BCG Sneak Peak (was BCM XP1)

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

[QBNo, I'm serious.. I'd like to know the size... gives me a better idea. All I know is that it's looks BIG.. I want measurements [/QB]

Read my FIRST post again. S_L_O_W_L_Y this time.

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

OMG

Everytime the BC series gets an update I need to replace my keyboard can anybody recommend a good spill proof unit this time???????

Well, everyone agrees that we've got the kick-ass gameplay already. All I'm doing is putting in the kick-ass graphics in order to appease both sides of the graphics vs gameplay camps.

Besides, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. Just wait.

quote:

Everytime the BC series gets an update I need to replace my keyboard can anybody recommend a good spill proof unit this time???????

Well, I'm typing on a Memorex TS1000. Very nice keyboard, and with a lot of features. It really is spillproof (I had to test that a few times on this board), and plus, it just feels right.

As for the shots, they are mighty impressive. If the rest of the game looks like that, you should invest in a trophy case big enough to hold your simulation game of the year trophy.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

[QBNo, I'm serious.. I'd like to know the size... gives me a better idea. All I know is that it's looks BIG.. I want measurements

Read my FIRST post again. S_L_O_W_L_Y this time.[/QB]

I see a poly count and the size of the textures, but no kilometers

quote:

quote:

quote:

[QBNo, I'm serious.. I'd like to know the size... gives me a better idea. All I know is that it's looks BIG.. I want measurements

I see a poly count and the size of the textures, but no kilometers [/QB]
Yes.... We want numbers! (Like the ones in the appendix, about how big it is in km or such.)

Please?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.... We want numbers! (Like the ones in the appendix, about how big it is in km or such.)

Please? [/QB]

Yes please

Lookin' really good! If I had three thumbs, they'd all be up! (Perhaps possible if I changed my BC race?)

You know you're helping to fund the computer industry, SC? Definitely need to upgrade here, more $$$ for the hardware guys again.

I probably shouldn't be saying this, but this was simply too weird; I must share! That peaked thing on top in the middle of the station in Image 3 reminds me of the pavilion my dad's company would always reserve for their Kennywood day (for those of you who aren't from Pittsburgh, PA, Kennywood's our area amusement park). Not exactly like it, but that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that particular angle (and was done drooling over the first two shots). Go figure.

Hey, but like I said, it looks really, really good. Just ignore my odd mental abberations.

[ 02-08-2002, 20:50: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Excellent work Jason. That is top notch stuff. I am a little curious though SC, do you provide the "Sketches " to him first of what you want or is he creating this new stuff from scratch with your final approval on what he sends you?

Either way kudos to to the both of you. Can't wait to buzz it in my asset.

Cheers

quote:

oh?

Well, from BCS, the stats (in meters)are:

5600.07M (H) x 1005.70M (W) x 3512.71M (L)

[ 02-09-2002, 11:48: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

the graphics are such a big update from the origional, poeple from voodooextreme cant beleave it their saying it prerenderd, but we knows its not so

Like, who cares what they think? Every game asset on the planet, is created in Max and exported to the target engine (in this case BCM) format as-is; so am not sure what they're talking about. In fact, Peter did that skybox about three weeks ago and is used in one of the shots on the XP1 shots page.

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

Excellent work Jason. That is top notch stuff. I am a little curious though SC, do you provide the "Sketches " to him first of what you want or is he creating this new stuff from scratch with your final approval on what he sends you?

It depends. Sometimes I give him open season (as in the case of this station) and other times I give him a description of what I want and he takes off with it. I get to approve and sign off on everything, including whatever changes are required etc. Thats normal - but usually I give all my content folks a general idea of what I want, the direction they should be heading in etc. And they just take off and go do it, without any further from me, other than whatever changes are required for my final sign off.

heh, if you see Eric's new character animations, you'll just scream out load. Wait for the AVI.

Impressive chief. You plan on replacing all the existing starstations with new models or are these just new stations (plural)?

Was checking GNN, saw that ye had put the Apache and UH-60 cockpits.. they're really sweet. Very detailed and crisp. Please tell me they are 3d cockpits..that we can click on the buttons and get things going (like in Apache Longbow 2 *G*). In my best cartman impersonation.. SSSU-WEEEET!!

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Impressive chief. You plan on replacing all the existing starstations with new models or are these just new stations (plural)?

