BCG Sneak Peak (was BCM XP1)

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

Will it be possible for the engine that if you build a new base that it does shine , and after e couple of days of play it will be less shiny?

unless you hire someone to wax it

ha-ha. No. Siddown

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Well the station looks like it lost all of its paint...

LOL!! True. But I'll be adding a more subtle specular at some point. Besides, in the new engine, it will look a LOT better. Wait for the new shots to appear and you'll see what I mean.

I think it looks great. And there's definitely a sense of scale beyond anything I've seen going, as well.

I haven't been this stunned by a true sense of scale in a game since Jedi Knight, which was, for it's time, a work of art.

(I still get the urge to take a dramamine before I exit the CC in FPS mode to spacewalk, heheh).

Idaho

[ 03-06-2002, 15:56: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

Duncan, I dunno about that ever play freespace2, I beleave that game still holds the title for bigest space vareing vessles, It had a ship called the GTV Colloussus, It was about 2x biger then the stations in bcm, it takes 5/6 minutes just to fly down the hull of the vessle.

Only problem is I thought I heard sc say biger ships take up more cpu cycles, so something that size just being in the system would probly lag a 1ghz comp.

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

It had a ship called the GTV Colloussus, It was about 2x biger then the stations in bcm, it takes 5/6 minutes just to fly down the hull of the vessle.

Only problem is I thought I heard sc say biger ships take up more cpu cycles, so something that size just being in the system would probly lag a 1ghz comp.

Nope. Wrong answer. That ship was NOWHERE near the size of ANY station in BCM. Period. You must have been playing a different version of Freespace2 than the rest of the world.

The reason it took that long to span it, is because speeds in FS2 are much, much, lower than in BCM. The faster you go, the quicker you can span a distance. Simple, elementary math.

e.g. GHQ is 27km long, by 27km wide. You can span it quickly because of the high speeds in BCM. As far as I know, there is no ship or structure in FS2 (or ANY game for that matter) that even comes close to those spans.

[ 03-07-2002, 19:40: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I wonder how it would be if the speeds in BCM were different. I mean, right now you can tell and feel the size by comparing two objects next to each other when you zoom out, but if speeds were made to match that then manuevering a fighter between the stations creavaces, or flying along carriers or other capital ships you would be able to tell the size just by that. Interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

I wonder how it would be if the speeds in BCM were different. I mean, right now you can tell and feel the size by comparing two objects next to each other when you zoom out, but if speeds were made to match that then manuevering a fighter between the stations creavaces, or flying along carriers or other capital ships you would be able to tell the size just by that. Interesting.

Why don't you launch a fighter and fly from one end of GHQ to the other at speed factor 1 or 2 and see for yourself. Or pick a speed that is equivalent to, say, Mach 1. Bearing in mind that the BCM speeds are graduated in m/s.

Better yet, exit in fp mode and try to jetpack from one end to the other.

[ 03-07-2002, 22:23: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hehe the biggest freespace ships aren't more than 2 km in length.

I think freespace speed measures are in m/s too. Hehe. The Enrinyes, my favorite ship, could go at 60m/s max approx, 80m/s on a/b! In bcm, my favorite fighter can go up to 2250m/s !! That's why dogfighting in BCM seems tougher, it's not a "turtle fight"

Basically, the Collossus would be somewhere between the Firestorm's and StormCarrier's size.

The fact that alla ships are fast as hell compared to Freespace 2, you have the impression that everything is bigger in FS2. Most of the command ship's speed are around 20-30 m/s. Cut the speeds in BCM by 10 or more and the manoeuvrability og everything by 3 and you will have a better "feel" of sizes.. but I'm not sure you would enjoy BCM as much, since just going from the hyperspace exit point and a starstation would take... an eternity!

er dont take this as a wishlist or anything more of a er.. "gameplay modification" im sure you know it's allmost impossible to hit another fighter with your pta systems, maybe in xp1 you could give the fighter a difreant type of main weapon to give players more of a incentive to play that carrer.

Or maybe make the pta systems autotrack it's target when your closer then 20 clicks, so when you fire the computer aims for you since it's extremely hard to stay that close to an enamy fighter since they move so quick.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Why don't you launch a fighter and fly from one end of GHQ to the other at speed factor 1 or 2 and see for yourself. Or pick a speed that is equivalent to, say, Mach 1. Bearing in mind that the BCM speeds are graduated in m/s.

Better yet, exit in fp mode and try to jetpack from one end to the other.

I tried that, it takes FOREVER.

What I meant is kinda tweaking the game so that all of the ships speeds are reduced proportionately and mandatorily. So that I won't be crawling along while some AI figthter zooms by me like a rocket. Is that possible in GBSII?

quote:

er dont take this as a wishlist or anything more of a er.. "gameplay modification" im sure you know it's allmost impossible to hit another fighter with your pta systems, maybe in xp1 you could give the fighter a difreant type of main weapon to give players more of a incentive to play that carrer.

Or maybe make the pta systems autotrack it's target when your closer then 20 clicks, so when you fire the computer aims for you since it's extremely hard to stay that close to an enamy fighter since they move so quick.

