists. I've seen some that are free for the downloading. Others can be obtained " at the right price point" for a hobbyist. If I understand it right, the engine needs the number and starting locations of the intruders and some way to interface smoothly with the game. A clean way to exit BC3000AD (it already saves the current status on exit anyway) and then start up the first person engine.

Guest Kirk Stroiker

Wrong forum but its the right topic and since everybody's already here, I'll take the risk.

1.I downloaded bcte, the manual and the readme.

2.I unzipped all of them to the new bcte folder in the bc3k folder that I made.

3.I started a ms-dos session and executed bcte.exe and got the following error:

quote:

Input: could not initialize DirectInput input device system.

What did I do wrong?

------------------

Cmdr. Kirk Stroiker

GCV Flightstar, Genesis, Moon/Sol/TQ

1st Squadron, Gamma Wing - Prime Fleet

[This message has been edited by Kirk Stroiker (edited 09-22-2000).]

I believe your error is here:

quote:

3.I started a ms-dos session...

Of course, there's always a chance that you actually mean you opened up a command prompt in Windows, which is slightly different.. and assuming you didn't configure it differently, the program would launch appropriately through Windows. So I'd lay down the problem to an outdated version of DirectX. Gonna need more details though if you already have the latest version.

Also, you stated that you unzipped it "to the new bcte folder in the bc3k folder that I made"? As in, it's running in a sub-dir under BC3k? Hmm, this probably has nothing to do with it at all (as I highly doubt the program makes any use of Bc3k) but try popping it into it's own dir (x:bcte) and see if that'll fix the problem as well.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

quote:

And you had bothered to read the manual, you would not have run it from a DOS box nor tried to execute BCTE by itself.

Hang on a sec SC.... ah, at the risk of my own well-being, I'd like to humbly point out that every time I boot up BCTE, I simply double-click on BCTE.Exe and load it up, hence executing it "by itself". Also, the manual does rather clearly state that running the program on it's own is quite possible for a "Skirmish" method of play.. although that particular function isn't exactly implemented. And, uh, isn't running BCTE.Exe the only way to get into the thing in the first place? Unless everyone except me has some super-hidden copy of BCM sitting around somewhere... smile.gif

Okay, I'll just go cower near the airlock with my radioactive garden gnomes now.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Parias

1. Read the manual again

2. Running BCTE by itself, autoloads the first level. So, you can't switch to any other unless you use the commandline parameter

3. Read the manual again

4. There is no occurence of the word skirmish in my docs. Standalone mode is when BCTE is run outside BCM. That mode is fully implemented. The only mode not implemented is linkage to BCM. Gee, guess why that is.

5. Read my post again

6. I was telling him not to run BCTE by itself from said DOS prompt. If he created a shortcut (as I indicated), then, there would be no need. If you run BCTE by itself, you only have access to deck1. You still need a shortcut or use RUN and then the commandline options, to load the others.

Ahhh, must've mis-interpreted what you were saying exactly then... it's the Mountain Dew, I swear! I knew something about it smelled funny...

As for the Skirmish mode, I'm well aware of that, was just using it to state the way gameplay was described as in the docs. Going over it, one gets the impression that launching BCTE in standalone mode is a "skirmish" or "instant action" mode... I've just been playing too many other space games again smile.gif I used poor wording on "isn't exactly implemented" though.. I was referring to how the functions described in the manual (running around trying to save your crew before the evil boarding parties blow up your ship and/or kill everyone) wasn't available. Once again, I refer to the Mountain Dew. I'll be sure to throw it in with my weekly burning of all free AOL cds that annoy everyone in the mail.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

I had fun with it. Finally played around with it today. It was really cool seeing everything in relation to each other. I walked around the ship all day.

Thanks SC, that was sweet.

(edit in)Just noticed your sig Canuck. That's too funny. I put inventory out for bid. That is so true. smile.gif Spec it out really well or you'll get junk.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 08-12-2000).]

Robbie, why compete? Why not cooperate? It's been done a number of times on the net.

One of the problems is the varying degrees of expertise and the amount of time folks cn spend on the job. That is why I am suggesting a user friendly piece of software. I have played with the Pie in the Sky offering. It's easy to use. Probably doesn't have all the functionality we want. How difficult is it to work with your engine? Can a rag tag group of gamers, hobbyists and professionals work with it to accelerate the recently stymied development of BCTE? Tall order. SC, I suggest you let us kick this around a little bit in this BC friendly public forum. If nothing else it gives us something to talk about while we wait for BCM. You've already made some steps in that direction anyway.

Joaquin,

The SC has already said no, and so his word is final. If it was a development on a total diffrent game, not related to BC3000AD, then it can be done. But because of copyright laws, you cant use anything to do with BC3000AD, without the SC's written permission, as well as signing a NDA, stating that your not going to use it for your own personal profits.

So Im sorry to say that we cant pursue this project.

Regarding what you asked about my engine,its very easy to use, simple commands, but can also be complicated, depending on what you try to do.

Im not going in to details, only because this is the wrong place to discuss this. This forum/subject/topic is for BCTE, and not really for our own personal stuff.

Sorry....

You can email me at [email protected] if you have any q's

Robbie,

I thought the SC had had a change of heart since he removed his previous reply ( at least I don't see it anywhere ) and he repeated his offer in GNN.

SC didn't mean to step on your toes, you're doing one bang up job with what you're developing already. Just thought my son and I could have some fun together with this.

Yep, Joaquin is right. I got several email requests and am screening some folks. If the BCTE project is going to be completed, it will be based on the work-in-progress version, my tools, my code etc. Nothing else.