First Person Mode - Whats wrong/right with it?

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most frustrating part of FP mode is situational awareness. The movement isn't that bad, a little stiff, but not bad.

The hard part is keeping tabs on your enemy. I find I must operate with the DIE on all the time, but that shrinks/clutters your view quite a bit. Perhaps if the radar was simply always on and just down in the bottom like the vehicle modes.

The interface bar at the bottom takes up a lot of real estate and would need to change. Is such a large picture of the weapon needed? It's right there in your hands to see, no? Do we need to see that you have a backpack?

The FP mode has a UI unlike the rest of the game. Perhaps if the indicators were smaller and positioned on the left like in space and vehicle modes.

The tall grass 6' grass in many places blinds you, but doesn't seem to hinder the enemy.

It would be nice if you could hear/see misses... thuds in the grass, tracers, clinks and sparks when vehicles and buildings were hit, etc.

I've been trying to think why Tribes and Unreal Tournament make this so easy. One, is that you can hear your enemy really well. You hear the grunt when they jump, the jetpacks when they fly, the bullet hits when they miss.

Also, there's the "flash" onscreen showing from what direction you got hit.

All of these things aren't a problem when in space or flight, because everything is a laser shot (tracer) or missile and you can see where everyone is on the radar.

Oh great, look what the cat dragged back.

Anyway, good post. I have already addressed most of what you pointed out. Here is the VCF for the upcoming [test] version

The interface is keeping in line with other games which allow you to see your inventory. If you don't want to use it, turn it off with F1. I don't have ANY plans to revise it. Though I have been considering remapping the right mouse button so that it toggles that weapon bar with the grenades, since right now you can't tell which types (5-9) you have.

The foliage does hinder AI troops because they rely on line of sight. However, they have pin-point accuracy because while they can see (it just a straight line) between two blades of grass, you cannot unless you are very close to the grass.

I don't have time to add any further audio cues because it requires a lot of code revision. So for now, if don't see your screen flash Red, while hostiles are firing at you, rest assured that you haven't been hit. Also, those other games have very few units around with attached audio cues. Given the number of hostiles which can be around in my game, this could be a resource hog if implemented. I don't intend to sacrifice performance for something like this. I've already gone above and beyond by licensing and implementing a new sound engine.

I tried the new scenarios but I didn't get too far into them because I didn't have too much time to play and I didn't want to run the 6km to the objective in one or 8km in the other. I noticed the hovercraft(???) on the water but it looked that that was my landing craft, and I didn't see any other vehicles. Did I just miss a faster way of getting there?

I did try out some of the other scenarios and really enjoyed them. On the one where your aircraft crashes and you have to fight off the enemy until help arrives, I was actually able to kill a few guys before they got me. Experience points.... . It really helped being able to see them on my radar. I will play more tonight and post more comments later.

One thing I did notice is I was playing a IA scenario where it was night, so I used the shift+ function to turn on night vision. I died REALLY fast and decided to play a different scenario. When the new scenario loaded my night vision was still on. Not a biggie but thought you might want to know.

There are encounters along the way to the target area. You don't need a vehicle to get there.

Your didn't provide most of the information that I was looking for. This thread is here for a purpose. So everyone needs to bear this in mind before posting please.

I will look into the night vision issue. Looks like its not being cleared on exit.

I tried a half an hour of play yesterday and found the feeling very much improved from the original version.

I did not find a way to try all the new functions as I have an europeean keyboard and thus the layout is different (I wasnt' able to activate the night vision for instance).

I'll search the keys as soon as I get time.

No way to find a workaround for different keyboard localization SC?

Oh, well....no problem, I'll be hunting a bit for the right combination......I'll have a search with google for a key map if I find something I may post it for others too.

I have added SHIFT+N for the next (and final) patch. So either will work.

Thus far, I haven't seen any further comments about the fp revisions. I am going to be releasing the final patch on Monday and this will effectively close this discussion as well as any further fp related revisions. In fact, barring any fatal crash bugs, this will be the final patch for this game.

Thanks for the combo kay change.

I noticed that the zoom keys [] are not working properly too in italian keyb. Only the zoom + is working.

Dunno if a remap of this two can be done easily. The numeric pad + and - kay would be perfect for any kayb layout around the worl I think.

For the rest I think you got the jackpot for what it was possible on this game aspect SC, great work.

