BCM XP - The Grand Scheme Unveiled

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

This is almost too good to be true... boy oh boy this game is going to have legs.....

thank you SC.. this game and its future is just what I was hoping for.

I missed out two items which I have now added. So a search the feature list for 'hyperspace' and 'explosion'.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what to say...

It amazes me how all those things can be put in a game running on our PC and not on some NASA mainframes!!!

But again, is it for real or am I still dreaming??

Wow, thanks SC, even if I'd better call my laywer, as I belive my wife will be a "little" upset when XP1 will be out!

The cockpit pics are incredibly cool. BCM is already my favorite game and with XP1 I may not ever bother buying any other games. But has anybody noticed that the is just the list for XP1?How much cooler could BC be?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Idiot question...

Multiplayer is before XP1? Like MP1 (heh)

Is Mp going to be released well before XP1?

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

Gentlemen, so far today, I have deleted FIVE threads related to XP1.

ALL XP1 questions and comments should be posted in THIS thread. XP1 is not yet released and is NOT a topic for discussion in other threads.

First warning

Last warning

Ok boys and girls, I have the all new drool cups ready for sale.

They come with the easy mount ear pieces so you can quickly hang these puppies to catch all that spittle that would usually be in your lap or down the front of your shirt.

I'm wearing mine now.

For all you cheapskates we have lobster bibs.

SC,

I am looking forward to trying to break XP-1.

And...If I made a trip to Florida, could I trouble you for ten seconds of your time to shake your hand?

Guest Remo Williams

I'll take one of those drool cups please!

quote:

All new high definition planetary maps (what you see from space as you approach the planet)

Wow there outstanding now how could you make them any better?

Reads BCM XP - The Grand Scheme Unveiled

........falls off the chair and spills coffee all over the place.

Boss: Pauli, what are you doing?

Me: Uuuhmm... nothing, just trying to get this darn database to work

Edit: Can we get fuzzy dices in the cockpit

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Papi ]

I think the SC is just trying to make sure that AMD and Intel stay in business, because I know for a fact that XP-1 is going to take my computer to it's knees, it will be begging for mercy!!

I think I will put it out of it's agony before then and upgrade before this summer!!

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

I'll take one of those drool cups please!

Wow there outstanding now how could you make them any better?

1. Increasing the number of polys on the 3D sphere itself (this will make it smoother and less blocky)

2. Increasing the map resolution (which is now 1024x512)

With the increased system requirements for XP1, these and other graphical enhancements are now more possible and plausible than they were two years ago when development on BCM started.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I think the SC is just trying to make sure that AMD and Intel stay in business, because I know for a fact that XP-1 is going to take my computer to it's knees, it will be begging for mercy!!

I think I will put it out of it's agony before then and upgrade before this summer!!

heh, I think they said that the cheque is in the mail. Lying bastards.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hellbinder sent me a private message about a mp question he had. I think it must have been one of those XP1 threads I deleted. I can't remember what the question was, but I think it was about whether the BCM mp patch will be out before XP1.

The answer is yes. XP1 is not due out until Summer. The mp patch is WIP and has been for quite some time. There is no firm date for sending it out to the Beta testers, but when that happens, I will post about it.

Also, once the Beta testers have given it the once over, I will release it as an RC candidate so that everyone can get their hands on it, take it apart, stress test it etc (the same thing we have been doing with some critical BCM patches).

And yes, I am going to allow people to setup their own internet (and LAN) servers but the 3000AD run fleet servers will be for dev, beta testers, fleet leaders and their *invited* fleet members only.

Make NO mistake about it, you will NOT be able to run an mp server on anything short of the following MINIMUM specs :

[*]Pentium III 1Ghz or AMD Athlon processor

[*]WIN 2K/XP (with all service packs)

[*]256 MB RAM

[*]16MB DirectX 8 compliant 3D graphics card

[*]16Bit DirectX 8 compliant sound card

[*]CD-ROM

[*]500MB uncompressed hard drive disk space

[*]Microsoft compatible mouse

[*]Broadband (cable or xDSL) connection

The server won't be doing any graphics processing, so a 16MB graphics card is just fine.

And if you decide to play (as a client) on the same server you are running, well then, you need to ensure that your server can handle the load.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Christ, I won't be hosting any servers for some time!

I guess I'll just have to settle for being occasionally let into the Fleet server or joining others.

I think the only system req I have met is the 16mb 3D card to join a server as a client... thank god I have a Geforce 3 Titanium 500... the rest of my computer is ****. Except maybe the 21 inch monitor... WIDE SCREEN!

SC, are you worried that those kinda minimum specs may scare off potential buyers? BCM goes into widespread release next month, and thousands of new gamers all over the world will be coming into the fold, many with underpowered systems. Won't this put BCO and XP effectively out of their reach?

All I can say is: "Can't wait for XP1!"

And I second that thought: when do we preorder? LOL...

Question: if you can't view the entire planet from orbit at once (the conical projection thingy) what do you do if you want to mess with some stuff thats outside the cone? E.g. set waypoints for a shuttle to go by a base outside the cone. Or set waypoints to retrieve mining drones outside this cone?