Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

interesting, a little smaller than I expected, but it's a cool design

Sometimes I wonder if you even think before you post.

How can you tell its size from a concept shot - and without a frame of reference?

That unit is 15.28m H x 17.3m W x 36.71m L - and thats an assault force marine standing on the loading bay of this WIP model.

quote:

How can you tell its size from a concept shot - and without a frame of reference?

Yes, there IS a frame of reference.

The door

And the size you just said is exactly what I was thinking - too small. I would have expected 80 meters in lenght. Afterall, it's a base.

Rubbish

The door cannot be a frame of reference because, until I posted that second shot, you had no idea how big it really was.

And its a mobile base, you know, as in MOBILE FORWARD BASE. And by what criteria is there a reason for it being 80m high? Even the type 1 starbase building is only about 92m high.

I'm a modeler and I do and should know what I'm talking about.

quote:

quote:

And by what criteria is there a reason for it being 80m high?

I said lenght, not height.

Even so, there is no reason why a mobile base should be 80m in length. Unlike you, I didn't just pick a number out of a hat when providing the specs to the modeler.

quote:

I just didn't picked a random number - I tried to figure out what would make sense considering the task of the object, in this case a MFB. But then, our minds are not the same, so we won't come with the same results.

Really? So tell me, why does 80m make sense and not, say 50m or 100m or, well, 30m? What criteria are you using - if you're not picking a number out of a hat?

It's a mobile respawn and rearm point with a single turret right? That's not exactly a behemoth you know, 36m is plenty of length to put a power source, a turret, and some supply centers (like you find spattered around fixed bases). Maybe a cloning unit or transporter or whatever you like to explain away respawning with as well, but that's still not that large, even including the engine and wheels and such not. Besides, it has to fit in shuttles and the heavy gunship right? 80m is to long for that.

quote:

Originally posted by Dragon Lady:

It's a mobile respawn and rearm point with a single turret right? That's not exactly a behemoth you know, 36m is plenty of length to put a power source, a turret, and some supply centers (like you find spattered around fixed bases). Maybe a cloning unit or transporter or whatever you like to explain away respawning with as well, but that's still not that large, even including the engine and wheels and such not. Besides, it has to fit in shuttles and the heavy gunship right? 80m is to long for that.

Thank you

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

how fast would this mobile base go while on the move?

Dunno yet. I have yet to do the dynamics for it, but I don't expect anything faster than 75 mps. Since it, like some ground threat units in BCG, hovers above the ground, it is faster than if it were a vehicle that drives on the terrain.

And don't think that any yahoo can just run up to it and drive it around. Though each base will have one, unless you have the proper rank and EPs, you're not taking it anywhere. None of that Tribes2 of BF9142 unit bumrushing.

Anyway, the model is complete now and I'm going to put it into the game later this weekend.

Mobile Forward Base 1

Mobile Forward Base 2

Mobile Forward Base 3

So. . .you can load vechiles into the MFB, at least that one picture said rear vechile bay ( I Think , I'm almost blind right now) And then, there is something big enough to carry the MFB? That being the maurader (SP)? So how big is that?! This MFB this is huge , maybe bigger than the other gunship you've showed us! How much larger does the other one have to be to hold this thing! I can't wait for BCG

As usual, BC is like wine, the older the title gets, the better it gets...

[rp]

pilfers for more screen shots

*gggaammee ssccrreennnsshhootss.ccoomm nnnoottt eeenughhh*

[rp]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

how fast would this mobile base go while on the move?

Dunno yet. I have yet to do the dynamics for it, but I don't expect anything faster than 75 mps. Since it, like some ground threat units in BCG, hovers above the ground, it is faster than if it were a vehicle that drives on the terrain.

And don't think that any yahoo can just run up to it and drive it around. Though each base will have one, unless you have the proper rank and EPs, you're not taking it anywhere. None of that Tribes2 of BF9142 unit bumrushing.

Anyway, the model is complete now and I'm going to put it into the game later this weekend.

Mobile Forward Base 1

Mobile Forward Base 2

Mobile Forward Base 3

looks nice SC. On a side note, are there plans for multitexturing ( I think that is what it's called) on these units similar to the way the PTE2 ground works in BCM?

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

On a side note, are there plans for multitexturing ( I think that is what it's called) on these units similar to the way the PTE2 ground works in BCM?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Neither do you I don't think. The game engine supports MT since the first version of BCM.

So, what are you talking about?

Ok, I'll try to explain better.

yes, the engine supports MT but will it be used on the buildings and units such as that MFB so that at close viewing distances the textures won't appear as blurred, similar to how the MT on the terrain works.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Ok, I'll try to explain better.

yes, the engine supports MT but will it be used on the buildings and units such as that MFB so that at close viewing distances the textures won't appear as blurred, similar to how the MT on the terrain works.

Yes BCG supports detail texturing using shaders and multi-pass. So if your card supports it, yes.

Anyway, new MFB shots are here

In regards to EPS and Rank and things such as that, I have a question. Will it be possible on a fleet server for EPs and Rank to be either saved or edited by the server so that people will come into the game with their RP rank and EPs based on the fleet? This would also be nice in Fleet vs Fleet matchs where everyone already has a rank, they just wanna duke it out Then you wouldn't have to worry about some fool running up and jumping into that big daddy because you know and trust the people on your team/fleet.

Also when you say Tow I assume you mean they will use the tractor beam? If so would the base be destroyed if the shuttle was shot down while it was way high up in the air towing this baby ? I would hate to be inside when the tractor beam is damaged and the base goes tumbling towards the planet.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

In regards to EPS and Rank and things such as that, I have a question. Will it be possible on a fleet server for EPs and Rank to be either saved or edited by the server so that people will come into the game with their RP rank and EPs based on the fleet? This would also be nice in Fleet vs Fleet matchs where everyone already has a rank, they just wanna duke it out Then you wouldn't have to worry about some fool running up and jumping into that big daddy because you know and trust the people on your team/fleet.

If the server supports player stats saving, then yes.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

Also when you say Tow I assume you mean they will use the tractor beam? If so would the base be destroyed if the shuttle was shot down while it was way high up in the air towing this baby ? I would hate to be inside when the tractor beam is damaged and the base goes tumbling towards the planet. [/QB]

1. What does towing in a BC game mean?
  2. What happens when you drop a unit from a high altitude?

There's your answer