Discussion - Ship System Upgrades

Supreme Cmdr

Here's a modification of Duncan Idaho's idea.

Instead of a blocker how about ceiling / wall mounted or small mobile robot gun systems. That would tie in nicely with the current perscan capability that tracks intruders. You could have an upgrade path that could either increase the systems effectiveness or number deployed or areas protected. Protection provided shouldn't be absolute so boarders should be able to take out guns as they take out marines. Friendly fire should be included to complicate the issue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about ATS rockets ? We could buy them in pods of, say, 10 ? They would be more powerful than the main guns, providing an effective way to take out buildings or things like that.

Also, a missile with an hyperdrive that could pursue targets in hyperspace and hit them when they come back to normal space would be quite fun ( and useful ).

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Well since you asked:

No, I didn't ask for that. What you described is a feature that will most definitely not be implemented. And there is already power allocation in Logistix. It works as designed. And will not be changed.

The next person to post a wishlist item that is not in line with this thread, is going to be in a world o' hurt.

quote:

and I can see you might have been looking at an aspect of it by looking at the VCF.

Rubbish. Show me the VCF entry in question.

[ 03-27-2002, 12:42: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

I think I thought of a decent cruiser (small heavy cruiser only?) artifact. Something to block boarders, since you've only got 5 marines to deal with them. (Okay, I'm guessing everyone might want that for all ships, but I'm thinking it's one that is MOST useful on a small cruiser/any small ship with few onboard defenders)

Alas for all the souls of all the crewmembers I've had to bury. Curse those intruders!

Idaho

You mean like a device which prevents intruders from accessing your transporting frequencies and thus prevents a boarding party?

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

Translate that to COMPUTER system upgrades then.

No. I'm not translating anything - because it STILL doesn't fit the criteria. YOU go back and READ the FIRST post in this thread, as well as the others I have not flagged as being inappropriate - and fall in line. Either that or quit posting in this thread.

quote:

Originally posted by Joaquin:

Here's a modification of Duncan Idaho's idea.

Instead of a blocker how about ceiling / wall mounted or small mobile robot gun systems. That would tie in nicely with the current perscan capability that tracks intruders. You could have an upgrade path that could either increase the systems effectiveness or number deployed or areas protected. Protection provided shouldn't be absolute so boarders should be able to take out guns as they take out marines. Friendly fire should be included to complicate the issue.

No. That does not fit with the criteria of this thread. And besides, Perscan works as designed and I see no need for another monitoring device.

FYI, If I don't respond to a post, it means that

1. It is in line with the thread

2. It contains one or more items which will be considered or which are worth considering

Once I close this discussion thread in a week or so, I will publish the suggestions that I will take into account, in conjunction with my own ideas.

[ 03-27-2002, 12:49: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

A couple other thoughts:

Weren't you going to have a shield that is a sphere around a ship and other ships can get inside of this projected sphere so it can also shield them?

What about a projectile gun that uses ammo for a ships main weapon? Since these are physical shots not energy blast, they would impact on the object you are firing on therefore perhaps bypassing its shields. Could have a rapid fire rate like a machine gun and really eat up ammo, but have a very short range and each individual shot does not do much damage. Since it is not an energy weapon, it could be used efficiently when the reactor is badly damaged.

[ 03-27-2002, 14:16: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

Same idea as Antaren only..

Youl shouldnt be able to upgrade all systems with all upgrades and become uber.

-Longer range upgrade, but lose rate of fire. (due to additional targeting time lets say)

-Faster rate of fire, lose fire power.

-More fire power, lose range.. something like that

and so you'd be able to use 1-3 upgrades at a time. (out of 5,6,8 as many as there may be, so you wont become uber, but upgrade ship to your fighting style.)

So if u meet 2 same ships they may not be same at all.

Upgrades like this would be nice for turrets too

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

A couple other thoughts:

Weren't you going to have a shield that is a sphere around a ship and other ships can get inside of this projected sphere so it can also shield them?

Yes, but I've killed that idea. If its not in the XP1 proposed feature list, its not on my radar.

I am however doing a different type of shield for XP1. This works like the ST type shield but can be breached depending on where it was hit. e.g. if you get hit from the rear, then the shield coverage in that arc, is lesser than, say, from the front shields.

I am also including an auto-modulation device for shields. What this does is evenly distribute shield strengths so that no part of the ship is more vulnerable to penetration than another.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You mean like a device which prevents intruders from accessing your transporting frequencies and thus prevents a boarding party?[/QB]

SC,

Yes, something along those lines.

Not sure how to justify it only working on smaller ships, if that part of the idea had merit.

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I am however doing a different type of shield for XP1. This works like the ST type shield but can be breached depending on where it was hit. e.g. if you get hit from the rear, then the shield coverage in that arc, is lesser than, say, from the front shields.

I am also including an auto-modulation device for shields. What this does is evenly distribute shield strengths so that no part of the ship is more vulnerable to penetration than another.[/QB]

I like the sound of both of these.

Would that extend as far as being able to increase power or allocation to one shield surface...(i.e. redirect power to front shields to ready for a frontal assault)?

Idaho

Idaho

My 2 cents!!

1. What about a new ship engine upgrade that provides a faster recharge rate but slower jump transit time or vice versa.

2. A more powerful reactor but if overused or breached will cause a higher radiation.

3. Armor that works better against specific weapons i.e. better laser resistance or better missile resistance.

That's all I can think of for now.

systems:

a bridgeviewer upgrade to one with zoom capability (for more accuracy with your main guns and sheer coolness factor )

a transporter upgrade that allows you to beam two teams of five to two different beam-in points at once instead of all 10 to the same place, for more tactical options.

