State Of Grace - The Next Big Thing

Supreme Cmdr

I was planning on doing a dev diary for BCG, but I simply don't have time. So, this is the short version.

Its coming along just fine

It has been officially delayed into Q4

The products page has been updated

The demo is on schedule for an end of September release - along with some screen shots and a major (!) announcement.

I need a new coffee maker

If you have any questions - which I can actually answer - post them here.

[ 09-23-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

If you have any questions - which I can actually answer - post them here.

I was wondering, does BCG have the same Multiplayer Engine as BCM/G (hence subject to the same issues) or is it designed around a completely different engine?

quote:

From the Products page:
NEW! 10 driveable naval units (ships, subs, LCACs etc)

Please confirm: submarines? With torpedoes? And a periscope?

Also, do you anticipate any changes in hardware/software requirements? Or can we buy our new system right now, using the specs on the Products page as a guideline?

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

This excites me even more. I wonder what it means though.

Here's a subtle hint. 'nuff said

photo650

photo651

photo652

photo653

photo654

photo655

photo656

photo657

photo658

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

I was wondering, does BCG have the same Multiplayer Engine as BCM/G (hence subject to the same issues) or is it designed around a completely different engine?

The BCG mp kernel is vastly different and it uses a different engine protocol.

I don't know what you mean by subject to the same issues, but if you mean in terms of the kernel, then the answer is yes. If you mean in terms of the engine used, then the answer is no.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

1 question - is BCO still planned?

Yes

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Please confirm:
submarines
? With torpedoes? And a periscope?

Also, do you anticipate any changes in hardware/software requirements? Or can we buy our new system right now, using the specs on the Products page as a guideline?

Yes, subs with missiles and active/passive radar. Nothing like sensors, periscopes of any of that nonsense. But you will be able to use TLAMs on subs (and on naval carriers, cruisers, destroyers, assault ships) to attack ground targets. Subs can hide undetected as long as they are not moving, firing, close to the shoreline etc

And you use the LCACs to go from shore to naval units and vice versa. e.g. if you were a marine on land, you could pinch an LCAC (which some idiot who launched from a naval vessel left behind), go to their naval unit, hop on board, wreak havoc, leave. And maybe (if you have the required EPs) steal one of their gunships on deck etc etc.

The system requirements - at this point - are final and will not change. The game is in late Beta stage and all that stuff has already been hammered down. Notice that the minimum requirement is no longer a pixel shader card (which previously ruled out all MX cards), though you must have a card with a vertex shader. Without a pixel shader, you won't have any of snazzy effects e.g. volumetric explosions, ENBM water, shadows etc etc

quote:

And maybe (if you have the required EPs) steal one of their gunships on deck etc etc.

so are you saying that you will be able to take over any ship with the appropriate EP??? say for instance u start off as a marine and u can work your way up to a starship commander position???

or possibly even capture a starship (since I am assuming we would be able to capture FC)

cus damn that would be like Rambo or something

Oh there was something I was wondering about the FPS aspect of BCG... will we be able to point our gun straight up and down this time? EX: something if flying overhead and I decide I want to shoot at it would I be able to do that from the ground?

BTW I imagined this game before I ever knew about it lol so you crated that game MAN!!!

(I bought it because I read the features on the box and it was like a dream come true, literally)

I will add you to my list of cool people.

oh but the game in my mind was multiplayer...BCO? and every crew member was a different player, and everything in the ship was destroyable hehe EX: say you were a ship medic and the ship is under attack, while you run down a corridor there is a hull breach and you are sucked out into space(you see a hole get punched in the wall) hehe I used to build ships with my K-NEX and would make little people and make the ships fight and I would always make up different kinds of video games that would be cool heh. Yeah I had alot of free time and a wild imagination.

It looks like you were/are createing something like this though

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

so are you saying that you will be able to take over any ship with the appropriate EP??? say for instance u start off as a marine and u can work your way up to a starship commander position???

No. I never said that. At all. Marines can only drive vehicles. Each career has a different class of units that it can use. And no, I'm not going to explain all this again. Go do a search for the topics in which I have discussed this at length.

quote:

Oh there was something I was wondering about the FPS aspect of BCG... will we be able to point our gun straight up and down this time? EX: something if flying overhead and I decide I want to shoot at it would I be able to do that from the ground?

There are limits. And those limits remain as-is. They were fine before and do not need revisions - nor will they be revised. If something passes overhead, then, well gee, turn around.

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

BCG is gonna be off the hook

although i have 1 question. will earth, the moon and hopefully mars use actual terrain maps? cause i so wanna fly through the grand canyon, and visit that face on mars

No. For that, pick up a copy of MS Flight Sim 2004. Have fun.

Well, the publisher's sale team, decided to send a new box art to EB, forgetting that this closely kept and highly controversial secret (since July actually) would leak before the official announcement (initially supposed to coincide with the demo due out in 2-3 weeks) was made.

Then today I get email telling me that despite PR's attempts at suppressing it (heh), GameSpot had gotten wind of it, done IP searches (e.g. www.universal-combat.com, www.universal-combat.net) and was going to post a news bit about it tonite. Thereby, in one fell swoop, catching a percieved scoop. All before even before Dreamcatcher's UC branded website (due to be finished next week I was told) was finished and ready to roll.

Go figure.

And no, I'm too pissed to take ANY questions at this time. You will see my official comments in the upcoming joint press release (which, as things stand, I won't be surprised if they released it tomorrow), interviews etc etc

What a pain. And I told them back in July that this would leak once the retailers (who are, funny enough, jumping for joy at the new action focus) were advised of the game's rebranding and new direction.

And in case you were wondering, the answer is

1. yes, Dreamcatcher convinced me to re-brand the game. In the end it made sense because, as of BCM, the series stopped being about "a Battlecruiser" and "a pure space sim"
  2. yes, I was pissed about it then and I still have some reservations about it (given the history of the franchise etc), but I'm over it. I think.
  3. yes, I still own the IP (Intellectual Property), brand name etc etc. And if this pans out, the UC brand will be a new franchise, while Battlecruiser will continue on with Battlecruiser Online as was originally planned.
  4. yes, the game has been modified in a LOT of ways in order to cater to both the die-hard fans and the action crowd we're supposed to be attracting.
  5. And yes, while I still consider it to be a goddamn pain, I think that my re-design will appease both camps and keep Dreamcatcher from giving me grief about not wanting to maximize the sales potential of the game.
  6. yes, if you were wondering if this is why the game slipped from Q3 to Q4. And no, its not a major slippage because its mostly interface, gameplay and some innerworking revisions, coupled with some engine revisions.
  7. please suppress the urge to yell ...Derek you sellout b*tch! because nobody paid me to do it. And I specifically turned down the offered funding for the additional development resources. Opting instead to stick with my existing project budget. They'd better sell a ton of units.

[ 09-18-2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

damn...at least your keeping us updated on the situation. the new screenshots were enough for me though. No questions...just a lot of crossing my fingers waiting for it to release. Sorry about the leakage.

drink something...u might feel better man.