Why are your installers corrupt?

Guest Commander 598

Guest Commander 598

This is the third time I have downloaded something made by you that was corrupt.

First it was the BCM Demo E1 next it was the Bc3k Freeware with the same little Internal error(twice).

Theres something wrong with those installers you use.

Guest Commander 598

Not my system.

I got BCM E2 without any problem.

I forgot to mention that I have spent nearly a week downloading.

I get about 2kbs(At most).

So this has become very tiring.

First off Commander 598, why come whining here if you get bad downloads after hours of downloading.

Installers work fine if you get files downloaded right.

Guest Commander 598

quote:

why come whining here

This is place where i'm supposed to tell you problems and you help me with them.

quote:

Installers work fine if you get files downloaded right.

You tell me that after 20+hours of download that I didn't download it right? Even when the program I was using said:

quote:

File Succesfully Transfered

I don't get it.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Commander 598 ]

First of all, there is nothing wrong with the installers or the file. Period. If they work for everyone else but not you, that should automatically tell you something.

Now, if you want help, you may want to stop assigning blame and tell us what system you're using.

quote:

You tell me that after 20+hours of download that I didn't download it right? Even when the program I was using said: File Succesfully Transfered

So you're telling me that it has to be the program you're downloading rather than the program doing the downloading?

Seriously, large files can corrupt VERY easily, and your download software wouldn't have a clue.

Guest Commander 598

Windows 98SE

128mb RAM

Pentium 3

TNT2(I have had no reason to upgrade it yet)

I believe someone else had similar problem with the BCM E1 Demo back when it was released.

The problem lies with your ISP or one of the myriad of points in between.

It could be a dirty (noisy) phone line. If you experience frequent bad downloads, have your line checked. There is a utility at

www.dslreports.com that can check this. The next step is to call your telephone service provider.

Now, don't tell us that you are using AOL. If you are, you have no room to complain about anything.

quote:

This is place where i'm supposed to tell you problems and you help me with them.

No, this is the BC COMMUNITY not the personal help line. Sure we try to help out people as best we can, but we are not under ANY obligation to provide help... especially for UNSUPPORTED software.

quote:

You tell me that after 20+hours of download that I didn't download it right? Even when the program I was using said:

Yep.

quote:

I don't get it.

No, I guess you don't. It really isn't that difficult for a file to be corrupt on download. As was stated earlier, shouldn't the lack of hundreds of others complaining about installers not working tip you off that it just might be YOUR download has a problem, not the installer?

Basically, go redownload the files. The best tech support in the world can't fix a corrupt download.

OH NO SC's going to blow!

heh j/k

go easy on him SC... hes only a little boy.

and yes 598 its you that has the problem, the first time I d/l E1 I got an invalid error, I re-downloaded it and now it works fine! and I had no problem with E2 so far.

Thanks SC

You're getting Internal Error 2355, right? You're probably referencing to this post about the same error.

I did have a problem twice with the E2 Demo. Yes, I have AOL, yes, I only download at 2.7k max, and yes, my phone lines are bad (noisy, old, junky). Took me a week and a half to get it right, but it eventually worked.

598, if you have any of the problems I described above (2.0k downloading is a sure sign of bad phone lines), then try to download it all at once, instead of getting it, stopping it, and picking it up later. Sometimes, that can cause problems in the downloads.

Also, some file downloaders, such as DAP (Download Accelerator), which split the file in 4, and getting them on seperate connections can also lead to bad file integrity. When having the problems with the E2 Demo, I was using DAP at the time, and switched to GOZilla, which has since been working fine.

That should help

-----

If you still believe it's the installers, even after all of the info we've given you, then go to www.installshield.com, and go annoy the InstallShield guys there.

Just kidding. But you should go there if you still get a persistent error, even after the steps we've given you.