Galactic Command Online FAQ

Ohso

Very cool.

I'm curious if the reputation system will have penalties for a high reputation character dealing with a low one.

For example, my character with a high rep trades with a character with very low rep to provide him with things he can't get on his own because of his low rep. Will this impact me? If it does, I could see this going a long way in plugging the sorts of loopholes that plagued Ultima Online where people created 'mule' characters to buy/sell in towns where they couldn't go themselves.

Perhaps your crew will rebel and steal a shuttle or whatever to inform the proper authorities of your nefarious activities.

smile.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the GCO Faq. Stunned for 2 hours. Just realized what's going on. cwm24.gif

I have a question for SC. What else left for other game developers ? I mean there is simulation, FPS, RP, team based play etc. etc.. I think we'll see more Tetris versions after GCO cwm41.gif

Good news SC. Keep up good work.

Another dream will become real. cwm7.gif

When I'll have a job, some money and buyed the game, GCO online subsciption will be a part of my "essential" expenses cwm11.gif

Derek, if ever I become rich, you will be on my list of "people I should thank".

Much better than I thought. But just a question: you said that servers will divide the BC universe, but what happen if you go from Sol (hosted on a server) to Sirius (hosted on another server, for example). Will your profile be "transfered"? Will your ping change?

And will official fleet members will be more respected? cwm41.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

it's pretty interesting, and GCO is gonna rock!!!

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Oh, cool. Someone decided to start a thread!

Keep posting your questions/suggestions in here, and if anything is fuzzy, I will explain. If anything is worthy of addition to the FAQ, it will be updated accordingly.

Guest Mikel

Oh yes, words can not describe the euphora I'm feeling after reading that FAQ.

Well there be transportation on the planet so that you can go to other areas via shuttle or ground transport?

[This message has been edited by Mikel (edited 02-28-2001).]

Your joking, right? It's impossible for an indie to create such a HUGE, COMPLEX, friggin' MASSIVE game, right? I mean, it sounds like your modeling an entire bloody galaxy, right down to corprate warfare and dynamic politics!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif :

cwm41.gif

Question: How will galaxy population be handled? Will there be a set number of craft, marines, ect, and players take the place of NPCs? By this I also mean including the building of stations and ships.

[This message has been edited by Whisper (edited 02-28-2001).]

as I said...

quote:

But just a question: you said that servers will divide the BC universe, but what happen if you go from Sol (hosted on a server) to Sirius (hosted on another server, for example). Will your profile be "transfered"? Will your ping change?

or even...

quote:

And will official fleet members will be more respected?
cwm4.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

I have updated the FAQ. I won't be posting notices like this anymore. So, check it everyday.

All your questions, suggestions etc, should go in this thread. Valid questions and resolved discussions, will be added to the FAQ on an on-going basis.

This isn't so much a question, I just think it would be neat in GCO to be able to have a few historic events that are kind of set up by game. An invasion of a planet. A declaration of war. Peace negotiations. Kinda like what I hear about Asheron's call. Never played it. Has anybody? Does that work?

It'd be neat if I chose to be reporter to be able to write stories that are read by other players. Maybe do interviews with different legendary characters.

I also think that a few interesting things will develop out of BCM multiplayer. We may find some new ideas once it's rolled out, optimized and worn out.

And people thought WC PRIVATEER was the best there was.. time to give the floor to BC! biggrin.gif

I have two VERY important questions.

1) Will the ability to capture prisioners be in the game? AKA, a la SEAL TEAM where you had to stun your opponent or walk right up to it so it would surrender, use a "capture" kit (handcuffs, tie his fingers, etc) and then haul the prisioner back to the LZ. This of course goes along with "will a player be able to surrender his ship/crew/person?". With all the complexity of BCM, snatch missions would be THE ultimate covert ops mission!

Update: Deleted Tac's usual rubbish.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 03-02-2001).]

GCO sounds like an incredible concept. I hear the game called something like "Star Wars: Galaxies" (am not sure) is shaping up to be something similar. When both games are released, well, I guess we'll just have to see. Judging on how most of the past SW games have turned out, however, and how much fun BC3k and the BCM beta was (bummer I was out of town when the phase 2 signup was still going), my money's on GCO.

[This message has been edited by Sunanta (edited 03-02-2001).]

Guest manta

I've some questions in my mind about multiserver structure.

1- As far as i understand sending probes to a system on a different server will not be available. Will there be any way to check what's going on in a system we want to jump ?

2- Will there be a way to establish a communication channel between players (for example fleet members) which are in different servers ?

