A bit of n00b help please ^_^

Alrighty I have just purchased BCM, and I read through the whole manual and through a good chunk of the appendix. So next I decided to start a game as a commercial caste. I started in the sol system on Galcom HQ. Well anyhow I went ahead and purchased some gold and a whole bunch of canned food. As my destination I went ahead and hit the Orion Station in Alpha Centuri, right past the pluto jump point. I manage to sell the 25 units of gold and 200 units of canned food for a total proffit of around 2400. Hehe now you can see the problem with that seeing that I spent something like 15-20k in Radine to get there :/

Well to the point whats a good way to start out trade so I dont loose money?

Secondly what is a good method to keep track of what items will turn a profit? I tried just randomly picking a few things that sell for close to or below base price (as indicated on the appendix of trade list items) then go to a station and see if I can make a profit. That dosent work because of travel cost not to mention the prices fluctuate making it hard to predict the profit.

Thirdly, when I look at my load out all my shuttle craft have drones loaded in them. I can't for the life of me figure out what type of drone they are (mining or otherwise) and when I unasign them they dont show up in my cargo manifest. What is up with that?

I hope someone can help me because I realy like the concept of this game and I want to get more into it. Any sugestions or comments are greatly apreciated.

[ 08-01-2002, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: JSG ]

Look in the appendix at launch bases and check the inflation rates. Go to a base with a high inflation rate, sell everything on your ship, go to a base with a low inflation rate, buy a lot of stuff, go back to a base with high inflation, sell it...repeat.

I was going to do that until I learned that killing stuff and salvaging the cargo was a lot easier to do to make money.

The drones are all the same type, and there's no forseeable reason you'd ever want to remove them from the shuttles unless you deploy and extract them as explained in the manual.

BCM rocks...have fun.

Thanks for the help. There is a slight problem though. I am in the launch base catigory in the apendix html file and it dosent list the inflation rates. Also can those drones mine on planets or do you need mining drones? Also how do you exactly mine?

NOTE: I have Battlecruiser Millennium not 30k

Thanks for the previous help and the speedy post ^_^

[ 08-01-2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Justsomeguy ]

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Originally posted by Justsomeguy:

Thanks for the help. There is a slight problem though. I am in the launch base catigory in the apendix html file and it dosent list the inflation rates. Also can those drones mine on planets or do you need mining drones? Also how do you exactly mine?

Thanks for the previous help and the speedy post
^_^

Welcome to BCM!!!

Go here to find inflation rates and mineral content of Planets and Moons.

You have to send your shuttles to a Planet or Moon with orders to Deploy Drone. This must be done from Tacops.

Each shuttle comes with 1 drone, for mining.

[ 08-01-2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

Guest MIKE113

No problem. If you decide to try a Military caste, Prime Fleet is always looking for new recruits!

MP is coming!!!

[ 08-01-2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

Mining for n00bs

- Manual section 13.2

- docsbcmtutorial.html (there is a shortcut to this file created by the installer) in the HOW DO I DO THIS? section, scroll down to DEPLOY/EXTRACT A MINING DRONE ON A PLANET/MOON and read it.

Inflation Rates

If you patch up to 1.0.08 RC15 (beta patch), the updated Launch Bases file has the inflation rates in one of the columns. If you don't want to use a Beta patch, ask someone to send you the lbases.html file. Then copy it to the docsappendix folder where BCM is installed, overwriting the older version.

Have fun!

[ 08-01-2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Okay some more n00b help

I have established an okay trade rout between GALCOMHQ and GENESIS. I made a decent profit running Craft Parts 1 between the points. Anyhow thats not the issue. The problem is that my crew arnt faring to well. After about 4 runs my engineering crew was down into the low 60's in life. This along with my flight engineers. As well as my Flight Officer and Engeneer Officer. Okay this being said I am at a loss of how they got that bad. I dont have any radiation or infections to my knowledge. Could it be fatigue because some have 60%+ ratings?

I sent low life force crew to the infermary and I made sure the medical offcier was there but I wasnt able to treat them. I had to let them slowly regenerate whats up with that?

Finaly its going to take for ever for everyone to be healed and rested up is there any way to keep the fatigue from climbing so fast as well as keep the health high. Also is there a faster way to recover both?

Man I feel like such a n00b. Oh yeah one last thing is game time the same as real time? Because my game counter is at 14:00 the first day.

Well, the shuttle might have run in to something and your crew wasnt wearing their seatbelts- and well having your face smashed up aganist s console can cause stress..

Oh and, make sure you have main & aux life support running.

