Major repair issues needed!!

Sailor

This 8th time I been killed. It really getting on my nerves. SC you really need to do something about repair issue.

I find it a major draw back when you have the parts to repair stuff you cann't when the main computer is down.

A simple option is needed when the main computer is down. Call going to engennier and telling what to fix.

This is a major Disadventage over npc's ship's. Which repair them self automaticly. You can damage there ship to just one int and they still can repair.

But not players when the main computer is down. My I ask why is there no backup option to repair your ship. Like have the commander go search for a engennier.

8 ships lost do the main computer going down. I lose all my command abilities.

I do understand why lose of the main computer should slow you down but the lose all repairs that a little harsh.

You cann't even control your self. If your playing the commander should you all way have say where he can at least go on the ship. Like to do you enginnering and tell them to fix something.

One last thing I would have posted this in the support but I cann't. I do own the game and I have regstered. Can you fix this.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It works just like it should. If you don't have the computer then you can't fix the ship because you can't access that computer and therefore not only can't you issue orders but you can't see what else is damaged and therefore you can't troubleshoot or fix it. So what you need to do is dock with the station, system engineers have their own stations computer that can be hooked up into your ship and you can ask them to repair your computer and then if you don't want to wait then launch and repair the rest yourself.

Also, thinking about this realistically, if you have a gigantic ship, and the main computer is damaged, then do you have any idea what ammount of time it would take to find/fix the damaged systems without the main computer? It would be pretty much impossible in space and would have to be done in their "dry dock". Same thing for todays planes. The computer on board a 747 will actually run a continuous self diagnostic and will tell the pilots/maintenance what is broken and what is about to break. It will actually comunicate with computers on the ground and if anything is ABOUT to break the maintenance guys will call the pilots and warn them about it. Here's a true story for you.

Pilots were doing their pre-flight check, phone rings in the cockpit. They pick up, and it's the maintenance telling them that some circuit breaker is about to pop, and while they are talking, "blop" the circuit breaker pops. It was the computer that send the info to the maintenane and the maintenance called the pilots, and that's just todays plane. Now compare that to a space ship with 100+ people and extreemly complex systems, without the main computer you are lucky to be able to get to the station, because once you loose it you are basically floating around in a huge "soda" can.

I completely agree with Soback on this. But is it true that NPC ships have the advantage of being able to repair even though their main computer is destroyed? I haven't played enough to know for sure, but if so, I would think this should be changed.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermidor:

I completely agree with Soback on this. But is it true that NPC ships have the advantage of being able to repair even though their main computer is destroyed? I haven't played enough to know for sure, but if so, I would think this should be changed.

Well I thought of a way to test this. Although its very hard to do. If you happen to fight another AI carrier and disable it so that it is disable or emitting an sos distroy its computer system if you know where to fire on it. Maybe youll be lucky and it will already be distroyed. Then Tow it. Issue a halt order in tow mode. Then go watch tv for half and hour or have dinner or what have you and then check its systems. If its able to repair without a computer then you'll know that issue exist's.

Great minds work together.

quote:

Originally posted by Masterfeff761:

Well I thought of a way to test this. Although its very hard to do. If you happen to fight another AI carrier and disable it so that it is disable or emitting an sos distroy its computer system if you know where to fire on it. Maybe youll be lucky and it will already be distroyed. Then Tow it. Issue a halt order in tow mode. Then go watch tv for half and hour or have dinner or what have you and then check its systems. If its able to repair without a computer then you'll know that issue exist's.

Great minds work together.

Rubbish

The object of the game SailorX Network is to reduce the amount of damage your CC receives and inflict massive amounts of damage to your opponets. Improve your cmdr skills and you will notice that your CC does not require massive amounts of repairs.

TTFN

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Dread:

What about the issue of not being able to order yourself somewhere? I understand the whole concept of being unable to repair your own ship, but what about telling your AE to go to a shuttle?

What about it?

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Dread:

Just because the computer is destroyed, why should that preclude you from moving yourself? I'm pretty sure it does, but I may be wrong (i've only been heavily damaged once, and comp still worked)

You're wrong. It doesn't. Computer systems have nothing to do with locations.

There is an option to request a tow ship for help. I have limited experience with this option. If it works everywhere, then you have a way out when your ship gets too far gone to fix in space.