Weapons:

multiple warhead missiles (can attack multiple pre-designated ground targets in close proximity to each other)

cluster warhead bombs/missiles (destroy all non-hardened targets (vehicles/personnel/conventional buildings) within a certain area.

I guess extra troop quarters at the cost of cargo space would be a no-no in capital ships.

just my 0.02,

Guest MIKE113

How about an Weapons Pod upgrade. After upgrading your ship would be able to carry 2 Widow missiles?

OH YEAH!....125 mile range, 2500 blast energy!..

[ 03-29-2002, 17:27: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

Hmm, just from scanning the posts, I havent seen anything along these lines:

How about a PTA system upgrade which makes your PTA system produce slightly shorter range but shotgun pattern like fire? Probably should do less damage per hit, but be more effective against fighters?

I've got a question along these lines.

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What aspect of upgrading where you thinking about SC?

Variations of existing upgrades?

Upgrades for things that currenty not upgradable?

I dont want to stray too far off topic by sugesting things that you didnt ask for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that, yes

How about upgrades that combine the features of two already available systems?

I've got a few suggestions and comments of my own.

1. I really like the idea of a cloaking device that produces less radiation, but chews up more iridium.

2. New missiles would definitely be a plus. The ideas I liked the most are for Weapons Bay upgrades that would allow for multiple launches, or faster launch times, and high speed low damage missile combined with FATAL that could deal with incoming fighters.

3. EMD missile. That way you could jam incoming missiles without losing the ability to shoot at hostiles yourself. A heavy missile with 750+ damage would also make for a much more threatening combat environment.

4. A reactor upgrade that could generate over 100 units of power, but would use more Radine, and have a higher chance of catastrophic failure (blow up the ship) if severely damaged.

5. An upgraded transporter that can hold more personnel.

6. Tactical Computer upgrade that would allow the CC to target and engage incoming missiles either with PTA or FATAL system.

7. An upgraded hyperdrive that would allow for long distance jumps (6+ regions) but would take a long time to recharge. Normal hyperspace travel would be unaffected by the upgrade. This would allow for surprise attacks behind enemy lines, but if it went bad retreat would be extremely difficult.

8. An artifact that would prohibit hyperspace travel within a certain radius of the CC (i.e., 500km's).

9. An upgraded cloning module that would allow for faster cloning times. Being without your CE in a bad situation can be a real pain.

10. An upgrade for the FC/SC/OC chargers for faster recharging time.

11. Airlock upgrade that would allow Resnig to be ejected from the CC more quickly.

Just my 0.02 credits.

[ 04-02-2002, 16:43: Message edited by: Ben Somerset ]

I will comment:

Different cloaking devices; you can upgrade them like shields, reactor, etc. rather than requiring an artifact

Perhaps a way to upgrade your support craft...

A way to upgrade your PTA turrets, perhaps?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

PTA system upgrade - longer range more damage more accourate

EMP missles - disables target

Mini nuke missles - effective againts stations cant hit fighters/carriers/cruisers to slow

Hyper drive engine upgrade - higher top speed shorter recharge

Targeting computer upgrade - allows IOD system to track targets at long range

Hostile evirement armor upgrade - can land on hostile planets with out takeing damage

Ok,

1. How about an upgrade that combines passenger location capability of Perscan to locate intruders and the Transporter to beam out intruders. ( preferably spacing them )

2. An autoaiming IOD with programable targeting a la FATAL. Maintain the range it can traverse so it only fires forward.

3. Enhance mine so it becomes a "mini" towed defense system (TDS) with missiles and lasers that can be towed behind a transport ( after being launched by appropriate military spacecraft ) as a temporary defense measure. Power would deplete after set period of time and it would become useless or available for reload.

4. Enhance cargo scanning feature to report personnel on board target ship.

5. Combine transporter and cargo scanning feature to steal cargo from target ship directly to CC. Probably would have to add some type of game play balancing feature like requiring all of the cargo to be loaded and possibly an undetectable counter measure that would blow up when it materialized in the tranporter room to make it a risky proposition. Of course transporting from an alien ship could also transport radiation and biological contamination.

• 2 weeks later...

/rp

[raises hand and stands up]

Greetings, here's another couple of suggestions I thought that might be able to work.

1. Cloak = differnt cloaks with greater strength meaning that the closer you are to the ship the cloak gets weaker and can be tracked.

2. Radar = different ranges and strengths

With greater strength you can see cloaked ships from farther out.

I figure both these upgrades would be fun yet keep a balance in the game.

computer upgrades:

better computers can give better info in tacops

ie...

lvl 1 computer = types of objets but not sure if friend foe until closer (ties in w/radar).

lvl 2 computer = same as 1 but can tell from farther and can tell what type of object from ship(megaron to shuttle mk2).

that way info comming into your view would be varied and more limited until upgrades come in ;-)

weapons:

hmmm, weapons, how about different type of damage from weapons...

ie... plasma= more damage to shields than armor

gravity = more damage to armor than shields

tractor type weapon which will damage crew slowly but can't penetrate shields...

can't think of anything else yet but will raise hand again in future.

thanks for your time.

[sits down]

/rp

--------------------------------------------------

Commander Markus Janus

GCV Galileo

Prime Fleet, Galcom HQ

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see the radar upgrades coupled with the CVD. The CVD menu for cargo scans is x'd out when locked onto planets. Maybe an upgrade can give mineral scans or something to indicate where the good deposits are.

Or maybe upgrade the CVD to give more information about other ships, stations, and planetary bodies in the region.