Organization

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

I don't see why that is necessary. There CAN be multiple corporations, but why can't each division be such as a fleet wing with its own leadership?

Right, I think I see what you mean.

Its just that I'm concerned about the board of directors which consists of minimally 5 persons (as was suggested).

If, for example, a corporation is allowed with a corporate division for traders and that division can be composed of only 1 trader, then the problem does not exist.

Other traders can then join at a later stage and I do not have to wait until I can interest other traders.

About having 1 leader for a corporation; The division falls under the 'control' of the overall corporation so that is not the case either.

If I misunderstood, please let me know

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone was saying you had to wait until you had five members onboard before a corp or division could be started. Just that once membership was up you should have that many people in control. One person should not be in control of a corp. A division would be ok, since the "board of directors" have overiding authority.

quote:

Originally posted by Malleus Malefictorum:

I don't think anyone was saying you had to wait until you had five members onboard before a corp or division could be started. Just that once membership was up you should have that many people in control. One person should not be in control of a corp. A division would be ok, since the "board of directors" have overiding authority.

No problem then. Thanks for clarifying it.

Now, as for Commander Eu's call for indie commanders to join a corporation: count me in!

Just to quickly put you guys out of your misery....

Aramike is correct on all points. I don't have time to elaborate. Look at the time!

As far as corps go, they won't be like fleets - at all. And they won't have access to any armed crafts. For one thing, when you log on to a BCM server, you have to choose your race, caste and then fleet/corp/none etc. Which then determine which crafts you have access to.

Mercs are not a government and while they are basically, similar to bounty hunters, nothing is stopping a group of players from co-operating on their own. The game, nor the system or the BC universe, will recognize them as anything other than indie mercs.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive Derek mentioned that cargo (for sure) and creds (possibly) could be put into a cargo pod and dropped off as payment.

That is correct. Even BCM multiplayer will have player-to-player cargo/galcred exchange

but no npc transactions (thats for GCO). Once two ships open up communications, a transaction window will open up and thats how cargo/money are handled. The transporter is used for sending cargo across. And you can also use a cargo pod...assuming the idiot at the other end of the phone, trusts you enough.

quote:

For one thing, when you log on to a BCM server, you have to choose your race, caste and then fleet/corp/none etc. Which then determine which crafts you have access to.

What corporations would be available to choose from. Will you make them up, or can we create one or more and these will be included in the list?

quote:

Will you make them up, or can we create one or more and these will be included in the list?

I think that's the point of being here in this indie-forum. Once you have your corp formulated and doesn't go against the regulations of the BCM universe, AND it stays solid (an active and breathing organisation) having a descend lifetime allready, THEN your corp might get to be put on the server fleet/corp list.

Atleast, that's my interpretation of policy on this board. The SC or CAT (or whoever is controling the particular server) is not going to keep pushing and pulling new corps on and off that list all the time. You'll have to make sure you are worth it by standing the test of time. But I may be wrong on this.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

Let’s get down to the fundamentals, as I have stated in my earlier post, I’m planning to name the new organization “Intercorp Unlimited” unless anyone would like to offer a better name.

Also stated are the main goals of the organization, which is to provide a one-stop service for all potential clients. Even though there are many races that comprises the indies, I feel that at the moment there is no necessity (due to the severe lack of numbers) to just commit the organization to a single caste. There will be however, separate divisions based upon the different jobs that are available. The divisions are as follows:-

Commercial Division

Traders Division

Paramedics Division

Explorers Division

Scientists Division

Diplomats Division

Assassins Division

Mercenaries Division

HR Division

As Nova suggested there should be a board of directors, whereby a director or a couple of directors are to be elected to be the chief liaison officer of each division. The names for the directors would be as follows:-

Director(s) of Services for the Commercial, Traders and Paramedics Divisions - 3

Director(s) of Information for the Explorers and Scientists Divisions - 2

Director(s) of Liaisons for the Diplomats Division - 1

Director(s) of Operations for the Mercenaries and Raiders Divisions - 2

Director(s) of Assassins - 1

Director(s) of Human Resource for the HR Division - 2

Please remember that these names are just placeholders until someone can come up with a better name. Also the number of directors may depend on the number of members that are in each division (the numbers to the right of each director is my recommended number of directors at startup). Of course the recruits division is an artificial one J it is just a temporary division for all newcomers or vets that require a quick refresher course on the game world, its history and etc. I think all members of the HR division would be already registered as member in their appropriate caste divisions to but are just temporarily on inactive status.

This part of my organizational plans. More to be posted later. As always I’m open for better suggestions and all opinions or criticisms

Like I said, count me in.

'Intercorp Unlimited' sounds good to me.

Now, to avoid doing things that you are already preparing;

You propose 9 divisions in 5 branches (excludng the HR division).

