New Interface Shots

Supreme Cmdr

Some quick shots showing the new iconized interface. All crafts, including the first person mode, are completely iconized. These are prelim. I'll be posting updated final ones from all craft HUDs, next week.

www.3000ad.com/shots/bcmshots1.shtml

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 09-18-2000).]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woooo!! Very impressive indeed. I like very much. I really like the simple and clear interface without having to strain the eyes on the previous versions. The critics won't be complaining about this part. Great job SC!

------------------

Cmdr. Kron

ICV Darkness, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Spectre Fleet

Guest aramike01

More good work from the 3000AD team. Too bad game designing isn't an olympic event!

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Yeah! those pics clears up the interface alot, no more, SRE SHE hmmm... where's my manual, thing!

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining, GENESIS (Moon)

26 Squadron Commander, 2nd squadron

Prime fleet, Gamma Wing

Yeah, I got tired of all the text hurting my eyes. Actually, it was by sheer fluke that I did this. I am still pondering on what font to finally settle on for the game and then it hit me that there was just so much text on the screen.

So, I asked Juan, one of my kick-ass artist/modelers (he did about 12 of the station/base frontend renders along with a bunch of other stuff) to create some test icons (the ones on the left). Once I gave him the specs and he sent the icons, several tweaks later, it was in. Then I decided to go overboard and completely iconize the HUD displays and Tacops (not finished with this one yet). And so it was that all of the HUD displays will be iconized. In fact, the icons on the right-side, are dependent on the craft you are flying because those icons on that side, are actual renders of the models used in the game. So, if you're flying a Stormcarrier, with Vandals, those are the icons you'll see on the right.

Its gonna be cool.

And in case you guys haven't noticed, every space sim in the past year, has tanked at retail : Starlancer, Tachyon, Freespace2, Klingon Academy, Terminus (heh, who didn't see that coming?), so I ain't taking any chances. biggrin.gif btw Homeworld doesn't count because its not traditional space sim and it has some very good parts. In fact, I plan on picking up Catacylsm cuz some of my guys have bought it and are saying good things about it.

Anyway, its 6.30am, been up since 5am and back at work. ttyl

pssst, wanna see the work-in-progress fully scrollable Navitron map? Go here:

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcm/photo198.jpg

sidenote: LOL, Parias, I just noticed your sig. I guess they don't know what to do with you yet, huh? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 09-17-2000).]

As the others have already said, SC, you have done an outstanding job with the new iconized interface. I just looked at your Navitron work in progress and I must say that looks pretty cool too!

------------------

Commodore ShoHashi

ICV Aries, New Frontier (Rinaal)

Station Commander, New Frontier

Bishamon Fleet

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

Looks Great! biggrin.gif

Should help newbies learning curve a bit too since everythings is so symbol based anyway. wink.gif

------------------

Commodore Wold

ICV-Drakr, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commanding Officer, Spectre HQ

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

quote:

...And in case you guys haven't noticed, every space sim in the past year, has tanked at retail : Starlancer, Tachyon, Freespace2, Klingon Academy, Terminus...

The reason these titles tanked IMO is gameplay and the lack of a decent storyline. Eye candy can carry any title only so far before players wake and see the stupidity that they have found themselves in.

I have two titles mentioned above, Klingon Academy and Tachyon. Got bored with Tachyon and quit playing about halfway through.

Only reason I keep playing Klingon Academy is the ST Capships in multiplayer mode. Publisher failed to deliver developer promises (mission builder.editor) too.

Starlancer - didn't care for game premise or the game developer(s) (Roberts brothers) so I didn;t fork out the denaro. Might once it hits the bargin bin but then may still not.

Freespace2 - didn't like first ireteration of the series so didn't get the second.

Terminus is a bomb - period.

Homeworld was ok and original but hasn't struck me fancy. I will not be bothering with new release.

Gameplay is the key to title success - no matter how large the title's learning curve is. These titles don't have any gameplay so to speak. Sometimes the KISS method is the best (shooters) and other times more complex gameplay is required (strategy). Heck, look at Falcon4.x or any decent combat flight simulator and how many buttons or keyboard commands one needs to learn just to fly a flightsim.

My opinion only others will vary rolleyes.gif

Interface and Navitron Map look good SC, patience is a virtue biggrin.gif

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 09-16-2000).]

Well, back after a 90 hour test render frown.gif Very Nice SC, I am really looking forward to BCM.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

As stated before, looks good SC. One suggestion though. In the interface photo199.jpg, righthand display ye might look at inserting/increasing space between the Officer and location. Navigator and On Station begins to merge at the R and O. Very Minor nuisance only.

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 09-17-2000).]

This is very impressive! It gives The Game some king of completely new look-and-feel, looks very intuitive (it seems we can do a lot more now with less mouse clicks), without loosing the, say, tradition. Keeping the good, working things, and improving everything else seems to be the trick here. Nice done! I like it. smile.gif

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 09-17-2000).]

A subtle change that I really like in the CVD is putting measurements on the shield and hull strength bars. I saw the station bar with a measure of 15000 and a ship bar with a measure of 250. I haven't yet memorized which ships are big and which are small. If the CVD now shows the specific measurements of the targeted ship, this will be very useful in finding the big ships by scrolling through the targets.

I like it.

Gallion

Tell me you think I didn't know about that.

And if you looked at the shots again, you will see other font related issues that I have to address.

Now you know why internal beta testers (which you're not in) still don't have a version and why I'm not likely to release a public demo (especially why I decided not to release anything on 9-15-00) until after the game is on the shelves. I just can't be distracted by unnecessary nitpicking. I'm doing an iconic interface update (the topic of the thread), nothing to do with fonts - and I've said before that I have not yet settled on a font type+size because I need several which will work in different parts of the displays.

Thomas

Yep - that was the whole intention. In fact, am going to be putting buttons next to the command craft to activate/deactivate those 3 displays. This way, you never even have to touch the keyboard. Right now, the only time I have to touch the keyboard is if I want to switch views, assume manual flight control (rarely) or if I want to activate one of those 3 displays (you can change the modes by clicking on the mode icon) - which is why I decided to have the icons for those displays, next to craft.

Steve

The armor/shield integrity levels have nothing to do with the target size/type. If the video image of the target doesn't tell you what kind it is and you don't know enough about the game's ship database to know whats big (a carrier is bigger than a cruiser) and what isn't, then you're in serious trouble commander.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 09-17-2000).]

Guest aramike01

I must be the only one still amazed at how pretty Earth looks!

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet