Galactic Command Online FAQ

Ohso

• What is the "limit" for dying, before you have to create a new player? Or you say that you lose all your xp's to 0, and you "create" a new player because of that?

Dunno yet

• If you are assigned to a better vessel because of your skill, can you choose to keep what you have? I mean, If I get to drive a BCmk1, but I want to stay in a warmonger, can I, freely? (Imagine a Tacops commander in a Sunflahs )

No. You only get one asset. And there is no guarantee that when you are given a new one, that its the same one you had before. Which is why you should strive not to lose the one you have, if you like it

• Do you have to "buy" all your crew when you buy a bigger ship (with more officers)?

When you get an asset, you get a crew to go with it. If you lose some, you just go and hire replacements. Just like in BCM. And no, you can't change your crew types either

• What do you do when you create a player on the nearest server, but there is no friendly station? (a raider in the gam quadrant, for example)

You're probably start off near a jump anomaly or a random point in space/planet

• If all friendly-neutral station have been blown away, are you stuck with your present cargo until a station is repaired?

It depends on the race/caste you are playing. You can always sell your cargo to an NPC or other player

• Will you finaly be able to change the fighter type in your carrier in gco, what you can't in bcm?

No. The complements are fixed

• Can you be in first person in all capital ships?

You can't be in first person in capital ships. Period. Only stations. There are fewer station types than there are capital ships (carrier/cruiser/transport) and it would be a tremendous undertaking to build internal levels for them. I don't have those kind of resources. And even if I did, GCO won't be out until 2003 if I were crazy enough to undetake such a task

• Will the corridors and room really reflect the true size and shape of the vessel?

Silly question

• As a commander, could you walk in your own ship?

See above

• Will you be able to see outside when in the ship (windows)?

See above

• Can you see your vessel been torn apart while inside?

See above

• If yes to the last question, can you be sucked into space? See the shuttle-bay actually destroyed?

See above

• Can you hire a PC marine, as a replacement for your dead ones?

See above

• Can you have PC marines as guests if you have your ship roster full?

No

• If a buddy in a shuttle don't have clearance to leave a planet, but you have clearance and a big ship, can you take his shuttle and give him a lift?

Probably. But you'd most likely get a violation, or intercepted by the Police

• How do you increase your security clearance, if ever you want to do server hop?

Dunno yet

• Will you be able to walk in a spacestation after you docked?

Yes

• To go from one ship to another?

No

• If you are in a no-gun area, does it mean you can't shoot, you can't show your gun or that if you shoot you'll be attacked?

You'll be stripped of your weapons on entry

• What happens to OTS weapons in a no-guns area?

Silly question

• How will you know if you are in a no-gun area?

You'll be notified in the HUD

• Who will handle the NPC cpu processing, the players or the server?

Irrelevant

• Do you need some clearance to leave a region to another one on the same server?

Yes

HOW WILL YOU HANDLE HACKING?

GCO does all processing server side. Hacking, like in most MMOG will be non-existent.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[*]If you are assigned to a better vessel because of your skill, can you choose to keep what you have? I mean, If I get to drive a BCmk1, but I want to stay in a warmonger, can I, freely? (Imagine a Tacops commander in a Sunflahs )

No. You only get one asset. And there is no guarantee that when you are given a new one, that its the same one you had before. Which is why you should strive not to lose the one you have, if you like it

I would have prefered to choose my vessel... Are you forced to accept your new ship?

[*]Will the corridors and room really reflect the true size and shape of the vessel?

Silly question

Don't think so. But with your answer, I suppose it's yes.

[*]If a buddy in a shuttle don't have clearance to leave a planet, but you have clearance and a big ship, can you take his shuttle and give him a lift?

Probably. But you'd most likely get a violation, or intercepted by the Police

I suppose it's at your own risk. Interesting. "We have a clandestine passenger!"

[*]What happens to OTS weapons in a no-guns area?

Silly question

Why? I mean, If you shoot from space, you aren't in the no-gun area. Will the weapon be simply deleted on entry?

[*]Who will handle the NPC cpu processing, the players or the server?

Irrelevant

Irrelevant? You said before that 60% of the processor usage is used for the AI, so knoing who process that can be useful. If the server does the job, then you have a game going 2 times faster.

[*]HOW WILL YOU HANDLE HACKING?

GCO does all processing server side. Hacking, like in most MMOG will be non-existent.

I've read that in most MMOG, there is A LOT of hacking, BECAUSE the game is server-side. The guy who hacks just have to go in the server, and give himself a Stormcarrier full of vagrants. And intantaneous "console" player kills. Those people really kill the game.