I could try to write a charter for the Services branch (commercial/trader/paramedic).

Let me know if you haven't done so already.

About the corporation history (and its place in RP/MP): Is it possible to start a rp thread about the foundation of the corporation? It would give everybody a chance to shape the corporations history.

As I see it, if we can create a history in RP then the corporation's use in MP/GCO can be derived from that.

I've got some ideas about that. Nothing definite, I'm still researching Desilva's timeline. Interested? Contact me ([email protected]).

EDIT: added email, guess it's in my profile, but this is easier.

Hey someone rated me

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

*applauds* Keep it going guys!

On a side note, I don't recall me saying anything about a board of directors, but oh well......

-----

And Riga (and everyone else directly related to the project), you're welcome, for the rating. You guys deserved it.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

*applauds* Keep it going guys!

On a side note, I don't recall me saying anything about a board of directors, but oh well......

Never mind, seems to become accepted terminology

BTW, Malleus was the first to use it.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

Riga, my man, I could kiss you.

You're welcome to be the first Director of Services . Just tell me how you want to organise your division, okay? We'll try to add in more directors if it is required. Yes, I intend to start a RP thread so that we carve the organisation's history into part of the BC lore. I also intend to set up a web site for the organisation however, that's still up in the air as I have not have any other responses other than yourself. I think we should try to fill up all the Director positions first before we start going into RP and a website. But that doesn't mean that you can't start working out how you want things done

I forgot to mention one other thing all members can be volunteer trainers in the HR Division if they want to. This will enable constant players to help any newbie if they so desire.

That's my say for now. Gotta run, my boss is coming around to my table

BTW Nova Thanks for the rating

I had said Board of Directors, because it had been posted that their shouldn't be one person it charge of the whole shebang. I would volunteer for the mercs division, but I haven't had enough time around the game yet. Which brings up another point, Raiders should NOT be included in a corp. Similar to having a thievery division.

LMAO, a thievery division! I don't think badly of Raiders, though.. Its down to the opinion of the folks who put the place together, what they accept and don't accept. Some raiders may be good, though. RP wise, the "Big Indie 3" (mercs, assassins, raiders), could possibly be joined, sorta............

Just a personal thing, but there is the potential for mercs getting contracts for certain assassins/raiders, how will such events fit into this coorporation thingy? A coorporation/guild is all well and good for traders, explorers etc, but the more aggressive indie castes could cause a lot of problems. I choose to be an assassin, because I didn't want to be controlled by a commander or chairman, whatever you want to call it. I appreciate somewhere to drop in, stock up and find work, but no-one is gonna tell me I have to abide by a code of conduct. By definition, I don't think assassins have a code of conduct. You want someone dead? Name your price, be it a troublesome raider, a holier than thou merc, or an over zealous policeman. It might not make me popular, but what assassins are popular?

I hope I'm not missing the point. I just don't think I should have to follow someone elses rules to pick up contracts.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

Look, Paddy no one is forcing you to do anything. If you want to join, then by all means, you're sincerely welcomed for any or all contributions you do make. If you want to play it solo, then make it so. I think Nova and Aramike has made it clear that there's no governing body and that's not what this organisation is about. Think of us as your average run-of-the-mill company out to make a living with plenty of subsidiaries.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Jeffery Eu:

Riga, my man, I could kiss you.

You're welcome to be the first Director of Services . Just tell me how you want to organise your division, okay?

I've been working on some material, but it's still on my home computer, so I'll post that tonight.

I've been working on a charter for traders, a ranking system (experience based, not authority based).

quote:

Yes, I intend to start a RP thread so that we carve the organisation's history into part of the BC lore.

I've been investigating Desylva's RP timeline, and I think I have found the proper times in which we can 'setup shop'.

quote:

I also intend to set up a web site for the organisation however, that's still up in the air

Let us just get some webspace where we can put 'future home of Intercorp Unlimited', and work from there.

quote:

I think we should try to fill up all the Director positions first before we start going into RP and a website. But that doesn't mean that you can't start working out how you want things done

Okidoki, but let's not wait until all director posts are filled for the RP to start. Maybe wait until 3 or 4 are filled in. Starting a RP thread might just draw enough attention for someone to _become_ a director.

quote:

I forgot to mention one other thing all members can be volunteer trainers in the HR Division if they want to. This will enable constant players to help any newbie if they so desire.

The more, the better

quote:

Originally posted by Malleus Malefictorum:

I had said Board of Directors, because it had been posted that their shouldn't be one person it charge of the whole shebang. I would volunteer for the mercs division, but I haven't had enough time around the game yet. Which brings up another point, Raiders should NOT be included in a corp. Similar to having a thievery division.

