XFire - Instant Messenger For Gamers

With the imminent release of the 1.00.02 patch and the four servers going public, some of you might want to consider checking out XFire as I am planning on getting them to add support for UC.

I will also be adding an XFire field to the forum profile.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kenny87

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The Xfire guys will be putting in support for UC within two weeks they say.

These guys don't happen to play alot of online flight sims do they?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried XFire, but it doesn't launch UC mp version correctly (at least I can't get it to launch).

It launches sp mainmenu in some strange way when I select launch Universal Combat multiplayer, so that I can't start a game with it, game just crash to desktop.

Could someone confirm this. I already sent them a message about it.

I have it. It works with Sho. He's my only friend at the moment.

What I did was ran thru the start menu to join MP server and copied (drug and copied) back to the start. Instead of depending on XFire or anything to start MP I just click start and the icon is up there with IE and Windows update.

The xfire path found in Tools/Find installed games is shown as "C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat" so apperently it just grabs the first exe which makes single player the operable exe for both singleplay and multiplay.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

What I did was ran thru the start menu to join MP server and copied (drug and copied) back to the start.

Gee, that was a clear as mud.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

The xfire path found in Tools/Find installed games is shown as "C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat" so apperently it just grabs the first exe which makes single player the operable exe for both singleplay and multiplay.

Which of course is wrong. Can it be changed in XFire to the correct path+exe?

quote:

The list of programs on the Start menu is divided into two parts: the programs displayed above the separator line (also known as the pinned items list) and the programs displayed below the separator line (also known as the most frequently used programs list). The programs on the pinned items list remain there and are always available for you to click to start them. You can add programs to the pinned items list. For more information, click Related Topics.

Click Start, All programs, navigate to the Join MP Server shortcut and drag it back to the pinned Items list.

Better I hope.

quote:

Which of course is wrong. Can it be changed in XFire to the correct path+exe?

I cannot find any way for the user to edit the paths.

Ok i looked into this and got it launching correctly:

1. search your computer for the file "ua_plugin.ini" (should be in theXfire main directory)

2. open the file

3. search for "universal" or scrolls down till you find "Universal Combat Multiplayer"

4. find the line called "LauncherNetworkArgs" in the UCMP section

5. add "+connect " to the start of the line it should look like this when you are done:

code:

LauncherNetworkArgs="+connect %UA_GAME_HOST_NAME%:%UA_GAME_HOST_PORT% %UA_LAUNCHER_PASSWORD_ARGS%"

6. save the file

you should be able to properly launch UCMP from Xfire. I tried this out with Chavik last night and it worked. Hope this helps. As a side, Xfire was launching the proper exe, just didn't have the proper connect instructions.

Thnx Eclipse! I already uninstalled it, but now I'm going to intall it again.

BTW, did you give XFire a notice of the ini file edit, so they can correct it in the next upgrade?

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Ok i looked into this and got it launching correctly:

I contacted them last night and got an email this morning from Chris.

quote:

As for getting Universal Combat to work, I'm not sure how our tester dealt with it. The .ini entry is in the ua_plugin.ini file, and for Universal Combat it looks like this:

[4211]

LongName=Universal Combat Multiplayer

ShortName=ucmp

Icon=uc.ico

LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE3000adUniversal Combatpath

LauncherExe=ucmp.exe

LauncherPasswordArgs=+password "%UA_GAME_HOST_PASSWORD%"

LauncherNetworkArgs=%UA_GAME_HOST_NAME%:%UA_GAME_HOST_PORT% %UA_LAUNCHER_PASSWORD_ARGS%

InstallHint=

Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%

ServerStatusType=FARCRY

CanBeUpForGame=TRUE

I'm assuming the Launch line needs a /c in it somewhere? If you can tell us exactly how to modify the entry, then we can be sure it works the next version. You can even modify that entry in your own installation of Xfire, then restart Xfire, and see if it works. Sorry about the mistake,

Chris

I will be passing along the info you posted, to them now. Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

Any news about when you will add the XFire entry into our profile page so we can all be one happy little family, SC?

LOL!!! OK, will do that now

Man, you guys, you guys.

I couldn't get XFire to work with parameters Eclipse suggested. I don't know why it works with Eclipse and Chavik and not in my machine. Instead I added "/c" to the line in the same ua_plugin.ini file:

code:

Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS% /c

So the whole UCMP entry should look like this:

code:

[4211]

LongName=Universal Combat Multiplayer

ShortName=ucmp

Icon=uc.ico

LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE3000adUniversal Combatpath

LauncherExe=ucmp.exe

LauncherPasswordArgs=+password "%UA_GAME_HOST_PASSWORD%"

LauncherNetworkArgs=%UA_GAME_HOST_NAME%:%UA_GAME_HOST_PORT% %UA_LAUNCHER_PASSWORD_ARGS%

InstallHint=

Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS% /c

ServerStatusType=FARCRY

CanBeUpForGame=TRUE

...and now it works