The cargo pod in Logistix: how do I use it?

Hm. I don't recall reading about it anywhere and my question doesn't seem to be answered in the newbie area, so I'll risk a "Dumb Question Of The Day" award.

I can transfer cargo in Logistix to a cargo pod. What good does this do?

Transporting cargo to planet surface is a separate operation done from another screen and creates its own cargo pod. I don't think then that that's what the Logistix one is for.

Pointers to missed manual pages and/or appendix files preferred so I learn where the info is for future reference, but I'll take any answers at all on this...

You can load cargo to the cargo pod and eject it to be picked up later (illegal items ) or to exchange goods with other players in the future mp.

I'm at work and don't have manual handy right now, but I will post the page references later (if no one hasn't done that already till then).

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Transporting cargo to planet surface is a separate operation done from another screen and creates its own cargo pod. I don't think then that that's what the Logistix one is for.

Since you only have access to cargo inventory from Logistix.....

I've noticed that I can just shove any illegal items into my cargo pod, and even as TER/MIL they wont notice it when I dock at various bases.

Then I can go sell all of the stuff at less lawful parts of the galaxy once I've accumulated a nice stockpile.

quote:

Originally posted by Fox:

I've noticed that I can just shove any illegal items into my cargo pod, and even as TER/MIL they wont notice it when I dock at various bases.

That is correct. They only check your main cargo inventory area most of the time. So, you can hide items in the cargo pod and they will sometimes miss it.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

You can load cargo to the cargo pod and eject it to be picked up later (illegal items ) or to exchange goods with other players in the future mp.

So how do you eject the pod? That's kind of what I thought but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Also the cargo pod can be used as another cargo bay (albiet a small one) if you begin to run out of space. Be creative with it, and with the rest of your ship. There's some rather surprising things you can do if you think clever thoughts.

One thing that would be kind of cool is to make weapons or other explosive cargos actually detonate if they're too badly damaged. You could buy a whole bunch of very large missiles, pack your ship full of them, then enjoy the fireworks if you get too badly damaged. Or fill up that cargo pod and set it off like a huge landmine...perhaps if you could trap the cargo pod? They'll see lots of nice items in there...then as soon as they load it up...BOOOOM!!

Actualy Fox, this is already so when it comes to the cargo bay (not sure about the weapons bay though). Ive had unsafe level of minerals in my cargo bay, and had a explosion because of it (oppps silly me!!!). I cant remember off the top of my head which two minerals react with one another. Just be carefull when your cargo bay gets dammaged as this has been one of my reasons for loosing the WHOLE cargo bay after an explosion occured!

Actualy, now that I remember, I think I have seen this mentioned in the apendix in the section that shows what your crew does at diffrent AI levels. Take a look.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Roberto ]

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

So no one knows how to eject the cargo pod into space, then?

Bummer, I had some vague ideas for that feature. But I'll try the smuggling bit out for sure.

Didn't someone already mention that it is an mp feature not possible in sp?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Didn't someone already mention that it is an mp feature not possible in sp?

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I think not.

Hmmmmmm....

You know, I have very vague recollections regarding SC's response, but they're so vague and fuzzy I dunno if it's just my brain inventing memories on the grounds that his explanation seems rather sensible. In which case I'm inclined to agree with E5, but with no more certainty than I have that SC didn't say the above.

Either way, thanks to all for the responses. At least now I have a grip on what can be done with the thing for the moment.

I must have been sleepy... I thought it was "Didn't I already metionned that" instead of the real thing

Oh well. When it takes 1 hour to go throught all the websites you always go and that this forum is the last place.. and when it's 3 am... you tend to skip words and miss the meaning of some sentences...

I'll shut up before I shoot myself involuntarily *sigh*

Oh and btw... why did you ask if papi said it before?

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]