Hmm, I'm still an Ensign and basically just fiddling around. If I make a mistake, one of the veterans will correct me and I'll just (try to) listen what they have to say.

Just go for it. The Merc division is waiting for you (unless you want it Jeffery, I actually do not know your caste )

EDIT: Jeffery is a merc. Well, let's see who's prepared to pay to kill the other

About caste exclusion. I think that both Raiders and Police cannot be part of the corporation. If you want to be a 'raiding' member, just become a merc.

Having the police in the corporation creates conflict of interest issues.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Jeffery Eu:

Think of us as your average run-of-the-mill company out to make a living with plenty of subsidiaries.

I'm all for that, but would I have to be a member of this Coorporation to take advantage of it? It just seemed that some people were getting bogged down in an all-governing body with a set organisation and leadership, which to me is the antithesis of an independant way of life. If it boils down to a loose association whicj facilitates picking up spare parts, contracts etc, then that's fine. To me it doesn't make sense to have say mercs and raiders part of the same organisation when they would probably be out to kick $hit out of each other for a good part of the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

I'm all for that, but would I have to be a member of this Coorporation to take advantage of it? It just seemed that some people were getting bogged down in an all-governing body with a set organisation and leadership, which to me is the antithesis of an independant way of life. If it boils down to a loose association whicj facilitates picking up spare parts, contracts etc, then that's fine. To me it doesn't make sense to have say mercs and raiders part of the same organisation when they would probably be out to kick $hit out of each other for a good part of the time.

As I see it, you do not have to be a member.

The corporation is an entity that does not control its members, merely provides services and support where needed. If you are not a member the corporation is still prepared to help you (at a greater price though )

Yes, the corporation and its divisions have a set organisation and leadership. However, that only applies to the corporation itself and its assets, but _not_ to its members.

On the other hand. If you enter one of its bases, then you are to adhere to the local rules (no military spacevessels allowed, station defense are!)

On the other hand, if you're low on cash and you are looking for a lucrative contract, then you do not have to look far, just stop by at one of our divisions.

Being a member might give you an edge because all available information is relayed sooner or the right persons are tracked more easily.

Still, it's your choice. I have no objection to helping you out even if you're not a member. That will earn me more...

OK Riga, thanks. I think I get the idea a bit better now. I see the incentive for becoming a member, but what's in it for the coorporation itself? More customers at reduced rates? Then that makes sense, as long as the coorporation (can't you think of a better description; association? society? union?) doesn't require it's members to do anything else except be customers.

What about the merc and raider / assassin conflict I mentioned before? I would hate to check the job boards and see a contract out on myself, with half-a-dozen mercs waiting for me (having just checked the board themselves) once I leave the safety of a station.

And Riga, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, deal?

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

OK Riga, thanks. I think I get the idea a bit better now. I see the incentive for becoming a member, but what's in it for the coorporation itself? More customers at reduced rates?

I've scribbled down most of the details, but that's on my computer at home. Will post that tonight. In short, the corporation gets a fee for their services. Most of that will be invested again in the corporation (infrastructure, information supply, communications, etc) so that members can benefit even more. The remaining part... Well, directors need a salary as well

quote:

Then that makes sense, as long as the coorporation (can't you think of a better description; association? society? union?)

SC calls it a corporation, who am I to call it something else

quote:

What about the merc and raider / assassin conflict I mentioned before? I would hate to check the job boards and see a contract out on myself, with half-a-dozen mercs waiting for me (having just checked the board themselves) once I leave the safety of a station.

AFAIK, raiders are not part of the corporation (maybe the other directors will allow them). The the merc/assassin conflict remains. Both parties are not in the same division, and if the are smart on a different base!

Now for seeing your name on the jobs boards. Disclosure normally only after you accept the job

quote:

And Riga, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, deal?

Scratch my back with what? A gun?

Then again... Sure, why not!

Sounds like quite an interesting undertaking!

A Corporation where contracts/jobs/services and or other things FOR A PRICEare provided! Those who are in the corp get a better prices for there services, those who are not, still can find work but for not the best price.

A logo, a website and home base of operations, sounds great!

A charter for the Corp to follow; don't make it to technical, we are Independents, we answer to know one, that's why we didn't join a fleet.

For the whole part, a division of castes or soughts is ok, but too much organization makes us more like a fleet. But the diversity in races will keep us apart.

For example: If I have a contract (all hypotheticcl), and I am returning to say home base, and I see a couple of Gammulan ships beating up a Galcom Terran trader vessel, because I am a Terran, by choice, and yet the Galcom is in the Corporation, who is to say, I can't open fire on the Gammulan vessels and save the Terran Galcom vessels in order to make a buck, because I am a Mercenary? And Interesting point? Does that then get me in trouble with the Corp and possibly a bounty on my head?

All in all, count me in.