Okay yeah well first stupid n00b thing I have done. Aux life support was off so I assume that was responsible for some of the damage. But this still leaves my flight engeneers who have some 70% fatigue and I havent launched a single shuttle or fighter to date. Any idea of that? Also is there a fast way to bring down the fatigue way other than just off duty?

Yet another problem: Everyone on the crew have a hunger factor of aroun 140. Is that high? If that is how do I feed them. Note my ship dosent seem to have a galley for some reason??????

And about the forum. I thought I should post it here since it said BCM general. I thought the BC n00b was for the first BC. Should I move to that forum?

[ 08-01-2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Justsomeguy ]

The Auxillary Life Support system isn't a backup system (although you could be forgiven for making that mistake - i did).

As Soback said, your crew will leave their stations to eat - there is a galley, even though it isn't shown in Logistix (there's also a library & gym)

Guest Grayfox

one of the few things that had a nice inflation rate was plants.

id buy em at glacom HQ for like 10k and sell them at some places for almost 20k... furs too sometimes.

although be careful if you pick up illegal cargo on accident, and dock at a "legal" station, theyll confiscate youre illegal score

I got a way to hide the illegal stuff. Stash it in a shuttle craft, and load someone in there too. Launch just outside, do your thing, then when you leave, tell the shuttle to come home. Works for me!

----=====Intruder Alert=====----

Ah, after I made some decent cash running craft parts to Genesis and OC and FC parts to GalcomHQ I loaded up on weapons, STS mostly which are bought cheap at GalcomHQ and launched off to Varan the closest planet with high inflation. Shortly into the Alpha Centari system I got the intruder alert. Within minutes 7 out of my 10 marines where dead, 1 was in the medbay with less than 10% health and the other two were searching. How did this happen? No ships where near me, I had been doing sold hyper space jumps since I left GalcomHQ. How do I prevent this from happening again and where did they come from?

NOTE: Shields were off could that of contributed? Though no ships were anywhere near me the whole trip.

ADDED: Okay this time I made it to Varan and its a starbase so I asume its on the planet surface. I did an orbit drop with the ship but how do I find the station?

MORE: MY ship the Tarzink 2 armed transport has missle slots at the bridge but none in tactical load out, does that mean it cant handel any?

[ 08-03-2002, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Justsomeguy ]

Chances are that the ship was cloaked. Did your scanners or anything show a little bit of static every so often?

The only way I know how to prevent it is to be cloaked, but IIRC, only Carriers can cloak.

Even with shields on, they can still beam through, which kinda sucks, since even on Star Trek they can't beam through sheilds. I don't think they can on Star Trek...but this isn't Star Trek. Comes close though. lol

I dunno how to dock with, or even select a star base(I'm assuming that is on the surface). I just know how to dock with the ones in space.

I just checked it out, and you go into Tactical, then Loadout, then CC, and it has Probes, Missles, and Mines. The Unarmed Transport couldn't load missles, but my Battlecruiser Mark 3 could...sorry about that.

[ 08-03-2002, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Genken ]

quote:

Thanks I didnt think anything of the static. Okay since thats solved anyone know how to land on a Starbase or even find one on a planet?

Only support craft can dock at a Starbase, so first you're going to have to load all the goods you want to trade into a shuttle. Then you're going to have to pilot that shuttle yourself which means leaving your CC on autopilot (not a wise move for a carrier let alone a civilian craft) so I would suggest that you park the CC planetside (please note that landing a CC planetside can cause your Engineers quite a headache as the damage reports float in if not done carefully). Now, if you're still hot to dock planetside, it's been so long since I've bothered that I'll have to actually run through it once at home to even have anything intelligent to say about the rest of the procedure

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Okay then but how do I find the starbase once I do land???

The easiest way is to find it before you land, In Tacops. Find the base on the planet and give your vehicle a waypoint to that area.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this thread for a bit. Here's some step by step (from memory so don't shoot me) on docking at a starbase. Remember only support craft (shuttles, fighters and smaller) can dock planet side.

1. Fly to the region with a planet having a starbase
  2. Observe the planet in TACOPS before you make planet fall
  3. Use the Zoom To function in TACOPS to locate the base (you'll have to figure out how to do this on your own... )
  4. Set a way point for your shuttle near the base
  5. Make planet fall and make sure your radar is active (you'll hear a beep if it is, if it isn't hit R)
  6. Use the mouse to select ground targets (click the GND icon on the radar screen) and select the starbase from the pop-up menu
  7. Press Alt+D to dock when you are within range

[ 08-22-2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Tyrn ]