Discussion - Ship System Upgrades

Supreme Cmdr

Right now, you can upgrade your ship's engine, reactor, shield, armor as well as the main gun using an artifact.

What kind of ship system upgrades would you like to see in XP1 and how many?

What kind of new weapon systems (and missile types) would you like to see?

Discuss

And for you newbies, the rules are simple : do not go off-topic and post anything that is over-the-top and doesn't fit within the game's premise.

[ 03-26-2002, 07:28: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

2. Ship upgrades .. eem that you can add more turrets on the ship itself

3. Ship upgrade ... landing gear

Those are not system upgrades. Please READ my post again.

1. upgrades to guns that would make them useful for dogfighting

-faster recharge time

-longer range

-better targeting computer? or an upgrade that extends computed range?

-upgraded pta system, longer range, faster and more damage

-upgrade to reduce power consumption

2. more diverse missles

-super fast low damage missle

-missle that temporarily dissables target instead of damage

-upgrade to the cc's missle racks? such as faster launch or multiple missle launches from a single tube

3. new weapon systems

-emd device that effects systems other then enemy targeting systems

-new types of mines, such as a cloaking mine, dissable systems mine, or anti fighter/missle mine (a mine useful for midcombat?)

Upgrade for fighters would be nice (hope this is still on topic since the title doesnt say what type of ship).

Right now, you can beef up all the specs of the existing upgrade and call them something else, but you can only go so far with that before it becomes too extreme. Giving the systems new abilitys would add more variation I think. For example.. a reactor that runs on a diffrent fuel.. which requires small amounts to power it, and gives off more energy.

If your looking for a diffrent type of system to upgrade. You could make the solar reactor store a charge for emergency use. Or just make the solar reactor more efficent with diffrent upgrades.

Weapons (guns) is always a good one to upgrade (better turrets, ot better main gun)

Just changing the specs per upgrade is a simple idea since its just a variation of the existing specs of the ship.

What aspect of upgrading where you thinking about SC?

Variations of existing upgrades?

Upgrades for things that currenty not upgradable?

I dont want to stray too far off topic by sugesting things that you didnt ask for.

FATAL System Upgrade that allows FATAL to track and destroy incoming missles. (anti-missle missles?)

Cloaking System upgrade that reduces the consumption rate of Iridium.

An upgrade(?) that allows a temporary increase in the bridge crew's ai levels would be nice. This would have the same effect as upgrading computers to perform various functions.

Weapon system Upgrades would be good. Stronger PTA and Main Gun turrets as upgrades.

I would like to see a missile that can lock onto a ship that is cloaked, and temporarily disable the cloak field. That would be cool.

Not sure what I'd want upgraded, but I'd certainly like to see some cruiser specific upgrades, so that we cruiser lovers can get some nice goodies in trade off for fighters we don't have.

One upgrade I have thought about a few times, (artifact type?), would be an 'emergency exit' device. One that removes your ship to some 'safe' sector should you become too damaged.

A PTA upgrade sounds nice, too, since someone mentioned it. Same with guns.

And fighter upgrades really strike me as a good idea, (someday I'll fly a carrier again...really!). I haven't played with a carrier in a while, but that used to trouble me before. Fighters could really use a few sweet upgrades...

Idaho

Guest Grayfox

how about a skipper missle? a missle that cloaks, then pops out of cloak long enough to verify target then cloaks again.

that would be cool to use, and provide a challenge to try and destroy hehe. maybe reduce the EMD efficiency of the CC's? cause as of yet, ive never been hit by an incoming missle. i hear the aquire beeps that one is locked onto me, but when i throw on EMD it shakes it everytime.

also maybe a crew quarter upgrade. something that allows crew fatigue and LF status to regenerate faster than is current.

[ 03-26-2002, 13:26: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

low-power mass driver (artifact), kinda like an Bugnor OTS but as a gun. u have to have a marine on the surface to paint the target with a laser designator, or to plant a beacon. that way it makes it harder to use, and u have to chance to shot at by STO missiles cause ur in low orbit. and the power drain would require a lot of systems to be shut down during firing

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

Upgrade for fighters would be nice (hope this is still on topic since the title doesnt say what type of ship).

That will not be supported. System upgrades are for capital ships only.

New missiles, turret profiles etc are of course global

quote:

What aspect of upgrading where you thinking about SC?

Variations of existing upgrades?

Upgrades for things that currenty not upgradable?

I dont want to stray too far off topic by sugesting things that you didnt ask for

Something like that, yes

[ 03-26-2002, 17:37: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

An upgrade(?) that allows a temporary increase in the bridge crew's ai levels would be nice. This would have the same effect as upgrading computers to perform various functions.

Lets try this again

I SAID SYSTEM/WEAPONS UPGRADES!!

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

Instead of just seeing Fighter asset in tradecom, I would like to be able to buy the fighters of my choice...

