Galactic Command Online FAQ

Ohso

I already stated my position. So this is just clogging the thread. Next time I come here, I'm going to start deleting repetitive posts.

I AM NOT BUILDING LEVELS FOR SHIPS. PERIOD

There, I hope that its clear now. Maybe the Yellow text I used when I first said this, was Alpha blended and transparent on some people's monitors.

Second, I don't hire amateurs to work on my projects. Never have. Never will. I don't need amateur volunteers. Anyone who has professional level building experience, can send an email resume to Lisa at [email protected]

As for the competition; this is not the first time people have tried to copy my ideas....especially those I created back when everyone was saying that it couldn't be done. Look what happened to Terminus. Freelancer is, well, lets just wait and see. There are others that haven't either seen the light of day, or probably never will.

Ideas are one thing. Implementing them and having the tech and wherewithall to do them, are another. Mankind is one such disaster. Dark Space just got dropped by UBIsoft (Blue Byte tried to tie the original game to their Battle Isle series, prior to being bought out by UBIsoft). The list goes on.

ALL those massively mp games are about going somewhere shooting up sh*t, buying stuff, selling stuff etc. I dunno about you, but I don't need to pay $10 a month to play that. I can do that offline in one of many games.

GCO will offer a lot more than that and probably eclipse BCM in terms of technology, gameplay and a freeform universe. What am NOT going to do, is release a game in 2004, thats supposed to debut in 2002. I might as well start from scratch. I certainly don't have money to hire 20 level authors, lock them in a room, and hope they produce internal levels for, not only the planetary bases, but also the stations and ships in GCO.

Anyone want to send me $2m? I can add that to what I get from BCM, and do it. The more money I throw at it, the more qualified people I can hire.

What?!? no takers? Didn't think so. Now clam up and siddown - the lot of you.

You have NO idea what it takes to pull off something of that scope. To some of you, its just a matter of building levels. Thats not all there is to it.

Let the competition do what they want. I don't go to sleep at night worrying about what they're doing. With ALL the money that most of the past and recent flops had, they still couldn't pull off a good game, let alone a great one. It takes a lot more than money and ideas (even if they're someone else's), to do a good game.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, after looking back over these posts we all sound like we're asking our parents for that Red Rider pellet gun for Christmas.

Us: Please!!

SC: No!!

Us: Pleeeeese!!!

SC: I said no, damnit!! You'll shoot your eye out kid.

Sorry, SC didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. When I said volunteer I meant for free in my free time. I didn't expect to be hired or paid. There are a lot of fans out there that make mods for their favorite games they release for free over the internet. These are the people I was referring to, the ones who do it for fun without expecting any compensation. They are amateurs but there are a lot of them and they would do it for free, and if you accepted anything done by them you could have them sign a contract before you use it in the game so they couldn't sue you later if they felt they were employed (like the Ultima Online case). I'm just suggesting that may be a resource you could potentially utilize.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Plasmic ]

quote:

Sorry, SC didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. When I said volunteer I meant for free in my free time. I didn't expect to be hired or paid. There are a lot of fans out there that make mods for their favorite games they release for free over the internet. These are the people I was referring to, the ones who do it for fun without expecting any compensation. They are amateurs but there are a lot of them and they would do it for free, and if you accepted anything done by them you could have them sign a contract before you use it in the game so they couldn't sue you later if they felt they were employed (like the Ultima Online case). I'm just suggesting that may be a resource you could potentially utilize.

No

Guest Commander Hamblin

Back when BC: TE was cancelled, he went over this. If I remember correctly, he had a bad experience even making the offer that BC: TE be completed by amateur modders in their spare time, and didn't want to take the risk.

Sorry, SC, I guess I started all this mess

I wasn't originally expecting to see indoor environments in GCO but then you said you'll have unique levels designed for each station and I thought "hey, if it's possible to have indoor levels for stations, it'd be cooler and perhaps even less work to build 1 level for all stations and 1 level for all vessels".

And then all heck broke loose and I can't remember anything afterwards. LOL

quote:

i think that building levels for ships would move the gold date for GCO so far back that everyone would loose intrest. If you want to have levels for ships make your OWN IN A DIFFRENT GAME!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Read an article in the scientific american about a russian torpedo called "Shkval" (squall) which is capable of ultrahigh speeds around 230 mph! It seems the Russians

have the edge on the supercavitation technology. Seems like a good technology voor 3000AD voor the new subs in GCO

I have 2 relatively stupid questions to ask:

What will be the min. requirement to be a GCO beta tester?

Is there a way I could be a game master? I'd be more than happy saving the game from possible cheaters and hackers.

I plan on severely upgrading my computer this summer, first thing will be the vid. I want a radeon.