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Guest Potatofred

from GCO FAQ:

quote:

If you own it, you can sell it, trade it, or give it away

ok, so a comander decides (for some reason, i dont know)to give his carrier away to some newbie marine. (now im asuming that the marine doesnt have comander in his career path) would the marine be able to do anything with it? or will you not be able to give certain things to certain people?

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: Potatofred ]

quote:

ok, so a comander decides (for some reason, i dont know)to give his carrier away to some newbie marine. (now im asuming that the marine doesnt have comander in his career path) would the marine be able to do anything with it? or will you not be able to give certain things to certain people?

A marine will never become a space craft commander.

Apart from that, what do you think a carrier is? Its not something you can tote around on your back you know. If you give the access codes of your primary asset to someone else, and they are qualified to fly it, then they will. Once you give it away, you no longer have rights to it. Thats how the trading aspect works.

Guest Commander Hamblin

quote:

Nonetheless, most commanders of military warships probably weren't originally figther pilots.

You're right, but there are some exceptions. For one, all Aircraft Carriers are commanded by former pilots who have taken, in the Royal Navy at least, the PWO course, or Principal Warfare Officer's course, and have worked through the rest of their career in that job on Aircraft Carriers, or land based installations.

I'm sure it's something similar in the US Navy, and I know that all Aircraft Carrier Captain's are former pilots (Though that doesn't necessarily hold true for Battle Group Commanders, who would be Admirals, and would be in command of the Carrier, even though the Captain is technically in command).

quote:

Can you be in first person in all capital ships?

You can't be in first person in capital ships. Period. Only stations. There are fewer station types than there are capital ships (carrier/cruiser/transport) and it would be a tremendous undertaking to build internal levels for them. I don't have those kind of resources. And even if I did, GCO won't be out until 2003 if I were crazy enough to undetake such a task

Agreed, building all these levels sounds like a massive undertaking. However is it possible to release or build a level editor similar to those we've seen with some of those "other" games out there? He-he. Considering the dedication and size of your fan base, all of these levels could be designed for you in the public domain for *free* and then you get to choose which ones you want to include in the game. I say this because my son was really looking foward to sneaking on board my ship and sniping me from behind while commanding my bridge.

WarpCore

quote:

Originally posted by WarpCore:

I say this because my son was really looking foward to sneaking on board my ship and sniping me from behind while commanding my bridge.

LOL..."but Dad, shooting you in the back of the head that way is a sure sign of respect, now hand over your vessel!"

quote:

capital ships (carrier/cruiser/transport) and it would be a tremendous undertaking to build internal levels for them.

Maybe you could build one standard level and use it for all capital ships. The average player won't really care if all the ships have a similar deck layout, compared to the awe of being able to actually board an enemy vessel in first person.

Just a thought

quote:

Maybe you could build one standard level and use it for all capital ships. The average player won't really care if all the ships have a similar deck layout, compared to the awe of being able to actually board an enemy vessel in first person.

Agreed. Wouldn't bother me one bit, new "levels" could always be added later. Being able to move around your ship in first person would really take this game to another level! (Although its way way way above the others already)!!!

WarpCore

quote:

LOL..."but Dad, shooting you in the back of the head that way is a sure sign of respect, now hand over your vessel!"

He-he

WarpCore

[ 05-22-2001: Message edited by: WarpCore ]

[ 05-22-2001: Message edited by: WarpCore ]

I understand that in GCO if your server connection suddenly drops you will reappear right where you were. But if say you were an assasin and you were sneaking into an enemy's base and you were detected could you just pull the plug on your internet connection, wait awhile, and then reappear. Another maybe scenario would be you're a trader running from raiders or merc's and you're about to die could you do the same thing?

Get your own subject! Like: Does any one care that the game will be delayed for 8 years while the SC and friends try to add FPS leves about for every possible ship to a game (GCO) almost complete(About 2 years if i am correct)?

Or: Every one should give SC and friends a big headake

--- sorry but i am in such a bad mood today...

I understand that having first person levels would be a large undertaking but I think it would really add to the appeal of GCO, considering the competition. Other companies are starting to catch on and are starting to develop similar games such as Earth & Beyond which appears to also let you enter a planets atmosphere but I don't think has first person perspective. Then there's Star Wars Galaxies who has announced an add on pack they will release later that will allow people to own and fly starships and fighters, they have also just released some screen shots and they look very good. I don't know if SWG will allow you to into those ships in fps but I'm sure they're thinking about it. I think levels inside the ship would be very appealing especially if other games don't have it. I have always enjoyed BC3K and I would be willing to volunteer to help design the interior of ships as I'm sure many fans would. I want GCO to be a success but I've seen the competition and looks real good.

