No Enemy In Ep#2 Mission #1?

actrade

I hope no one has already discussed this, but this is weird. I have installed and reinstalled the demo, installed the 4th mission, but when I run the 1st mission on demo #2, the enemy carrier that is supposed to show up around 13:05 game time never does. Any answers?

No, I'm not cloaked. As far as the enemy carrier, according to the instructions, it should arrive and doesn't. I admit, I'm a newbie, but I spent all day looking through the discussions, revision history and FAQ with no luck. What am I doing wrong? I want to see that carrier attack my spacestation.

I finally found out it comes at 13:15, not 13:05 as the tutorial suggests. Look guys, I'm new to the BC series and am a long time flight simmer. I've seen the board "grognards" abuse new players for years, only to the detriment of the whole genre. I asked a simple question only after surfing and reading for a day. Did no one know the answer, or was it just easier to post unhelpful answers? I'm trying to like this game and have already ordered it from EB and I'd really appreciate it if everyone would be constructive with their responses. I've seen SC verbally lash people asking questions that are in the tutorial/version revison, which I can't say I blame him, but when the tutorial is wrong, what's a newbie to do?

I don't know why your backhairs are getting up. Gallion gave a pointer to your problem, which you referenced to yourself. (a bit dumb IMO, but I'm like that all the time) And then later I tried to creatively point out that it was not about you but the (quite possibly) cloaked enemy vessel. If your experience is that it was not cloaked but you got it anyway, then bad initial insight from a vet (unlikely, as Gallion probably knows the script), but we're all happy in the end, right?

BTW Why are you 'trying to like the game', when you have allready ordered. Not so wise action I'd say. Please make me understand why you did that.

Also read Elenkis post. There are a million things that can be the reason for the delay. (well, ok, maybe a bit of an exageration) The ship doesn't get there at once you know. Has some distance to travel(and hyperjump takes a fair amount of time) It's not you average space shooter magically-Poofff-"There they are". (perhaps in this instance, but I don't know that script, or have played it in a while)

quote:

Originally posted by actrade:

I finally found out it comes at 13:15, not 13:05 as the tutorial suggests. Look guys, I'm new to the BC series and am a long time flight simmer. I've seen the board "grognards" abuse new players for years, only to the detriment of the whole genre. I asked a simple question only after surfing and reading for a day. Did no one know the answer, or was it just easier to post unhelpful answers? I'm trying to like this game and have already ordered it from EB and I'd really appreciate it if everyone would be constructive with their responses. I've seen SC verbally lash people asking questions that are in the tutorial/version revison, which I can't say I blame him, but when the tutorial is wrong, what's a newbie to do?

1. Here is what the tutorial says

Around 13:05 game time, a hostile carrier will warp into the region

To me (and probably to any grognard), this means that the timing is not exact.

2. In the time it took you to install and uninstall, you could've spent that extra 10 mins actually playing the game rather than expecting the unexpected

3. If there was no tutorial, you wouldn't have known about the specifics of that craft any way.

4. Its a demo.

As to the rest of your rhetoric, I'm just going to ignore it for now because not only is it rubbish (don't buy the game - frankly, I don't give a toss. go cancel your order), it is fraught with inaccuracies.

Thats that

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by actrade:

Did no one know the answer, or was it just easier to post unhelpful answers?

Actrade, let me assure you there's a lot of support for newbies in this forum from the vet commanders. We all were once newbies and like to help out if we can.

Don't be afraid to ask your questions. Someone will try to help.

Also, keep in mind that the SC doesn't have the time to babysit everyone around here. He already spends a lot of time reading and posting on this forum, I don't think any other developer in the industry comes even close to this level of involvement with the fan base.

Pretty much every vet here has had their share of the "RTFM" from time to time, specially the beta testers

Just keep asking your questions, don't worry if they may be silly. The worst thing that can happen to you is to get an RTFM. Just don't take it personal and you'll be fine.