I heard that if you have at least a Geforce 2, then Geforce 3 is not worth the upgrade, (Computer Gaming mag) however if you have less than a G2 then you should go for it. There is supposedly some new stuff on the horizon making upgrading now a waste of time unless you are already in the stone age of computing

quote:

Radeon sucks for performance, get a Geforce 3

1 - I don't have an AGP port, and know where to buy pci radeon

2 - Price: radeon vivo 64 ddr 300cnd, gf2 gts 64mb 370cnd. Too much. I'm not even sure I'll have the money for the radeon.

3 - I stick with ATI

Just about any card nowadays can crank out at least 30FPS even under a severe CPU load on a half-decent system (relative to a game's specs) with a large number of bells'n'whistles turned on, so framerates don't matter as much to me as graphical quality. As far as quality/accuracy, the Radeons seemed to edge out the GF2 cards from what I've read.

I must say that the GF3 got some cool stuff in it though, and being the newest card right now, of course it will likely outperform everything. But I also must say that ATI's upcoming TruForm tech for the upcoming Radeon IIs looks very promising. It supposedly will even be able to make older games look better by automatically boosting the number of triangles used in rendering. The effect is very impressive from the images I've seen. I'm already wondering what BCM will look like being piped through the TruForm engine on the Radeon II

• 1 month later...

quote:

I have a question (note: I'm not going to ask you to make the levels)

If there are no levels for ships then where will the player marines be while they're not planetside??

Also I think I read that when someone logs off their assets disappear untill they log on again, if so where are all the players occupying his/her ship go when the captain logs off??? and what happens if they want to play when the captain is logged off? surly they aren't restricted to playing only when their captain is playing. (hope hope)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I did a search through the message board but came up empty.

I remember hearing a while back (in my FPS days) That SC was considering the Serious Sam engine for the interiors, and buildings in GCO or a future patch for BCM.

I beat Serious Sam, That is a dang fine Engine. Nice effects and detail. Just wondering if you considered the Lithtech engine. That is currently my favorite. NOLF just blew me away. It can handle very large outdoor areas and high levels of geometry. The newest release sports Curved Surfaces, and a few other new features.

I know at one time, maybe still, BCM was going to use the Oxygen3D engine. Is that still the case? I know it fully supported the Quake3.BSP format. So Im kind of suprised you did not automatically go that route. Especially considering that Everyones Video Drivers are Streamlined to run it as fast as possible. The GORE engine is totally awesome. That game will turn some heads when it comes out.

One last thought. Remember the Prey Engine that was under development a while back? that one would probably been ideal. Every structure was "destroyable". You could have literally blown and entire Building, or area to bits. Would have worked great with the destroy and repair nature in BCM/GCO

I know you have probobly looked at more 3D engines than common folk like me even know exsist. And that you will make the best choice based on Your desire for the Game, and cost. I Just enjoy getting the thought process that goes into a desicion like this, and to talk "shop" about the various possabilities

I was wondering, In your FAQ you talk about experienced players being able to request a site be built by your team.

Along that same idea, what about someone like myself, who (depending on the 3D indoor engine you choose) Builds a "base" for his/her Fleet/corp. Could they submit it for approval and inclusion on their home planet or approved location? This is all taking into account the proper chain of command through the affiliated fleet ect..

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

no way baby,

Kyro3 all the way.

Tile based Rendering

4 pipelines

T&L (DX8)

DDR memory

250-300mhz clock.

1000mpixel raw fill rate (100% efficiency)

3000mpixel Effective fill 3X overdraw

8 texture Single pass

At least 10MPPS sustained.

Q4 relese. (oct-dec)

The O3D guys went the way of the do-do

I have the Serious Sam engine license and will be using it only for the interior rendering in GCO. If it doesn't marry well with my existing engines, I will just develop my own indoor renderer and use the SS engine for the Xbox project, as planned.

As for building levels for GCO. You can't do it. GCO is an MMOG and NO user content will be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

Epsilon 5...

Personally, I would go with a cheap Geforce 2 before I would touch an ATI board.

Their drivers SUCK. They always have, and probably always will.

I used to love ATI, I learned the lesson the hard way. All I ever hear about NVidia is how solid their drivers are. It's important. Very important. You can get a Geforce 2 in Montreal for around $200. I would seriously go for that if I were you. But that's just my opinion. You can, of course, do whatever you want.

(Personally I'm saving my pennies for a Geforce 3, but I want to wait until the price drops a bit more. Maybe around December. Until then, my Voodoo 3 3000 is my old faithfull. Right till the end. )

The ASUS DELUXE v8200 GeForce 3 seems to be the optimal choice for me, of course it is kind of overkill for most people, it is relatively inexpensive. Only a two weeks paycheck and I can have one !

• 3 weeks later...

you now about the news system i have an idea

what would be really cool if you got shot down it will reported the next to the news channel

Like This

Yester a brave and stupid commander Jamont risked his entire crew and his ship in gammulan space , the ship was destroyed the commander hanged from a tall tree.

neat huh