New BCM shots & E2 demo news!!

Supreme Cmdr

Excerpt from the VCF

quote:

The current weather condition is now shown in NID/NIR mode. It also has a weather forecast mode which lets you know the next predictable weather condition.

Wow!! A weather forecast feature! Isn't that cool or what? I don't think any other game has used this idea before. I was thinking about the orbital model, perhaps the forecast ability would only work if there's a friendly ship or probe orbiting the planet. That would make the orbital model even more useful.

Anyway, that was a great idea!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't someone post some pics of his ship being underwater in the General Discussion forum and then someone else commented how cool it was about the ship being underwater and then SC said that it's because he hasn't implemented the water recognition yet that ships are able to go under water. From that I gather that your capital ships wont be able to, don't know about the shuttles and such. But it's no biggie, remember that you can visit so many moons and planets and even gas giants (if you dare). GCO will be really cool from this point though (about the underwater worlds and such).

By the way, I remembered that series in Voyager where they come accross a water planet. Now a planet made entirely of water and a whole bases and cities in it would be so really really cool.

quote:

At this point, I believe that the CC's ability to launch support craft (shuttles) underwater is still...up in the air

No its not. You can't do it.

And enough with the lame questions, guys. Just read the

VCF

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

(Snip my up in the air comment)

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No its not. You can't do it.

And enough with the lame questions, guys. Just read the

Humor sometimes just doesn't translate well in written form only, especially mine that requires a glass of water be served as a side dish - dang there I go with that water thing again. Anyway, the point of my malformed pun was that the CC would need to be "up in the air" for shuttles to successfully launch.

My excerpt about reading the VCF had nothing to do with your post, Tyrn. Which is why I used two paragraphs ---> I answered your question and then addressed the silly questions I keep seeing in this thread.

Guest rtoolooze

Nice!!!!! You sure are working your a** off S.C. And it shows.

Hey everyone, can you believe that BCM is really gonna go gold soon!!!!!!

Three cheers for the S.C., Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

Guest $iLk

quote:

Originally Posted by Tac
I expect to see man eating sharks swallowing the swimming infantry in BCM patch 5...

That would be really cool to have organic obstacles to face on planets like giant squids and stuff like that, like when the happy pilot gets off his sinking fighter and is GULPED down by a big fish like in Star Wars Episode I. hehe. These shots and the features in the VCF are getting better and better, and the possiblilities for further updates and/or changes to the game are endless. No other game has given so much freedom to really simulate space or real life. Imagination is no longer the only road open to us Sci Fi nuts, BCM does the work for us

Wonderful shots. Can't wait for Episode II.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

BCM/GCO really need torpedoes, even weak ones. what about ATW missiles? Air to water? Or that the APM-RADIX could shoot even underwater.

BCM is not GCO and doesn't have any underwater vehicles so why would BCM need torpedoes?

quote:

I don't want the D.S.V. sub to destroy my ship in GCO without being able to shoot back.

There hasn't ever been an unbalanced situation such are you're describing in the BC series, what makes you think that Derek would create a ship class that could not be attacked?

The problem appears to be that people are merging BCM and GCO. BCM is the big brother to BC3K, it has all the features that made BC3K what it is and then much more. GCO will be the big brother to BCM, having the features of BCM but again with much more. If the differences are kept straight, people won't be wondering why BCM won't include torpedos to give us the ability to destroy an object which won't be in the BC Universe until GCO.

hehe, thanks Tyrn, you did a better job explaing that, t han I thought possible.

Just because they can swim in BCM (and thats only because I had it in the design since day one, since the new terrain engine supports underwater areas), now they want sharks, subs, torpedoes and the like. Go figure.

There WILL be subs, torpedos, sharks (and other marine plant/animal lifeforms) etc....but only in GCO. NOTHING that I have in GCO, is going in BCM.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

SWWEEEEETTT!!! AWESOME! HEE HEE!

Now where is that demo ep2? Enough screen shots, I want to try it!

Let me guess... He's currently not bothering with the demo because he's running out of time for the gold release... Close enough?

quote:

Originally posted by MaHuJa:

Will going underwater have sensor effects?

quote:

Originally posted by hindot:

Does the water mask u from sensors?

That came a bit late, didn't it?

Besides my question leaves a bit more room - I mean - water doesn't have to mask you, but it may make it more difficult to see you (visually and on radar) and perhaps bend sight (and other EM based detection systems?) like normal water does - so you seem to be placed elsewhere.

Anyway, that's a discussion to spare for GCO - because If you enter the water in BCM, you've laid the big egg.

hmm.... SC, how do you plan to make it underwater? I mean, submarines don't have visual (or radar) except over the surface... below they only have their sonars... I guess the main screen could have a "synthetic" picture created from what's known of the surroundings? (much like bc3k claimed to have...)

Or have we invented new sensors by the time? Just not "underwater radar" - name says not.

Just a couples oopses in my last post...

>doesn't have to mask you, but it may make it more difficult to see you

I mean, make it more difficult to detect, but perhaps not impossible? Once you get close enough you find, but got problems getting an exact fix...

> If you enter the water in BCM, you've laid the big egg.

With your capship...

>Just not "underwater radar" - name says not.

For those who didn't know:

RAdio Detection And Ranging

Never heard of underwater radio except as a dream - so far at least. Instead other methods are used.