programming question for derek

DarkElf-

What compiler did you use. I mean like what programming tool? (ex. C++, c++ .net, c)

thanks in advance. Im learning c++ . net and hoping u used something like it so maybe one day i can learn to make games like this. again, thanks.

P.S. u can delete this post if u want. just plz answer first. thx

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by BlackHole:

Hello , and you never use ASM ?

Used to. Don't anymore because current generation C/C++ compilers are fast enough for me. And wherever necessary, I can always inline ASM code from within a C/C++ module.

Guest BlackHole

Me too, i was a programmer in real time application but with time and my job no more. I'd like to programme games like you, but my knowledge with directx is very limited and i supposed the new version and harder than before (v2.0)!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

basically, what are all the languages you know?

(ex. C, CPP, fortran, cobol, asm, delphi/pascal, basic, etc)

I know and have programmed in all of the above. And then some (e.g. RPG-II, III, Lisp, Prolog etc)and other obscure ones going back to when I used to program for the AS400 etc. Also to include all the Borland Turbo xx products (e.g. Turbo C, Turbo C++, Turbo Basic etc), Microsoft's Quick x variants (e.g. Quick C, Quick Basic) etc etc Not to mention spinoffs such as Zortech C/C++, Watcom's offerings, Metrowerks compilers (which I use for prototyping mostly).

I guess most of them would all have the same basic "nomenclature" and most of the things sound like they're based off of C's language... its just a matter of learning the quirks and usefullness of the certain compilers... but even so, SC, thats impressive to be able to say that you've actually programmed in all of those!

quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion7:

I guess most of them would all have the same basic "nomenclature" and most of the things sound like they're based off of C's language... its just a matter of learning the quirks and usefullness of the certain compilers... but even so, SC, thats impressive to be able to say that you've actually programmed in all of those!

Yep, he's old, almost as old as I am!! LOL

• 2 years later...

I have been 3D modeling for a living for quite some years.

I'm very proficiant with Maya and 3D Studio Max and can model just about anything in great detail. I'm just looking into putting my models and worlds into games. So I have begun exploring where to begin making basic 3D games. Do you have any suggestions for someone who is just starting to explore programming? I am currently exploring DarkBASIC which I hear is good for starting out. I'm checking out the trial now and will buy it if I can learn anything. Have you heard of this and / or ever tried it? Do you have a better place for someone to go to start out? I think one day, I can get a game out there that has great modeling and graphics, I just need to begin the hard part now LOL. Thanks I'm looking to get into SOMETHING, just don't know where to start really. LOL

quote:

Originally posted by eyequeue:

Do you have any suggestions for someone who is just starting to explore programming?

uhm no. Besides, I'm too busy. There are tons of sites where your questions can be answered e.g. www.gamedev.net, www.codeproject.com just to name a few.

• 5 months later...

quote:

I have been 3D modeling for a living for quite some years.

I'm very proficiant with Maya and 3D Studio Max and can model just about anything in great detail. I'm just looking into putting my models and worlds into games. So I have begun exploring where to begin making basic 3D games. Do you have any suggestions for someone who is just starting to explore programming? I am currently exploring DarkBASIC which I hear is good for starting out. I'm checking out the trial now and will buy it if I can learn anything. Have you heard of this and / or ever tried it? Do you have a better place for someone to go to start out? I think one day, I can get a game out there that has great modeling and graphics, I just need to begin the hard part now LOL. Thanks [smile] I'm looking to get into SOMETHING, just don't know where to start really. LOL

I use darkbasic pro, it is nice plus the particle engine is very very good, you'll never beable to make games like UC or anything but you can make some very nice ones with it.

• 1 month later...