3000AD Official UC Multiplayer Servers

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to go with Hypernia.Net for the servers and I have been testing their service this past week or more.

The servers are running WIN2K Server 2003, on P4 3 Ghz w/HT with 1GB DDR400 RAM

All four servers are scheduled to go online on April 1st (no, seriously).

I have given access to the servers to Prime Fleet (don't you wish you were in a fleet?) for testing until they go live to the public.

All four servers should be showing up on the server browser, but below is the direct info.

SERVER1 - 66.250.220.131 : 2302

SERVER2 - 66.250.220.132 : 2302

SERVER3 - 66.250.220.133 : 2302

SERVER4 - 66.250.220.134 : 2302

Check with your fleet leaders for the server password.

These servers are running 1.00.02 RC8 Build 003

[ 03-30-2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 1 month later...

The servers are now running 2.00.01. There is an mp only update available via the registration login page.

Hopefully this fixes the time synch (see VCF) problem which causes the display to stop being updated (this to you, comes as a major fps drop) frequently, resulting in your using CTRL+ALT+DEL as the only option to quit and re-join the server.

Will be working over the weekend to resolve this and other time synch issues (mostly on the planet) for a minor mp only release later.

Guest Shingen

I was just on server 4 for about 30 minutes. No one else was online, I got no disconnects nor CTDs, but the autogen NPC ships were just hyperjumping around. They all had strike orders, but none had targets. Also they wouldn't engage my fighters at all. Just sat there and went boom!

One Aestrom went boom and the shuttle it launched didn't move or select a RTB destination. It died.

Sent my shuttle to pickup about 4 cargopods, but all were empty.

Read the VCF, but didn't see any mention of any of the above.

Any reason the server keeps disconnecting??

[ 05-08-2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

Hi Folks,

Glad that the server filled up yesterday. Had seen it online all day but didnÔÇÖt see anybody until the evening ( W-Europe time zone ). Quite a blast to play with NI ( natural intelligence ), sure gives the game a new dimension.

You really had to keep your eyes peeled trying to follow the chat, the ship and check on the tactical situation. Before you know it your shields are gone, the list of damaged components fly by, nothing seems to work and finally you get a personal cremation with the rest of your crew as your ship explodes ( sound familiar ? )

Thought up for discussion:

Chatscreen:

During the game it seemed as if all special movement ( hyperdrive and zone changing ) were displayed from all players visible to all ( or did I misinterpret this?)

Hyperdrive actions themselves are no big deal but mp zone transitions seemed to give away any fleet actions.

Player List:

When viewing the playerlist it is also stated in what mp the player is in. Is this real-time live information or a last known position? Same point at the chat screen concerning ÔÇÿclassifiedÔÇÖ fleet information. Per team -> no problem. If all can see it sure takes out the element of surprise.

Looking forward to the next meetings! SC, good luck with the mp issues. IÔÇÖm still enjoying the massive improvements from the latest patch!

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

I was just on server 4 for about 30 minutes. No one else was online, I got no disconnects nor CTDs, but the autogen NPC ships were just hyperjumping around. They all had strike orders, but none had targets. Also they wouldn't engage my fighters at all. Just sat there and went boom!

One Aestrom went boom and the shuttle it launched didn't move or select a RTB destination. It died.

Sent my shuttle to pickup about 4 cargopods, but all were empty.

Read the VCF, but didn't see any mention of any of the above.

Any reason the server keeps disconnecting??

I changed their rules in mp and I didn't have time to actually see how they performed with the new rules. I will look into this at some point but for now, they're just fodder. I DO know that they will engage, as evident in last afternoon's session (before you came on).

Cargo pods aren't supposed to be created in mp. They only happened to be created because you destroyed an NPC. I will see if I can get them to contain items as they do in sp.

Hence the reason have AG turned on at the server, is an option and not an actually supported feature. I only put that in for folks who wanted to play co-op etc.

quote:

Originally posted by M.W.G:

Thought up for discussion:

Chatscreen:

During the game it seemed as if all special movement ( hyperdrive and zone changing ) were displayed from all players visible to all ( or did I misinterpret this?)

Hyperdrive actions themselves are no big deal but mp zone transitions seemed to give away any fleet actions.

Player List:

When viewing the playerlist it is also stated in what mp the player is in. Is this real-time live information or a last known position? Same point at the chat screen concerning ?classified? fleet information. Per team -> no problem. If all can see it sure takes out the element of surprise.

