Universal Combat Status

Supreme Cmdr

Yesterday I was going to delete a post and accidentally deleted the entire thread (of the same name). Oh well.

Anyway, following the recent RC1 build fiasco, I have so far not received any word from Dreamcatcher as to the Gold status for the game.

Following the signed agreement that they destroy all 30K copies of the RC1 build which they replicated WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION from me and were going to ship into the retail channel, thereby shafting 30K gamers, I had sent them a GM based on the RC2 build. DC, the replicators and my attorneys, received this GM on 12-29-03 as planned.

As it stands, I have no idea if the game has been replicated, shipped or otherwise. And until I get word from them, treat all online ship dates are pure speculation.

All I know is that they wanted my latest version (at the time) for replication, so I sent them the RC2 build - which of course is largely untested and definitely not tested by DC, since they had never requested nor received it, prior to their announcement about them replicating the RC1 build.

I have made the UC vcf available online, in order to give an idea of what the out-of-box version of the game is going to have, as a result of them shipping the RC2 build.

I expect to make a patch available for download upon receiving word that the game has in fact shipped and is in the retail channel.

Assuming that they do in fact ship the RC2 build based GM for the game, the version number on the main menu should read 1.00.00. If it reads anything else, then it is based on the RC1 build - which should NOT be in the retail channel.

I have also started sending out review copies to the media for their review of the game based on my build; which is the official version of the game. Expect to see reviews in PCG, PCG UK, CGW, CGM and others soon.

[ 10-01-2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Thanks for the update SC. No word from DC you say? Sounds worrying.

VCF looks good, the issues are 99% less serious than what the average game ships with these days.

I just hope it wont be months before UC ends up on UK shores.

Pete

Yes, just got e-mail from ebworld...

'your pre-order will not ship on 1-14-04; we

have moved the "estimated " ship date back to

2-7-04.'

I am sure glad I got BCM Gold last week...

Now back to re-reading manual.

I also got the email from EB stating the release date is delayed to 2/7.

Now that they missed the holiday rush window, perhaps DC is taking a cheaper replication route rather than paying for a rush replication. Assuming that such a thing exists. Either way, they certainly aren't in any hurry to get into retail now and were never looking out for the gamer.

Good job SC for getting the job done right. Its so rare in this industry today.

bah...bah

It's great to know that it's possible somethings on the way, just the reviews is something to look forward too. What about I start a review site on geocities, and you send me a release 2

I'm really starting to think bying bcm is going to be a good option to help me survive...

Damn those shipping costs

Well, dying in anticipation as always.

quote:

Originally posted by Eric Kuyper:

A gold party on the 14th? To have a gold party, does that mean that the product status is, well, the color of the party, or am I inferring too much from the post?

I'm done with my end and I have no clue wtf Dreamcatcher is up to. And I don't care at this point. We start a new project on 01-15 while continuing work on our XBox project (which has been in development since June last year).

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Hey thats cool SC wish I could attend. Maybe next time I'll be in better shape financially so I can hop on a plane and meet you there.

Guest BaBaBooey

Hmmm... the third annual Janet Reno Dance Party is that day. Janet Reno Dance Party or Universal Combat Post Mortem? Derek Smart lecture or former Attorney General showing leg down Bayside way? OK, I think I'll do the Post Mortem.

You gonna be at the Ole Ole for cocktails afterward?

BaBa

PS No Janet Reno is not hosting a dance party, that was a joke, however bad.

For record keeping purposes, I posted the below post over in DC forum thread.

quote:

Folks, I am going to keep this simple.

Please ignore all the nonense that takvah and his ilk are spewing. Its unfounded rubbish. You should be able to recognize by now that these people have nothing better to do with their time.

DC received the RC2 build on 12-29-03 and it is in the production queue. DC does not have its own replicating plant (I doubt that any game publisher does atm).

When I sent DC the RC2 build, I never said anything about the game being finished, complete or otherwise. I simply provided the RC2 build in order to prevent the RC1 build from going to replication. The items that were pending were outlined in the BETA vcf, which is what prompted the poll.

NOWHERE was it EVER written that the RC2 build was bug free and because AFAIK the game was *not* finished, work continued on the RC2 build after the holidays. Hence the
VCF
which I posted in order to keep the fans appraised of the game status. This is the norm and has always been the case with my games.

DC accepting the RC2 build as a GM means that AFAIK, my work in this regard is done and anything beyond that build, is going to be a patch. Which is why the VCF contains entries for what I believe to be the first 1.00.01 patch to the game. Then again, DC may decide to replicate the latest version of the game (as seen in the VCF) instead of the RC2 build. Thats up to them and I have no control over that. If they ask me for a new GM based on that version, I will send them one. So far, they have not asked for it. And if the RC2 build is what ships to retail, then the patch is ready to go once I am notified that the game is shipping to retail.

As for mp, there are some multiplayer entries in the VCF and so far all known issues are listed in there. Takvar's inciteful post is enough to make a commatose cow LOL because he is implying that we are hiding stuff. Obviously he's not a BC gamer (is he even a gamer?) because if he was, he'd have known that any problem we find or is reported, goes in the vcf of all our games. UC uses the same mp kernel (with various modificationshere and there) as BCM Gold. So, if you didn't like mp in BCM Gold, you won't like it in UC. Then don't buy it.

The IGDA gig has nothing to do with the game's Gold status. We [3000AD Inc] are finished with that project and thats our gig signifying the completion of the project (our Gold state) etc because we are moving on with our XBox project (already six months in development) as well as starting the sequel to UC, later this month. In other words, we're offically DONE with UC.

So, unless you see statements from myself or a DC rep, just PLEASE ignore these people and do NOT reply to them.

In other news, I finished the demo last week and will be releasing it to the public later this month.

Have a nice weekend

ps: Comparing UC to BF1942 - in *any* aspect - is the silliest thing I've heard in my entire life. That just goes to show that he has NO CLUE what he's talking about.

Does anyone else hate how they call these "post-mortems"? It makes it sound like it died of some terminal disease... Why not something more upbeat or neutral, like "Post-release development analysis"?

Or in UC's case, "How to invent a new genre and kick the industry in the keester"

Cool, looking forward to release.

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Does anyone else hate how they call these "post-mortems"? It makes it sound like it died of some terminal disease... Why not something more upbeat or neutral, like "Post-release development analysis"?

Based on the quality and thought put into most games, I think the prhase "post-mortem" is quite appropriate.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Based on the quality and thought put into most games, I think the prhase "post-mortem" is quite appropriate.

LMAO! ok i almost choked on a cookie there

A quick update. DC received the latest 1.00.01 patch from me earlier today. And it now looks like this version of the game is what will be replicated.

The new retailer ship date of 02-07-04 is 99% realistic because the game is probably going Gold next week and should be out of production about a week later.

quote:

Originally posted by Eisenhorn:

Michigan? Kinda cold this time of year wouldn't you say? I think the SC prefers warmer climates.

Yes, it is quite chilly....with about 15 feet of snow on the ground

But we have nice, fancy, heated buildings that would be perfect for something like that

rvs

• 2 weeks later...

Got word from the producer today that the discs are out of replication (worldwide, those some territories e.g. UK will be behind France) etc etc. The game should start trickling into stores during the first week of February and possibly before its official Feb 7th release date.