SC,

I am not a BC expert by any means, but there seems to be quite a few spacestation types in the BC universe. Are you designing interior level for all of these stations? This must be a massive undertaking all in its own.

WarpCore

quote:

Originally posted by WarpCore:

I am not a BC expert by any means, but there seems to be quite a few spacestation types in the BC universe. Are you designing interior level for all of these stations? This must be a massive undertaking all in its own.

If you read the assests sheet, you'll see that there are 13 distinct station types. If each station only has 3 decks, that's 39 seperate decks. Each deck could easily be 5km2 but for easy of number go with 2km2 that's 78km2 of area to fill! Quite an undertaking indeed no matter how you slice it.

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

He must also be designing "levels" for buildings on planets, because we will be able to go into some of those structures as well. I would be happy with to see a single "level" for bases, a single "level" for buildings and a single "level" for capital ships with the ability for users and the SC to build their own as addons later. A "level editor" of sorts. That should make it easier on the SC in the long run. Just some thoughts.

He could even design a few levels after release and sell it as a "mappack".

I would buy.

WarpCore

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: WarpCore ]

Single level would suck, especially if they are all the same, eg. one for the buildings, one for ships, one for stations. You would already know what to expect before you enter it and what the most strategic positions are and where to go. No way. The game will be great as it is, and if SC decides to add something later on, (he always does) he will do so.

Well, ofcourse the more levels the better, but the more levels the longer it will take the SC to finish them all. I often found that in some of those "other" games, people often tend to gravitate toward 3 or 4 favorite maps and play them repeatedly anyway. A lot of those multiplayer servers only cycle between 4 different maps. Considering this I don't think it would "suck" especially since we would be spending a lot of time in other places anyway (the BC Universe is just HUGE)! I would like to see a lot of maps but I would love it even more to see capital ship levels (and so would my kids - sniper rifles in hand).

WarpCore

My, my, quite a crowd at this airlock Mind if I join?

I'd like to say for one, I was looking forward to walking the halls of my own "castle" in the sky, as it were. Personally, I couldn't care less if I could walk around on a station. That's not my home, is it? I want to see my command, my crew. A tall ship is a commander's true home. Not some stuffy office in a starstation, nor some barracks on some planet sneezing from the local allergens, not even if it be Earth. Like the mariner of old, a commander hears the call of the great ocean of space! Despite space being a vacuum! That just shows how deep its call runs in our blood! Give me a ship to stand on and I'll defend it to the last! Let me stand tall and walk among my men! Let me stand triumphantly on my bridge! And woe to the foul fiends who foolishly fire flak on my fearless commander!!! theme music>

Ok, that was a little over-the-top, but it conveys my feelings on having ship levels vs. station levels. I was hoping for at least one ship level. I am confident that SC will continually refine the game over time, and that perhaps some future patch will have everything (or else GCO will). And personally, I think from an immersion perspective being able to walk the halls of your own ship would make it that much more "real" to you. You form an "attachment" to your crew over time - you don't want to lose them and spend time building up AI again. Being able to walk your own decks would make the ship that much more personal to you. I could care less about walking around starstation. That's what subordinates are for: to do those nasty little errands while you plan the next campaign from the comfort of your bridge or ready room.

Large number of ship types aside, I'd be more than happy with just my very own battlecruiser in the box. Just one ship...

I would be more than glad to help making levels. there are only 2 details that ARE problems:

1 - I can't have 3DSmax to run on my computer, it isn't strong enough. But I can use Truespace 4.2. Anyone know that program?It's fast and very good. Anyone has plugins to converts levels and objects to 3ds/max format?

2 - Don't ask for textures... Really not good at it. If I make levels, I'd send them to someone who then would make the textures for it...

But I'd really like to help... somehow.

I'd prefer having only ships to walk in, instead of spacestations. I like to really know WHAT I'm defending from attacks.

And patches can be given as updates to each player upon connection to the GCO network. Free and simple. Derek like his expansions to be free, as I know.

This is ridiculous. One level for each ship/station/building. It makes them all look the same and it turns it into an arcade game rather then a simulation. Especially with the sizes of stations, it's just crazy to think that you can make a level to suit that. Making a realistic representations of every ships interrior is a realistic idea, but I am sure that it will significantly slow down the development of the game and is not worth it at this stage. Maybe after the game ships and SC will have some time on his hands he can make a better simulation by adding all that stuff. Also, it's much better to have good game without the half baked levels then having a game with every station or ships entirior looking the same. Also don't forget, about the bridge, engineering, ready rooms for marines, some ships don't even have that. So what kind of a level you are going to make so that it would fit every ship? A corridor leading to the bridge? It's just better to have things not done at all then having them done half assed.