ALL the original BCM assets will be touched up (materials e.g. bumps, rust, metal etc) and some will have improved models (more polys) etc. The new models (e.g. these stations, characters+anims etc) of course are from scratch. With the addition of shadows, point lights, multiple dynamic light sources, materials etc, even the older assets will look as-new in XP1. Several models (e.g. some of the ground vehicles e.g lav, hav etc and some fighters) are being redone from scratch (new model+texture) for XP1.

Here is an EMBM (supported on Matrox G400, ATI Radeon and GF 3/4) bump mapped Warmonger. DOT3 bump mapping may also be supported, though that one is more of a programming feature rather than an art one. For EMBM, the artists create the bump map etc.

There is a brand new graphics rendering engine in XP1 (no, its not the Serious Engine) and which will power XP2, BCO etc. It supports every DX8 feature that I need and which I don't have to worry about implementing in the current BCM graphics engine (which is being gutted).

That engine supports every high-end rendering feature you can think of and its tools allow Jason, Eric and the other content folks to export all materials, point lights, anims, paths etc from MAX, directly into its tools. From there, it goes directly into BCM XP1 as-is. Apart from my adding my own technologies (tags, AI params etc) which that engine doesn't support (and which we are jamming into its tools, using the source code), very minimal post-modification is done to the exported assets. In fact, that engine's own tools allow you to view exported assets as they appear in MAX and as rendered using its own engine.

For more on whats in XP1, read the features list.

I will be releasing two AVIs on Monday, to go with my new dev diary. They are promos AVIs showing off the new assets, a new sound track etc.

quote:

Please tell me they are 3d cockpits..that we can click on the buttons and get things going

Probably not. I'm not creating a realistic flight sim. I'm creating an alternate world which uses modern day units. That world (from XP2) will also be a unique world on the BCO servers so that if you don't want to play on a sci-fi server, go to a realistic one. Its your monthly fee, so you can create avatars on any server (sci-fi or modern day) you wish. The benefit of flying an F15 over an F14 is in the model, slight flight dynamics change and the armaments; as well as the launch platform (e.g. F14 will only launch off carriers).

[ 02-11-2002, 08:52: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

quote:

oh?

Well, from BCS, the stats (in meters)are:

5600.07M (H) x 1005.70M (W) x 3512.71M (L)

You said the station what the biggest yet.. but GHQ measures at 12424.27M (H) x 27882.35M (W) x 27880.98M (L)... did you missed a zero somewhere?

quote:

heh, if you see Eric's new character animations, you'll just scream out load. Wait for the AVI.

I can't wait to see a marine coughing *g*

quote:

ALL the original BCM assets will be touched up (materials e.g. bumps, rust, metal etc) and some will have improved models (more polys) etc. The new models (e.g. these stations, characters+anims etc) of course are from scratch. With the addition of shadows, point lights, multiple dynamic light sources, materials etc, even the older assets will look as-new in XP1. Several models (e.g. some of the ground vehicles e.g lav, hav etc and some fighters) are being redone from scratch (new model+texture) for XP1.

Cool. I was thinking about asking that...

quote:

Here is an EMBM (supported on Matrox G400, ATI Radeon and GF2/3/4) bump mapped Warmonger.

SWEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!

quote:

That engine supports every high-end rendering feature you can think of and its tools allow Jason, Eric and the other content folks to export all materials, point lights, anims, paths etc from MAX, directly into its tools. From there, it goes directly into BCM XP1 as-is. Apart from my adding my own technologies (tags, AI params etc) which that engine doesn't support (and which we are jamming into its tools, using the source code), very minimal post-modification is done to the exported assets. In fact, that engine's own tools allow you to view exported assets as they appear in MAX and as rendered using its own engine.

Good move

quote:

I will be releasing two AVIs on Monday, to go with my new dev diary. They are promos AVIs showing off the new assets, a new sound track etc.

I can't wait

quote:

Probably not. I'm not creating a realistic flight sim.

Awww....

quote:

That world (from XP2) will also be a unique world on the BCO servers so that if you don't want to play on a sci-fi server, go to a realistic one.

Will there be some way in XP2 to bring a battlecruiser in atmoshphere and start beating up F22's and B-52H bombers?

quote:

(e.g. F14 will only launch off carriers).

Huh? a F14 can launch from an airport last of my knowledge.