BCM Multiplayer Save

Guest skeezix

Guest skeezix

I was deeply disheartened when I searched and found a closed topic which stated BCM would not have multiplayer save. The message stated the host would have keep the game running in order to extend gameplay. I have a LAN in my house and all of the computers are used extensively (and thus get hung/rebooted regularly). I don't have the money to devote to a game server. I had been telling my son for years to hold out for BCM cause that would be the first game since Wing Commander Armada (which we both played and had a great time with years ago) with multiplayer save. To me, the real fun of multiplayer games is the ability to extend gameplay over many days/weeks/months - something just not possible without save capability. Is there any hope for multiplayer save in future versions?

Skeezix

Guest skeezix

I guess there must have been some mention of multiplayer save during development and it stuck in my head. Perhaps the idea was surfaced and sunk and I missed the sunk part.

I believe that an announcement was made not long ago that the SC was considering enabling persistent servers. This would allow a pesistent game universe and probably stat saving. Is this what you mean by multiplayer save?

Guest skeezix

No, not really. I believe the type of persistance of which you speak is maintained by leaving the server on. As long as the server is on, the universe persists. I'd like to be able to save everything and shut down the server (because the "server" will end up being my PC - which doesn't know how to go for more than a day without a reboot).

quote:

Is there any hope for multiplayer save in future versions?

It depends on what you mean. Saving a multiplayer game never was in the BCM design and I don't plan on doing it.

The special dedicated persistent servers, which applies only to dedicated WIN2K servers (these are not supported on any other OS, not even WIN98 or WINME, at this time) are only persistent in that the server runs 24-7 - unless it crashes. If you log on and play, and then log off, your game state for that session are NOT saved.

If someone hosts an MP game on the same machine that they are playing on, if they log off, the game will also shutdown. There is also a timeout value which prevents people with always-on broadband connections from logging into a dedicated server and leaving their client running for extended periods. Sort of logging in, leaving your ship at a station....and going to school.

GCO, which is designed differently, has mp saves and all data is stored at the server, not at the client.

Nice pics, SC!... Eclipse returns to trying to download massive file....

Ed: whoops accidentally posted in the wrom topic.

[ 05-18-2001: Message edited by: Eclipse ]