BCG Sneak Peak (was BCM XP1)

Supreme Cmdr

Well, I have to admit that realism adds a lot to a game, but after a point itÔÇÖs just too much of a learning curve. If youÔÇÖve ever heard of terminus then you know what I mean, the game has very realistic physics and craft customization and such not, but it takes a good while to get used to. If you were to try to learn to command a cap ship while simultaneously trying to master realistic physics it would be just too much.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon Lady,

I just wanted to let you know that the other "realism issues" you mention in your post were in fact discussed (and disregarded ) long time ago.

Sometimes I feel I have a duty, as the resident physicist in this gang, to give advice here and there on what's "realistic" in a SciFi title like this and what's not. Then, of course, it always gets thrown away for the sake of "playability" . And to be honest I'm totally fine with that, after all if we got into gaming it's to be able to scape from reality every now and then.

Man, I'm such a nerd

quote:

Originally posted by Dragon Lady:

Well, I have to admit that realism adds a lot to a game, but after a point itÔÇÖs just too much of a learning curve. If youÔÇÖve ever heard of terminus then you know what I mean, the game has very realistic physics and craft customization and such not, but it takes a good while to get used to. If you were to try to learn to command a cap ship while simultaneously trying to master realistic physics it would be just too much.

Well of course if realism cuts too much the fun of the game, then it's not worth it. Afterall, it's only a game

Now all we need are some critters. A nice velociraptor to chase your pansy marine butt around when planetside... an acid dripping overgrown insect to french kiss you when in space... and yes, Resnig!

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Now all we need are some critters. A nice velociraptor to chase your pansy marine butt around when planetside... an acid dripping overgrown insect to french kiss you when in space... and yes, Resnig!

I dunno about raptors though, but there are a lot of plant, sea and wildlife in the next BC title.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

What i meant by improving his AI is to stop making him do stupid things, like jamming a FPI-PSU into a missile slot, or calling the marine with 5% LF remaining to battle intruders.

1. Read what I wrote again. SLOWLY

2. Read the VCF

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Hector Socas Navarro:

Ok, I can't help it. I'm a nerd but ...

in space you wouldn't see the beam of a spotlight. On earth you can see it because the particles in the air scatter the light away from the main beam and into your line of sight.

I'm such a nerd...

Maybe I'm more of a nerd, because you're fogetting something. Light is both energy and a particle, and being such, has a weird effect. Depending on the strength of ambient light sources, such as stars, planets, etc., gravitational effects, and local space dust, you might be able to see a spotlight's residual effect from a distance.

Unlike a laser, a spotlight dissapates in a cone-shape, which means it's still a normal soruce of light. The output of the beam, it's focus, and local obsticles are considerations in determining effective range. You would only see its residual essense if viewed from the side, severely limiting how far you could actually see it (which would be short indeed.)

A laser (for the uninitiated, stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation), on the other hand, is an extremely focused beam of light, which remains more or less constant throughout the range of the beam (which is mostly determined by wattage output.) In theory, a laser would never dissapate, but since it's still a light source, it's affected by things like gravity, dust (which can dissapte it), matter in the way, etc.

Being both energy and particle makes it hard to explain light in normal terms, as per Einsteinian physics, this isn't possible. Explain that to light...

Guest MIKE113
Originally posted by Or:

I thought light acts like a particle and a wave but consists of pure energy.[/quote

Light acts at times like a particle and at other times like a wave, but all light visible or not is just Electromagnetic energy.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr_ Laracuente:

SC, how many types of stations do you plan to be available on BCG?

I think I already answered this in this same topic thread. There are only three new station types in BCG.