3- What kind of mechansim will be there against impolite people ? Will there be Game Master or Counselor kind of people to check systems and warn or kick the pople whose are behaving badly ?

4- If i left the game in a system and want to reconnect next day and at that time the system already reached its user limit what will happend ? Will i wait or transferred to another system ?

Thanks.

This game will rock. cwm7.gif

quote:

I hear the game called something like "Star Wars: Galaxies" (am not sure) is shaping up to be something similar.

If you don't know about a project, at least go and READ about it BEFORE you start making foolish comparisons. SWG is NOTHING like GCO. Not even close.

And let this be the last time I see such rubbish in the thread. The first person to not realise that this thread if for FAQ purposes, is getting kicked right off the site. I'm going keep the info-to-bullshit noise in this thread at a ZERO TOLERANCE LEVEL.

Sorry, you are absolutely right, SC. I went over that FAQ before, but now that I go over again, the similarites between the two games are merely superficial. To justify this post, I also have a question about GCO. Will you be able to retail ships to other players?

From the FAQ regarding player killing:

"...the more lower level players you kill, the worse your reputation gets - and the more likely security NPCs are to shoot you on sight."

Is this reputation universal, or only with respect to the race/caste of the victims?

Example: Powerful Gammulan player kills hapless Terran newbies. Does this make him more likely to be killed by all NPC's or only Terran ones? If the negative reaction is only Terran, then might this also increase his reputation with other Gammulans?

Just thought of another question...

What happens to your assets when you log out?

Does your ship/vehicle etc stay where it was or does it 'disappear'? I'm assuming everything stays, considering how complicated this could get when you let people build bases and things: "Hey, where'd that spacestation go?!"

I don't think any online game has ever attempted to make everything persistent and this would be an incredible first.

Better be careful where you park that ship...

quote:

Will you be able to retail ships to other players?

If you own it, you can sell it, whether you own a shop or not.

However, if some fool (an infantry marine) goes out and buys a fighter, he's never going to be able to fly it because he doesn't have the skill tree for it.

Similarly, if a pilot with a skill for flying shuttles goes out and buys a fighter, he won't be able to fly it either. However, since flight abilities are in the pilot's skill based tree, at some point, he will be able to fly it. So, it would be pointless to buy a vehicle if you can't use it.

And pilots also have the commander in their skill based tree. So, eventually, you can get to skill and rank that allows you to fly cruisers, carriers etc - and it is highly unlikely that you'd be able to afford to buy one. So, you'd probably be working for a corp or the military.

If you get busted down a rank, your skills are also affected etc

quote:

Is this reputation universal, or only with respect to the race/caste of the victims?

Example: Powerful Gammulan player kills hapless Terran newbies. Does this make him more likely to be killed by all NPC's or only Terran ones? If the negative reaction is only Terran, then might this also increase his reputation with other Gammulans?

Reputation is not system wide until it propagates. e.g the Gammulan could kill the Terran on Earth, but the NPCs on Mars won't know about it - UNLESS - an NPC on Earth saw it. In that case, the info propagates across Terran colonies. Players rely on their own knowledge of events, so, if a player on Earth saw the event, he can just tell players on Mars. Apart from that, your reputation meter would be visible when someone looks at you.

So, you can pretty much have different reps across the galaxy. Unless you're really good, you won't live long.

Bobba Fett wannabes, be advised.

quote:

What happens to your assets when you log out?

You have to be docked or located at a base, city or station before you log out. When you log back in, you will be at the same place. If you log out in the middle of nowhere, that is exactly where you will be when you log back in. And doing this is most likely to have you appear in the middle of a war zone since the world could have changed. And if someone decides to build something at that location, you will appear outside the bounding box of that object i.e next to it.

Following that last part SC, what would happen if I disco? Will my ship stay where it was when I got dumped from the internet or will the AI take over (or something?).

If i'm a marine, crewmember of a spaceship and that intruders jump in, will I be able to fight against them?

and

If killing lower rep players is bad for your profile, what do you do when you attain a high rep level?

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

[This message has been edited by Epsilon 5 (edited 03-04-2001).]

Guest Steve Link

Say I'm the commander of a capital ship in an engagement and I get boarded. Will I have a complement of AI controlled NPC Marines? Say I drop down to FP to repel boarders will the ships AI take over the external engagement? Or should I plan on making lots of friends with PC Marines?

Steve Link

I would guess that you would have the same number of NPC marines as you asset is allowed. If you have a few ppl they will probably replace the NPC slots. that is just wild conjecture though.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"