Guest Cornucopia

Well...those are two tuff IAs.

It would be nice if the hostiles in the HUD map would be a little darker red in color.As they are, they are barely decernable from the other personnel.

The colors are the same as everywhere else in the game. They are not bright enough because of the background of the map. Nothing I can do about that.

And if you think those two are tuff, try the two news ones just released in the .05 patch.

[ 02-11-2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Cornucopia

Yeah...Ok...bummer.

Thanks for the reply.

The simple answer here is your detrators expect FP to work like all the popular FPSs. But we know that will never happen.

Well...increasing the VTT tags range to 100 meters helped considerably.

BTW...what does the optional class parameter mean in 'The SAD, SEAD and CAP when used in the LAUNCH command, now take an optional region and numeric class parameter.' in GBS?

In other words, what is the extra parameter for?

quote:

And if you think those two are tuff, try the two news ones just released in the .05 patch.

Cool!

Only someone familiar with the GBS system will know what I'm talking about. It is pointless me explaining it and this is not the forum for it.

You did notice the part where I repeatedly said no off-topic posts in this thread, right? Right?

Thanks for the hint! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I haven't completed the scenario yet,but I will use your advice!I like the expanded HUD map, although I haven't gotten reading the map down to a science(zooming instinctively where appropriate), but the changes make the FPS portion more enjoyable.Practice will take care of that.

Well, before you can get to mowing down marines, you have to take out the enemy air defenses. As soon as their weapon systems come online, its all over and you barely have five minutes to take them all out before they destroy your entire flight group.

I played IA0119 and was able to take out a 2 of their gunships. I wasn't haven't much luck hitting troops on the ground and I didn't want their defenses to get me, so I landed my craft near their base and went in on foot. I managed to take out one of their ground turrents, but one of their ground troops took me out before I could get anymore.

I'm really starting to enjoy FP mode.

One thing I still have issues with is ordering any troops that are following me around. It just seems cumbersome to me to have to cycle through them to give them commands. Would it be feasable to set up commanding troops so it works like commanding shuttles and fighters while on the bridge of your CC? You could bring up a menu (maybe by right-clicking) similar to the 'Command-Fighters' menu that would show any troops in the area that you can issue orders to. You could then check which troops you want and issue orders to them. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult (seem being the key word here) since it is already being used for shuttles and fighters.

It just seems to me anything that simplifies issuing of orders during the heat of battle would be useful, although I understand that you want to finish up this project and focus your efforts on your other ones.

Anyway....time to see if I can to better on IA0119.

OK, I haven't beat IA0119 yet, but I'm getting close. I've tried it 3 more times using different tactics each time.

The first time I decided that the gunships were too slow so I used a shuttle instead. I got there and took a few out air defenses before they were activated. I also took out a few ground troops and then 'borrowed' one of their tanks. I used it to finish taking out the air defenses but a missile took out my tank before I could finish the job. Forunately I had ejected before the missile hit, so I ran to my shuttle, got in it, and flew to the transport that had just arrived. When I got out I targed the officer that was headed towards it and started to chase him. He was beamed aboard before I could catch him so I got back in my shuttle to see if I could do anything to the transport, and shortly after my shuttle was disintigrated by the transports PTA system.

I tried again using the shuttle, but this time I brought my own tank along using the tractor beam. I got there, hopped in my tank, and proceeded to wipe out anything and anybody in my path. I had a few of their air support shooting missiles at me, but I was able out-maneuver the missiles (except for a little splash damage) by moving in different directions quickly. I got in their base and saw that once again the officer was running for his life. I tried to catch him but one of their missiles finally hit it's mark.

My final time I again used the shuttle but this time I towed a gunship instead of a tank. I got to the mission zone, hopped in my gunship, and proceeded to wipe out the place before their main defenses were activated. I managed to destroy most of the ground-to-air defenses along with most of the buildings. I was 50+ feet up when the computer told me that a missile was headed my way. I knew I wouldn't be able to dodge it so I ejected. I landed on the ground and look up just in time to see my gunship get destroyed by the missile. I ran to make sure that I didn't have any debris land on me (don't know if it would kill me but from what I know of Derek it probably would). I then checked and saw that the officer was running away. Unfortunately I was on the opposite side of the base and couldn't get to him before a missile took me out.

I think 10 or 15 more times and I'll beat it.

This just goes to show some of the possibilities this game offers.