1. Thats not a system nor weapons upgrade

2. That will not be allowed. Whatever assets the carrier has, thats what it will only use. The asset listed in Tradcom are linked according to your primary CC asset. This will not change.

[ 03-26-2002, 17:41: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

also maybe a crew quarter upgrade. something that allows crew fatigue and LF status to regenerate faster than is current.

Hehe... Bathroom upgrades with fuzzy toilet seats! lol.

I like the idea with energy weapons with a large blast (or pulse, if you wanna get technical) radius. You know, disable cloaking/emd, other electronic systems. Would make it kinda interesting.

Well since you asked:

This is something that I discussed with Gallion and I can see you might have been looking at an aspect of it by looking at the VCF.

quote:

Mr. Gallion

I just had a couple of Items that I was wondering about. If you are to busy to answer these questions, I understand.

Has there ever been any discussion between the SC and the Beta group about doing something more with the Power Allocation screen in the game? When I'm playing, I usually power down the non-essential systems. Thus I usually have some extra power points to play with.....but there is nothing to do with them.

I think it would deepen the tactical options if you could reroute that extra power to other ships systems. ie,

"Commander, shields down to 30%"

"reroute power from launch control to the shields"

"aye, Sir"

It would enrich the gameplay IMHO, to be able to slightly alter certain ship parameters through the re-allocation of power resources....such as shield,weapon, and HJ recharge rates, and maybe IOD and PTA strength, or Afterburner speed.

I know that many of you have probably thought of this.....just wondered if it was ever seriously discussed.

One other thing, any discussion of a method of allowing the Commander to update ( I would Imagine at great cost) the genetic material and Brain engram samples for the cloning module so that your Ace pilot doesn't came back as the Rain man?

Thank you for you time [[smile]]

--------------------

Commander Brion McGregor

GCV-STORMDRAGON

WRAITH FLEET/SOG

Hard,Fast,Furious ... FIRST !

system profile info

Also some kind of "Spinal mounted" really heavy weapon like a mass driver would be nice.

a heavy missile or "torpedo" would be good or perhaps a modified or "Heavy" weapons pod that allowed you to carry and fire a couple of those SDM's would be cool.

I've got two to add:

1.) A hyperspace engine that allows short combat jumps (aka the Picard Manuever).

2.) A tractor beam upgrade that can be used without lowering your shields (seize a ship in combat and pound it!)

1. PTA upgrades.. Like small, fast dumbfire msl's or rapid fire pulse things. (like the PTA fire in BC3000ad except smaller)Then there could be a more powerful beam-type PTA or types designed specifically to take out shields. (ie: rips up shields but not too effective vs armor) It would be nice to upgrade each one too-- like turret 1 has beam weapons, T2 has rapid fire pulse things ect.

2. Large missiles designed to take down large ships and space stations.(ie: NOT fighters)

3. Bigger and better IOD (if I ever want to be a space pirate in MP and BCO then im going to need some intimidating weapons)

Now just to balance stuff out with all of these new upgrades that might be in the future games artifacts need to be super-powerful-- and super expensive .

I think I thought of a decent cruiser (small heavy cruiser only?) artifact. Something to block boarders, since you've only got 5 marines to deal with them. (Okay, I'm guessing everyone might want that for all ships, but I'm thinking it's one that is MOST useful on a small cruiser/any small ship with few onboard defenders)

Alas for all the souls of all the crewmembers I've had to bury. Curse those intruders!

Idaho

Just some thoughts that came to my head within the first 5 minutes of seeing this topic.

Upgrades like those seen in the origional Privateer and Privateer: Righteous Fire such as Shields, Reactor, weapons, engine (both normal and hyperspace), afterburners, navagational equiptment, etc. These are all previously listed by other people.

Number of upgrades, the more the better.

Weapon types: various beam and pulse weapons each with seperate damage ratings, firing rates, ranges, and energy required to fire. All based on price of upgrade. Need some kind of EMP missile that explodes into a shockwave

Could have some weapons have different damage ratings on shields and armor. Example: One gun can really take down some shields but can't penatrate armor. Another gun is the opposite, can't go through shields but can rip through armor.

[ 03-27-2002, 03:41: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

Similar to what Antaren and Greg Miller said.

1) Some type of anti-fighter missle, much faster with light damage, ineffective against capital ships.

2) Some type of missle that aids in combating cloaked ships. Not that it would have to do any type of damage but maybe when it exploded it would give off some sort of illumination or reaction with the radiation emitted from a cloaked ship. The result would be to reveal any and all (even friendly ships, requiring careful more strategic use) cloaked ships within a certain range, for a limited period of time. Kind of like giving a sub hunting role/capability to some of the cruisers that are not that well used to date. Maybe this could be a weapon in itself only mounted on the smallest of ships so as to make them more appealing to play and add to their support role in fleet actions or base defence.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

Lets try this again

I SAID SYSTEM/WEAPONS UPGRADES!!

Translate that to COMPUTER system upgrades then.