Are you talking about fighter versus capital ship? If yes then I don't know why your PTA systems aren't able to track/destroy fighters. Mine chew them up in 30 seconds.

But what I think you are talking about is fighter vs. fighter combat, and if that's the case then yes you are right. It is a bit difficult.

Yes fighter vs fighter, is the only part of the game I dont play, because I cant hit the other fighters, yeah I know you can use missles but theres no tactics in that you just fire and hope the ai doesnt jam it.

My CC's iod systems track fighters, but the auestorm has a AWSOME pta system, try it go just keep the fighter in the target recticle and it's toast.

I can toast a medium fighter under 5 seconds with a sunflash

quote:

Yes fighter vs fighter, is the only part of the game I dont play, because I cant hit the other fighters, yeah I know you can use missles but theres no tactics in that you just fire and hope the ai doesnt jam it.

I love to play fighters, but never against other fighters. It's too hard to hit them with guns, even on a head on. Missiles are good but there are usually more fighters than missiles in your fighter's weapon pod.. and they jam half of them. I only go against cap ships and SFM

quote:

The fact that alla ships are fast as hell compared to Freespace 2, you have the impression that everything is bigger in FS2. Most of the command ship's speed are around 20-30 m/s. Cut the speeds in BCM by 10 or more and the manoeuvrability og everything by 3 and you will have a better "feel" of sizes.. but I'm not sure you would enjoy BCM as much, since just going from the hyperspace exit point and a starstation would take... an eternity!

Exactly! In fact, once the GBS-II system is out, you can do just that by changing all the dynamics paramaters for crafts (in the OBJDEFS.SCR file).

[ 03-08-2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Rubbish. The PTA system IS auto-tracking (you obviously don't know how it works) and that is how it was designed. Are you kidding me?

The reason SMALL targets (e.g. fighters) are hard to hit, is because (a) they are FAST (B) they are highly manoeverable © they are sometimes SMALLER than the beams fired from the PTA and are likely to not register as a hit; especially if the fighter is manoevering very fast.

quote:

What I meant is kinda tweaking the game so that all of the ships speeds are reduced proportionately and mandatorily. So that I won't be crawling along while some AI figthter zooms by me like a rocket. Is that possible in GBSII?

NPC fighters use the same speeds as you do. All those stats come from the same file (OBJDEFS.SCR).

[ 03-08-2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

My CC's iod systems track fighters, but the auestorm has a AWSOME pta system, try it go just keep the fighter in the target recticle and it's toast.

Rubbish. The PTA system has NOTHING to do with the gun reticle. It doesn't use it. The PTA system tracks targets based on (a) distance (B) type © threat assessment (d) coverage (e) if its in the target array.

Do a search for PTA on the forum and you will find an extensive discussion on it. Do a search for array as well.

quote:

quote:

Rubbish. The PTA system has NOTHING to do with the gun reticle. It doesn't use it. The PTA system tracks targets based on (a) distance (B) type © threat assessment (d) coverage (e) if its in the target array.

Do a search for PTA on the forum and you will find an extensive discussion on it. Do a search for array as well.

Well if you stay close to the fighter it will be the closest target and they (the pta turrets) will shot on it... at least that how it looks like.

Try this. With a sunflash, keep a fighter near the top of the screen, centered horizontally, and you'll be roasting them in no time, having 4 dual turret arrays firing on the same target

quote:

Well if you stay close to the fighter it will be the closest target and they (the pta turrets) will shot on it... at least that how it looks like.

Try this. With a sunflash, keep a fighter near the top of the screen, centered horizontally, and you'll be roasting them in no time, having 4 dual turret arrays firing on the same target

...and what does this tactic have to do with the gun reticle? Or did you NOT read WHAT I wrote?

It has NOTHING to do with it. Period.

And just because a target is within range, doesn't mean the PTA system will assign a turret to it. There are other factors involved. e.g. the array could already be filled with friendly targets (used for FFA) and until it flushes it, there may NOT be room for another target; hostile or not, close or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

Just a question the PTA system looks like it has more then just one turret so in XP 1 would it be possible to have a setting so the PTA system would track 2 or more fighters or does it do that and ive just not noticed? OH and as for the graphics of XP1 they look great maybe people wont complain about the graphics but are there going to be things to look at in the backround as well? *Cant wait to see the reviews of xp1 and xp2*

Have you NOT been paying attention to what I've been writing?

To start with, go RTFM before you enter any conversation related to the PTA system.

And one more off-topic wish list item in this thread will get you roasted to a fine crisp. Stick with the rules and you'll be fine.

quote:

...and what does this tactic have to do with the gun reticle? Or did you NOT read WHAT I wrote?

No, all I meant is that with luck and little knowledge (and also a good ship) you can roast fighters and cap-ships with pta in no time. No big deal.

quote:

quote:

No, all I meant is that with luck and little knowledge (and also a good ship) you can roast fighters and cap-ships with pta in no time. No big deal.

In other words, you didn't add anything new; because thats what the PTA was designed to do. siddown

quote:

quote:

quote:

In other words, you didn't add anything new; because thats what the PTA was designed to do. siddown
Well it's still cool