New computer

me

Well Gentlemen, my new computer has arrived. I am downloading the BCM 1.0.0.2 patch as I type. If you are interested in the specs you can see them in my last Log file (or my System Profile Info).

It's messed up though, get the machine on Monday(and of course have to let it acclimatize), take it out of the box, and hear the sound of a screw rattling inside the case... hmmm that's not good. so I pull the case apart. fish out the loose screw, look for any other possible problems with the setup. Today, go to turn on the computer, well... it's supposed to have winXP installed... it does, it just won't boot, The machine POSTS fine, but won't boot to windows(Not even the safe mode), so I Format the drive right out of the box(Chances are I would have in a couple of days anyways just to see what the XP install was like.) I now remember why I have always put my computers together myself instead of buying a prebuilt system.

I feel I need to send a letter to this company, explaining the situation, and asking what kind of quality control they actually have.

First Impression of XP, hmmm setup is simple, stick the CD in, boot from CD, format drive, They install what they want, Instant OS, just add computer.

Second impression it's ummm well... bubbly. I personally don't care for the Rounded corners on the windows, it's not bad once set back to the Windows Classic, which is easy to do.

I hear ya Melcar, those companies sometimes make a habit of quick copying an image of the OS and programs into the machine instead of installing it.

I once fixed a friend's system (a Gateway of all things) that had just come in... all the things installed on his windows did not even exist on his box.. he had icons and start menu programs for many programs (incidentally sold by GW separately as value packs) but they weren't installed.

We called the tech support up to let have them note in their system's of what had happened and that we had simply formatted the sucker and installed the stuff manually...getting the machine to work properly after that.

Give tech support a call Melcar, just having that in their notes left by the techs is a good backup. Any problems you may (and I hope you dont) have concerning that, they will be able to see that it was reported INSIDE the warranty period.

And we all know how PC's just love to crap out the day after warranty expires.