Does it work if you are in enemy space at the time? (Havn't tried it so I don't know)

About a month ago I posted a comment on this glorious repair feature. I'm not being sarcastic. Think about it: A Nimitz class aircraft carrier is 1,092 feet long with a crew complement (not including air crew) of 3,200 people. A Questar class heavy cruiser is about a 1253 feet long and has a crew of...27. I don't know if the SC has mentioned much about how he envisions the ships working, but I'll bet that a great deal of the repair work is done by robotics and nanites under the direction of human engineers working through a massively parallel computer network. When enough of that network goes down you hear "Logistix computer destroyed" and your engineers are left to muddle around in whatever section of the ship that they happen to be in. There, these ****ing brilliant people orchestrate tons of 'bots and millions of nanites all while cursing at a computer terminal that displays the 3000AD equivilent of the hourglass mouse cursor. Pandemonium ensues. I love that...

Well I've been thru deadlocks too... leaving the ship floating around a station while trading with a shuttle is not good... I saw my sunflash being almost destroyed by a alinix... even thought I ordered it to attack it...

I had no more reactor. No logistix computer.. I entered my ship by the airlock (shuttle couldn't dock). I towed my ships VERY close to the station but I couldn't dock! I asked for a tow and nothing happened, money wasn't even deducted from my account... I had 1.2 millions... what to do in such a situation?

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Well I've been thru deadlocks too... leaving the ship floating around a station while trading with a shuttle is not good... I saw my sunflash being almost destroyed by a alinix... even thought I ordered it to attack it...

I had no more reactor. No logistix computer.. I entered my ship by the airlock (shuttle couldn't dock). I towed my ships VERY close to the station but I couldn't dock! I asked for a tow and nothing happened, money wasn't even deducted from my account... I had 1.2 millions... what to do in such a situation?

Ships being towed can't dock. Order your shuttle to stop towing you and then dock.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

yeah I had a like situation. I thought to exit the cruiser and enter a schuttle that I had out working. I did find out that although every computer on the ship is dead you can still target the docks... tell the cruiser to "fly to" the dock even if you can't see a lock its there, get your ship within range and ALT d , will dock it.

I thought that was pretty kewl.

John in Indianapolis

BTW I got the 1.03 patch thingie

Did you remember to target the station (/)?

Just a wild guess, since you can't see if it's targeted, I thought that it might be possible you forgot it.

One thing that always annoyed me about the damage is how quickly it eats up spare parts. Yes, I know fixing damage uses spare parts...but what about just minor damage on many systems? If you have 10 systems with 90%+ integrity, that ought to only use up a few spare parts, but instead it just eats through them.

Also, with the tac computer down, you cannot move people around the ship, which seems kind of odd that if the computer dies, your feet stick to the floor.

But then I fixed all those problems! I learned how to command a ship! Whatever you do, do NOT order your ship to auto attack anything, especially fighters. Its utter suicide. Your ship will try to go head to head with other ships, and fighters can tear through 6000+ shield units in just a matter of seconds, and then they'll turn the front of your ship into wreckage.

The best thing I've found it to mostly try to take out other things with your turrets. I use Starflash missiles (I'm a cheap bastard) and on occasion main guns while I manuver around and avoid most of the fire.

With fully upgraded systems on my Warmonger (6400shields, 8400 or so hull) I can go toe to toe with nearly everything, against any odds, and come out okay. One time I was under attack by a dozen fighters and half a dozen cruisers. Those cargo pods were sweet loot.

And not once were my shields penetrated!

Here's a tip that will vastly increase your survival. Start off at your home planet, sell all of your weapons, or enough to buy the best shield system availible. (Tac Anagram for carriers, dont buy it if you're a cruiser.) Then send all of your engies to installing that, and wait around near the station until its finished. That'll tripple your shields easily, and that gives you a very nice cushion against damage.

The best thing for damage control in BCM is to avoid it entirely. Dont fly into corrosive atmospheres, turn on your countermeasures if a flock of missiles are after you, and jink. If you know how to jink, the few shots that do manage to hit you will just slide off those thick shields.

One final tip! If anything is damaged and its not a vital system, do not try to repair it yourself. Simply fly to a friendly station, click on the repair button, and the station will give you the spare parts. Just do that until you have all of the spare parts for the repairs needed and depart. You can have your engineers put it together on the road.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Fox ]