BCG Sneak Peak (was BCM XP1)

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, still tweaking the lighting and materials, but here is another batch of in-game shots (1.85 MB) (still using the revised XP1 graphics engine) you might want to look at.

The 52_old.jpg shot just shows you the difference between the current BCM planet (without specular and materials) and the XP1 planet _52.png which has both.

Note the lighting on the station too.

Still got a lot of tweaking to do, but the end results of the XP1 graphics overhaul are going to be spectacular indeed.

[ 03-10-2002, 11:11: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hmm well the station looks great, but the planet.. well... a planet doesn't "shine" like that... I must guess you just wanted to show what you could do, and that's great.

I don't expect you to get it. I'll let someone else explain it.

Will there be "atmospheric effect" on planets in xp1? and I noticed you didn't included the highg-poly count planet in the shot... how much of a difference will it make, including the high-res planetary texture?

Thats not the high-poly version of Mars (I only use Earth for that test). I deliberaly used the low poly BCM version in order to show the differences between old and new wrt lighting not texturing. Wasn't that obvious?

If you don't know how much difference it would make, wait until you get a system that can keep up with it.

Also, will the external planetary texture will match the general look of the planet? (I've seen planets with a blue and grey external texture look like mars on the surface)

Thats how it works. It works as designed and there's nothing to change. Learn the difference between topology, atmosphere and orbital POR (plane of reference) and you'll know how it is designed.

The reason you see planets with 'Mars' type topology is because that is one of the terraforming templates. e.g. you also have Earth-like planets e.g. Varan's second moon has a Mars-like topology (PTE2PTEdefs.ini #4404), while the first moon has a moon-like (Earth's moon) type topology and definition.

Look in PTE2PTEtypes.ini and you'll see all the templates I have defined.

[ 03-10-2002, 13:54: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Wow, is that what it's going to look like in-game?

Yep. Remember, all our tools are using the game's same graphics engine.

Anyway, I will upload some in game shots later this week; once I get some fighters.

I've got Andrei working on an in game AVI movie capture module which I will incorporate into the XP1 code base. This will make it easier for me to capture in game footage without having to pipe it out through a vid capture board. This way, those bastards who keep accusing me of rubbish, can go find something else to wank to. As soon as we get that going, I'll be able to release movie footage as development progresses. Static shots don't do justice to these graphics enhancements. Trust me on this.

[ 03-12-2002, 12:07: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Whoa! Thats the first time a graphical picture (Short of Hentai) ever gave me a chubby. I want it. I want it now. Thats MY baby. Nobody else in ORION is getting one. EVER.

Kudos.

quote:

This Firestorm gives you an idea of the level of detail you are going to see in XP1 - along with all the other nice graphics stuff.

Well, what can I say? I'm speechless...the detail level is way too cool!

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Ok, That Firestorm is very nice and all,but it only makes me think one thing ( and I think the poll is showing that I have some support in this statement)

Where is the new Megaron?

MEGARON !!

MEGARON !!

MEGARON !!

MEGARON !!

My turn now

Ok, That Firestorm is very nice and all,but it only makes me think one thing ( and I think the poll is showing that I have some support in this statement)

Where is the new Sunflash?

SUNFLASH !!

SUNFLASH !!

SUNFLASH !!

SUNFLASH !!

These should definitely put hair on your nipples

Note the high resolution planet mesh and texture map; as well as the newer smoother Zenstar fighter (part of the Firestorm complement)

It's getting there. 'nuff said

[ 03-13-2002, 16:21: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

These should definitely put hair on your nipples

Note the high resolution planet mesh and texture map; as well as the newer smoother Zenstar fighter (part of the Firestorm complement)

It's getting there. 'nuff said

Indeed! Pic #30 says it all for me. You have to be proud of this product!