Chat box in MP displays too much info

I believe the chat box in MP needs to be tweaked so that the chat box does not reveal a persons position all the time. For example: If you go through a jump gate or jump point, the point at which you leave is displayed as well as the destination. This does not help in stategic and tactical attacks on the enemy. This is especially true when you are trying to sneak into a sector under cloaked conditions. It makes it hard when an enemy is already waiting for you to enter the sector to really gain an advantage on somebody.

Also this is a minor issue with stategic movements in MP and should not be consider in any way as a necessary change, but would be nice to be able to move freely while under cloak without the enemy nowing almost every place you have gone and when to expect you to be near them. This is especially true for Wraith Fleet (which is of course the fleet I am member of). Wraith was designed specifically to be a fleet of infilitrators, shadows, or "sneaks" if you would. So this sort of cuts down the sole purpose of some fleets and their strategic importance.

So if any body feels the same way or just thinks that the chat box is fine please help with this idea by posting your opinions.

Thank you,

Captain Reed of the GCV-Athens.

Maybe only friends.....neutrals can use this info to help but also to damage you.....after all they're neutrals.....

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

.....neutrals can use this info to help but also to damage you.....after all they're neutrals.....

No they can't. Unless you are playing as a Raider. In which case, thats your problem and I don't plan on making any special case exclusions for that.

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

As I see it, its adds even more realism if Raiders can see everyone's position.

They're Raiders after all and need a fair chance too, they already have their hands full with being massively outnumbered!

Well, thanks!

However, you run the risk of having your post deleted.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

They're Raiders after all and need a fair chance too, they already have their hands full with being massively outnumbered!

Well, thanks!

No he doesn't. He posted on topic. You didn't. So I deleted your post.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

Well, thanks!

I disagree. My post was on topic.

I simply said that if you are going to truncate the server info, you may consider modifing the cloaking, per your earlier post in a another forum.

Just so us Raiders have a chance.

[ 07-19-2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Cc ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

Well, thanks!

I simply said that if you are going to truncate the server info, you may consider modifing the cloaking, per your earlier post in a another forum.

I would have to agree with Cc here. I see no real reason for changing it in the first place. Even with the knowledge that there is a cloaked ship in the region, it is still difficult to find the exact place they are hiding.

Well as I am quite new to the games created by Mr. Smart, but what I have observed from playing the MP is that when a raider such as jamotto himself will go into hyper space as soon as I enter hyper space while in the same sector as him. This means that now I have to play a game of cat and mouse leaving me with little choice but to deactivate my cloak just to get him to stop jumping all over to get away and wear down the use of my cloak. By leaving the chat box the way it is just makes it not worth using the cloak if you can't use it to sneak up on your prey.

Now I do agree with the idea of adjusting the cloak to compensate for the change of the chat box. With the cloak changed to maybe deactivate before it burns out or something like that might make it more of a challenge to do a sneak attack because of the limited amount of time before cloak becomes inactive. So as when the meter indicating how high the radiation level is that is being created by the cloak gets above 100% then the cloak should probably have a fail safe inserted to deactivate or maybe even make the cloak fluxuate from the radiation interference which would force the commander of the vessel to deactivate it. (Now those of you who are saying this is off topic....well this topic was created by me so I am adding it in because it is a good point for balancing the sides. )

Thanks again,

Captain Reed of the GCV-Athens

I hear the stick coming.....

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Since I suggested in chat (SC can check the log) that Reed post this I feel some responsibilty.

What's fair and balanced?

Derek has said that he worked hard to make multiplay exactly, so much as he can, like single play. Somewhere. Does Single play display every movement of every ship? No. The only clue you get about cloaked ship in the region is perhaps some static and a message "There's something out there". Does Multiplay send messages about NPC movement? No.

quote:

jamotto

Even with the knowledge that there is a cloaked ship in the region, it is still difficult to find the exact place they are hiding.

But it's NOT FAIR that you can see that I have entered your current region and also see that I have also entered hyperspace. Why? Because you KNOW I'm coming for you. What do you do? You run. Those ships that raiders fly are almost twice as fast as the slug I prefer and therefore you are almost twice as fast as any ship with cloak capability. I thought the speed of raider ships offset the cloak capability of carriers as a design decision.

I'm not ranting. I agree with SC's original reply. Sort of.

What would I like? And SC can smack me.

No region change messages. No "xxx entered hyperspace" messages. I think leaving "xxx has logged on at Resilient" or any other station would be sort of cool. That way you would only get the smallest glimpse of where someone was.

Then again I didn't design the game so I don't know what can or cannot be done.

Long post of nothing over with. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Reed:

Now I do agree with the idea of adjusting the cloak to compensate for the change of the chat box. With the cloak changed to maybe deactivate before it burns out or something like that might make it more of a challenge to do a sneak attack because of the limited amount of time before cloak becomes inactive.

This sounds fine but, wouldn't this make it very hard for you to

quote:

This is especially true when you are trying to sneak into a sector under cloaked conditions. It makes it hard when an enemy is already waiting for you to enter the sector to really gain an advantage on somebody.

If you entered the system cloaked would you have enough time to reach the intended target considering the long HJ time's for the ships you use before the cloak was turned off?

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Just so us Raiders have a chance.

Thats thread hijacking. He created this thread about a specific issue related to reporting of chat info.

It has NOTHING to do with cloaking and isn't even related. AND your post said something along the lines of, ....well if you're going to do that, might as well do something about cloaking etc.

YOU don't get to tell me what to do. Ever. Especially since when I see something that catches my attention, I address it.

The end result is that I have already made the change as it relates to the server reporting hyperjumps and region jumps only to friendlies or neutrals, never to hostiles. So a Ter/Mil using hyperjump or jumping from region to another, will only be reported to other Ter/Mil players.

As for the cloaking system, my final and irreversible revision will be in the VCF sometime soon.

quote:

It has NOTHING to do with cloaking and isn't even related

True, his post had nothing to do with cloaking.Directly.But it had to do with what's fair.He considered it UNFAIR to have server info announce his presence when cloaked.Well, I considered that UNFAIR for vessels that have no cloaking capability.That's why I mentioned the cloaking alternative.Suggested by you.

quote:

YOU don't get to tell me what to do. Ever.

I would never presume to tell you how to run your forum or your franchise or anything else.

[ 07-27-2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Cc ]