Enjoy this great game

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Hector Socas Navarro ]

Wow! Mum is the word here. I hope the manual is clear as I won't ask questions here again! Holy cow, I mean I'm a newbie, spent hours and I mean hours reading the control file trying to find the answer to my question. After reading many posts in this forum, I saw what happens to people who ask stupid questions, generally they are verbally abused, so I made a point not to post until I was literally pulling my hair out "trying to like the game." What do I mean by that? Well, I've never played any of the BC series and was impressed with what I read about it and decided to order the game on faith, prior to even downloading the demo, which took forever on my poor 56k connection. I guess it's my fault for taking the tutorial too literally, as the enemy cruiser shows up around 13:15 consistently instead of "around 13:05", which I took literally. As far as the responses suggesting the enemy was cloaked, I guess I thought the poster was messing with me as I wasn't aware that the scenario was dynamic and that sometimes the enemy can be cloaked and sometimes it isn't as the poster suggests. Sorry for the rhubarb guys, I'll just figure it out myself from here on. Thanks.

quote:

I guess it's my fault for taking the tutorial too literally, as the enemy cruiser shows up around 13:15 consistently instead of "around 13:05", which I took literally.

The tutorial covers several IA missions from the full game, not the demo missions found in Episode 2 - Just as it talks about features that aren't implemented in the demo (eg: clicking on targets in the tacscan radar to select them).

Not a flame or anything, just pointing out that the tutorial is for the full game and covers things not found in the demo (though it is still the best way to learn to play the demo)

You were following the tutorial for BCIA0012, the demo scenario is BCIA0015 (according to the VCF). Also note that it says things such as "The Warmonger, being a cruiser, has no fighters, so there is an icon missing." when in the demo scenario you actually have a BCMK2 with 4 fighters

Well being somewhat of a clueless newbie myself, I didn't realise that there are two tutorial files out there. There's a demo tutorial at: http://www.3000ad.com/demo/bcmdemo.html which covers the scenarios found in both Ep.1 and Ep.2 - I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even notice this when I downloaded the demo.

Then there is the full game tutorial at: http://www.3000ad.com/files/bcmtutorial.html which is what I used to get to grips with the game.

So my apologies, it seems you were looking at the correct tutorial and I wasn't. Oh well, you live and you learn

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Elenkis ]

Well that settles that, doesn't it?

And quite frankly, how ANYONE could confuse the tutorials, eludes me. I mean, it IS linked to from the downloads page on the site.

Further, OBVIOUSLY as a demo, it is not expected to reflect the final game - hence there being TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TUTORIALS. In fact, the final game's tutorial is NOT even linked anywhere on the downloads page because the game is NOT yet released.

Look, I know most of you are used to the chaos present on other gaming forums. You will NOT find that here and we do NOT tolerate it. If being corrected gets your feelings hurt...

DON'T COME TO THE FORUM!!

NOBODY is here to babysit anyone above and beyond the norm.

And you won't finding anyone chanting koomabaya when someone asks stupid questions.

The very aspect of BUYING and PLAYING a BC game, indicates a level of intellect, discipline and respect. As such, even a newbie will be new only to the game itself and hopefully not new to the very concept of how to use common sense and the tremendous amount of resources already available.

It is OK to ask questions. Yes, even stupid ones. Its when we see posts like what actrade writes, that gets on people's nerves. In fact, I am deliberately leaving his posts up (normally, they'd be deleted) so that others can see just what the heck we're dealing with.

There is a distinct difference between being

(a) a clueless newbie

and a

(B) smart ass.

The first category, we can deal with. The second are a lost cause and do NOT belong here - whether you have the game or not.

As for you actrade, I don't know WHAT your problem is. But I'm watching you.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Elenkis:

Well being somewhat of a clueless newbie myself, I didn't realise that there are two tutorial files out there. There's a demo tutorial at:
http://www.3000ad.com/demo/bcmdemo.html
which covers the scenarios found in both Ep.1 and Ep.2 - I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even notice this when I downloaded the demo.

Then there is the full game tutorial at:
http://www.3000ad.com/files/bcmtutorial.html
which is what I used to get to grips with the game.

So my apologies, it seems you were looking at the correct tutorial and I wasn't. Oh well, you live and you learn

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Elenkis ]

No problem. I'm quite impressed actually. Very good. You're getting the hang of it.