Hyperdrive doesn't activate

My first post I love this game but I am having this weird problem. I start a brand new roam mission, right out of space dock, I plot a course, turn on the autopilot, it says engaging hyperdrive and...nothing. I try shutting off autopilot press a number key for thrust and...nothing, although the thrust indicator does move up. Tried selecting a spacestation and SHFT-9 and...nothing. I tried a fresh install and repatched to 1.0.0.7 and same problem. Running ME and DirectX 8.1 my other info is in my profile. Help I want to play!

PS Couldn't even run the game with my CD-RW drive although I could install it, I guess it doesn't like Safedisc. Had to add a second Goldstar basic 8X CD to run the game.

It's not a range issue, I'm way over 1000km away. When this happens all ships stop moving. Also the range to target seems to cycle back and forth between two values very quickly. I am able to manipulate other systems during this problem, I just can't move. Like I said, when it occurs even the thrusters won't move the ship.

quote:

Originally posted by pearso:

It's not a range issue, I'm way over 1000km away.

If the HJ won't engage, it is either

1. A range issue. Being 1000km away and thinking that it should work, is meaningless because the range is calculated based on the range to and the size of the jump target

2. Engine malfunction

3. Commander incompetence (that would be you, in case you were wondering.

He also could've forgotten to set it as his flight path target,I've had that happen to me before.

Hit the "F" key once you've selected a target to jump to. Btw, if you're too lazy to use the keyboard, click on the icon of the CC and select "Command Craft Order/Fly-to/".

quote:

Originally posted by R_wilco:

He also could've forgotten to set it as his flight path target,I've had that happen to me before.

You don't need a flight path target to HJ. You just need a target selected in either the NID or TACSCAN and then hit ALT+9

[ 04-03-2002, 15:04: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I wish it was only styrofoam.

After starting a new game (no damage) I selected Genesis as my target through TACSCAN which I believe is over 1,000,000 km away. I hit SHFT+9 and nothing. I can exit the game at this point and then go back in with resume and the ship will activate the hyperdrive and head to Genesis.

I have a screen shot I took when this happened where I click on cloak and it shows 'Clocking system locked during Hyperjump' and my speed is 0.

I'm baffled. Tried complete uninstall, scan disk, defrag, reinstall, patch 1.0.07 and I could play one game then it started up again.

Maybe I'll try going to XP, been meaning to anyway. I really want to play.

Never heard of problem you're having, but I just noticed that you're using very old video drivers.

Try upgrading to 28.32 or 27.42 drivers, they both work for me.

You do know that velocity goes to 0 and stays there for a moment before ship actually makes the hyperjump?

Do you have hyperjump effects on in your config?

It might look like nothing happens if you have no effects turned on, it takes a while before you see you're moving, the space is huge

Just few thoughts, I'm sure you're aware of these anyway.

[ 04-05-2002, 00:40: Message edited by: Papi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Pearso you need to press ALT-9 not SHIFT-9 to activate the hj.

hmmm...I will double-check my manual when I get home but to date, I have pressed Shift+9 to activate HJ. (it works too!)

[ 04-05-2002, 08:37: Message edited by: Captain X ]

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

Try upgrading to 28.32 or 27.42 drivers, they both work for me.

You do know that velocity goes to 0 and stays there for a moment before ship actually makes the hyperjump?

Do you have hyperjump effects on in your config?

- I'll try upgrading the video drivers as suggested.

- Yes, I know it goes to 0 before the jump. With this problem it just stays there.

- Yes, I have hyperjump effects on. Maybe I'll try shutting them off as a test.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- it has nothing to do with drivers

- it has nothing to do with CONFIG hj settings

He doesn't know how to use it and I'll better that he doesn't have a target selected in the Tacscan and visible in the CVD.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

He doesn't know how to use it and I'll better that he doesn't have a target selected in the Tacscan and visible in the CVD.

It's not that difficult. The target is selected in the TACSCAN and does appear in the CVD before I hit SHFT+9 to HJ. I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm a big fan of this game and have been since BC3K. Maybe it's something in my specific configuration, I don't know. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Originally posted by pearso:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

It's not that difficult. The target is selected in the TACSCAN and does appear in the CVD before I hit SHFT+9 to HJ. I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm a big fan of this game and have been since BC3K. Maybe it's something in my specific configuration, I don't know. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Hey Pearso, try this

click on command craft icon

select command craft orders

select Fly to

select friendly

select Genesis

Good luck

It's working! Everytime now. I tried updating my drivers to 28.32 but still had the same problem. I then shut off Hyper Jump FX in my Config and I haven't had the problem since.

Thanks Papi and everyone else for your help!