Looking forward to the next meetings! SC, good luck with the mp issues. I?m still enjoying the massive improvements from the latest patch!

The hyperdrive, zone changes etc, are sent by the server and don't affect anything AFAIK. Its not like you can hide forever.

The SHIFT+ESC client list just lists players, where they are etc. I have no plans to change it, other than to add more info such as asset, rank, EPs etc.

And speaking of chat, a bunch of people were asking yesterday on the server, how to scroll the chat message log. This information is in the UC_MANUAL_REVISIONS file as well as the VCF.

Here is an excerpt.

quote:

The following keys are used to navigate the chat log window when open. In order to use these keys, the chat window (ESC) must be open. But instead of typing a chat message, just use the keys to scroll the chat message window.

Not sure if its clear or not, but basically in order to scroll the list, the chat window should be open (as if you want to type in a message). Unless that window is open, the keys will not work because they are out of scope and do other things.

e.g. in Tacops, if you use UP/DOWN with the message log open and the chat window closed, you will pan the view since Tacops uses those keys. So, you have to press ESC to open the chat window, then use the UP/DOWN keys to scroll the chat message log.

Guest Shingen

quote:

I changed their rules in mp and I didn't have time to actually see how they performed with the new rules. I will look into this at some point but for now, they're just fodder. I DO know that they will engage, as evident in last afternoon's session (before you came on).

The PTAs for crusiers and Carriers do engage, but the NPCs aren't acquiring targets, so fighters don't engage, and shuttles don't RTB...at least in my observations.

Damn good patch though...I can't seem to quit playing!

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

quote:

The PTAs for crusiers and Carriers do engage, but the NPCs aren't acquiring targets, so fighters don't engage, and shuttles don't RTB...at least in my observations.

Yeah, thats what I expected. In fact, I noticed yesterday on the mp servers, that the current target info in the VDD is also blank for some reason. I think that packet info is not being sent. Anyway, its in the VCF.

quote:

Damn good patch though...I can't seem to quit playing!

heh, given time, this is close to how the game should have been originally released. Oh well, at least I didn't abandon it, like most devs/pubs would - and it still cost me a ton of money and resources to develop this patch. Even had to purchase a license to use the Bionatics natFX trees etc.

Played any of the new IA scenarios yet?

Guest Shingen

You read my mind!

( as posted on c.s.i.p.g.s-s )

quote:

For those who actually play this game:

Universal Combat 2.0 is in my opinion the very best version of BC to date. Anyone looking for a good open-ended, fictional space-sim that gives full control of gameplay experiences, should purchase this game, and though most here will disagree, I think that Derek deserves due credit for what he had done with this title.

It's not an easy game, it's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good game.

It will run without fail as I've been playing this version for going on 40+ hours.

It will run in a window and ALT-TAB ( as I've been tabbing to the VCF and FAQ during play).

The MP isn't all together yet ( IMHO ), but it's working, and will most probably be fixed in due course.

Anyone that was burned by the BC3K 1.0 fiasco, and wants to find out what BC should've been... now's your chance.

Damn fine work, and kudos to you and your team.

Thanks!! Well then, you should be over here.

Anyway, mp still has some quirks (yesterday, I was actually shocked to find that towing, which used to work before, was broken as a result of the new client/server architecture) which I am working to resolve atm. I only released this patch because the game has been selling pretty well and I didn't want to starve the single player gamers for too long.

Because this is such a major patch, all tweaks, fixes etc for mp will be made available via smaller patches (e.g. 2.00.01) via the reg page, until the final official 2.01.00 patch is released.

Guest Shingen

I don't know if this is news or not, but from my last visit to Server4, all of the NPC were stuck in hyperspace, looping back and forth.

I think I'll stick to the non-npc servers till you get it fixed.

FYI,

There seems to be a HW problem with SERVER4 (it is the only server which is not the same as the other 3) and Hypernia will be replacing it later this week. During the transition, that server will be down.

We have determined that the stuck in hyperspace issue is related to the graphics server not observing some regions. This means that if the HJ fx is playing in those regions (the server can only visually monitor one region at at time, in this case Procon), they - along with the timer for them - will not be updated. This is why ships (including NPCs) appear to be in a perpetual HJ state. The console server does not do any graphics processing and thus does not seem to have this problem.

For this reason, until this issue is sorted out, all public servers are now running in console mode.

I just updated the servers to use the 2.00.03 refresh patch. If you were on SERVER4 a few mins ago when it disconnected, that was me. Sorry; there is no way to send a server message in console mode.