• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Can I ask what the AVI(s) shows?

*innocent look*

Nothing major really. Eric did an AVI showing off the new character animations. And Jason and I did the same using one of the newer stations showing off the materials etc. These were done because static images really don't convey the impact of the new assets.

I've been tinkering with engine material properties (shine, rust etc). Here is that same station with different lighting and materials (no light maps) etc

In one of the shots, you'll see me flying around inside one of the platforms in an upper level area. Note that I parked my Warmonger outside.

In multiplayer, hanging around stations in fp mode is going to be the norm. Kinda like hanging out in a lobby. Thats why the new stations are being designed as sprawling structures. The existing 11 station types in BCM also allow this, but they are too compact, if you know what I mean.

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo022.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo024.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo025.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo027.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo028.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo029.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo030.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo031.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo032.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo033.jpg

www.3000ad.com/pics/bcmxp/xp1/photo034.jpg

heh, guess who that circled Red speck in #32 is

[ 02-13-2002, 18:51: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Damn it's friggin' huge and nice!

heh, just wait till the materials and lighting are down pat. Its hard to light such a large model properly; especially since the materials will get further lit by the surrounding skybox (hence the brighter Golden hue in the first prototype shots). A station out in space shouldn't look nice and clean; as if it just stepped off the assembly line. Which is what it looked like in those first proto shots.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

A station out in space shouldn't look nice and clean; as if it just stepped off the assembly line.

That is exactly what happens when you don't pay your council tax. How can the government clean the space stations when most of your money is hidden away in your Gamulan Bank Account.

The station looks beautiful by the way.

[ 02-14-2002, 15:14: Message edited by: Fendi ]

quote:

In multiplayer, hanging around stations in fp mode is going to be the norm. Kinda like hanging out in a lobby. Thats why the new stations are being designed as sprawling structures. The existing 11 station types in BCM also allow this, but they are too compact, if you know what I mean.

Having walked across the "arms" of Pixan station (post capture of course) from one end to the other, compact is the last word I would use to describe the current stations! Huge yes, compact no. As to the new station, immense, expansive, and enormous come quickly to mind.

[ 02-14-2002, 15:51: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Having walked across the "arms" of Pixan station (post capture of course) from one end to the other, compact is the last word I would use to describe the current stations! Huge yes, compact no. As to the new station, immense, expansive, and enormous come quickly to mind.

True. I suppose compact is the wrong word. My design specs to Jason indicates that these stations would be massive cityscape like. Of course, that type9 station doesn't quite fit that specification, but you'll see the others once they are done.

By cityscape, I mean with different areas, levels, nooks and crannies etc. Since you can't yet go inside them, the best you can do is hide in the external structures. Of just park your craft close by, fly over to one of the arms on Pixan and either have a beer or lob LR12 rockets at passersby.

I have decided that when I sell this house, or Monkey on my back as I like to say, I am upgrading my computer, and the wife's, but mine is gonna be one whoopass gaming beast.

XP-1 is gonna bring this poor thing to it's knees, so gotta do it, it's the prudent course to take!! Little Bush sr jargon there!!

Guest rtoolooze

Jaguar, I wish I could just give you the money for a new computer, hey wait, over on the voodoo extreme forums I am Derek Smart, so, that being the case, S.C., can't I just give 'Ol Jaguar some of your, err, I mean some of "our" money?

I did'nt think so. I tried Jaguar.

heh, I don't even know why you folks bother with those gits. I just took a peek and just ended up smiling to myself.

Milo, who seems to be making a habit of attacking me on the Usenet (I banned him from here), is in the fray. As for him, it just goes to show how far a jealous (?) person (and one without matching talent) can go. He did the same thing over on the QT3 forums a few weeks ago. Naturally, everyone ignored him.

And just to demonstrate how clueless he his, read his most recent post (in which he talks about lighting etc). Thats just a clear example of someone not knowing what they're talking about (fullscene anti-aliasing. LOL!!! yeah, like I'm not going to let the video driver handle that) - especially since I clearly mention in here, about the differences between those shots (w/materials, ambient light etc, vs without, due to tweaking etc).

And I see Herbert is still up to his old tricks again. This time he's yammering about trees - which - incidentally, ARE in the game (I just recently showed the Beta guys how to use them) but weren't implemented (auto-generated and positioned based on terrain type) because I didn't have time to do the DB. As if trees are about gameplay. Or is BCM the only game that has cut something that was deemed very low priority. Go figure.

All I can say is, lets sit back and relax. The tech demo is coming - which I think will better convey what we're doing, more than anything an AVI could do.

[ 02-15-2002, 09:17: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

...And I see Herbert is still up to his old tricks again. This time he's yammering about trees - which - incidentally, ARE in the game (I just recently showed the Beta guys how to use them) but weren't implemented (auto-generated and positioned based on terrain type) because I didn't have time to do the DB...

Yeah, trees are nice touch, now that I know how to implement them in the game, I think I'll include them in the Prime Fleets Wargames mission 2 .

quote:

And I see Herbert is still up to his old tricks again.

Every time that guy posts it just puts a smile to my face. To me, he will forever be known as Shirley, not Fabio, not Herbert but Shirley. I've sorta given up on attacking him as its getting rather monotomous now. Who's gonna be Shirley's new sparring partner now?

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

quote:

And I see Herbert is still up to his old tricks again.

Every time that guy posts it just puts a smile to my face. To me, he will forever be known as Shirley, not Fabio, not Herbert but Shirley. I've sorta given up on attacking him as its getting rather monotomous now. Who's gonna be Shirley's new sparring partner now?

LOL! Not me!

**** IT ALL!!

I GET BUSY FOR A FEW MONTHS, FORGET TO CHECK THE FORUMS FOR A WHILE AND YOU GUYS REBUILD THE UNIVERSE AGAIN!!!!

SC, have mercy on me!! I've got a job!

I've got a life!

If you make this game, I'll lose both!!!

..MUST...RESIST....COMPLETELY IMMERSIVE... GAMING EXPERIENCE..... ARRRGGGGGHHHHH.

Seriously, nobody probably remembers me, but I've posted on and off. It's great to see the new stuff. That is definintely the best looking bump mapped starship I've ever seen. Hats off!!

quote:

Originally posted by Rosko:

I'd help you with you're probs man, but you're in with the addicts just like you're self:) If you want out, I think there is a separate forum for that called "BC addict anonymous" WE ARE WEAK

Don't tell that! BCM helps you have a better health! When i play it i even forget to smoke!!!

*And this is why my woman secretly loves SC, she hates cigarettes smoke!* ROFTLMAO!!!!!

quote:

quote:

one of those space cites you mentioned in the XP feature list??

That remonds me.. will we be able to drive ATV's on those space cities?

(w00t 100th posting in this thread!)

I don't see why not. It depends on how Jason designs them.