That's a funny looking landing.

Guest Deathstroke

Guest Deathstroke

I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, but I'll post the question anyways, cause it's the only way I'll learn anything. biggrin.gif

I just recently applied the 2.09 patch (nice job, by the way. I like the improvements, a lot), and was experimenting with the TacOps puter, which, up till now, I've been avoiding. So, I sent a shuttle to retrieve a mining drone on the moon. I zoomed in close to watch the extraction. As the shuttle got close, I got a message saying it had been destroyed, and watched it tumble away into oblivion.

Now, I'm not the world's smartest commander... but in my mind, shuttles shouldn't really do that. Overall, I think the shuttle must've hit a mountain or something, but I'd just like to verify that there wasn't a problem there.

While I'm on the subject of Newbie questions; is it normal, from time to time, to spontaneously jump into Null Space? Cause it happened to me yesterday. In the Earth region, I was fiddling with the TacOps puter, and suddenly I was in Null Space. And there was no flux field anywhere around. I eventually found my way out, but it was kind of disturbing. Any thoughts?

Geez... this is getting long. I'll cut it off here. Thanks for your help. smile.gif

------------------------------------

Commander Deathstroke

UCV Holy Trinity

Motto: "Our motto has been stolen by intruders!"

Did you set a pick up mining drone way point for it? If not you may want to try that. Some times giving the retrive drone order with out setting way points may mess up the shuttle.

I never go into NULL space unless I was using the jump gates, don't know how you did that...

I would like to help, if I may.

As to your shuttle not surviving a simple mining droid pick up, what AI level was the pilot at? Did you send a marine or a pilot? I've noticed that marines w/ low AI (single numbers or low teens) have slower response times. Somethimes they just sit in once place, trying to make up their mind! When the mission is cruicial, send a pilot. (if they are free) OR switch to the shuttle and pick up the droid yourself.

As for jumping into nullspace, its never happened to me! Were you flying next to the edge of the map? If you exit the Tacops region, you'll end up in nullspace. Just target the flux and jump back to the real world! If you have the HSD, you can jump into nullspace from anywhere.

I usually allow my crew to operate in AI mode whenever possible, I believe it helps them build up the AI level, but I have no proof on this, just a feeling! I even go so far as to send my marines on 'death marches' to increase their AI. After a few marches, they don't get damaged as quickly. Again, no proof, just an observation.

I hope this helps!

------------------

Commander Ledge Rock

GCV Computron

Guest Deathstroke

As a matter of fact, I WAS near the map-edge in TacOps... must've drifted a bit too far. Explains much, thank you.

As for my shuttle, I rarely have pilots fly them, because I prefer to keep them in combat, rather than support, roles. So no, I didn't have them fly the shuttle. It had a flight engineer and two marines in it; I don't know which was flying, but, judging from the crash, I suspect it wasn't the flight engineer.

I might as well throw out another shuttle-related horror story for perusal, while I'm at it. I had a case of intruders, but seeing as how I always have at least 10 marines on permanant search duty (I rotate them from time to time), I didn't think much of it. Especially since I was toasting a carrier at the time. So I forgot to turn off launch control. Doh.

They stole a shuttle, but the shuttle had marines on it. I figured they would have shot him dead, and took control of the shuttle. I was half right. The intruder died what I can only hope was an extremely bloody death, but the shuttle kept going. And going. And eventually docked somewhere, and was pronounced destroyed. Along with, presumably, two marines and a flight engineer.

It might have had something to do with the fact that just before the intruder died, my BC was boarded AGAIN. Or, maybe it's just one of those things you have to live with. In any case, I'd like to know if I can do anything about this.

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

------------------

------------

Commander Deathstroke

UCV Holy Trinity

MOTTO: "Our motto has been stolen by intruders!"

sigh...Cadets wink.gif

As soon as you know you have an intruder aboard, turn off launch control until the situation is secure. No power to launch control = no possibility of ships being stolen. BTW, I can guarantee that you lost more than a shuttle and your marines but you also lost a goodly amount of cargo. Intruders always load cargo onto a shuttle when they board it.

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/S.O.G.

Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Official BCM Beta Tester

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 10-13-2000).]

Guest Deathstroke

Nope. Didn't have any cargo. Unloaded it all for upgrade money. smile.gif

Unless they stole fuel...?

In any case, I try to make sure I never let it happen, but once in a while there may be a distraction, or the like, and I simply don't turn it off for some stupid idiotic reason.

Don't worry, though. I'll develop the reflexes of a true Commander soon. How, you ask? No problem. I'll eat, sleep and breath battlcruiser 24 hours a day. I'll come to work dressed in a special suit I'll make myself (can you knit spandex?), and I'll speak as if I were a true commander (whenever someone comes near my cubicle, I'll shout out "We have intruders onboard!", and if anyone steals my stapler, I'll hunt them down with impunity. Damn raiders.). biggrin.gif

Ooops... time for my medication. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Deathstroke

UCV Holy Trinity

Did you already pick up the mining drone? I remember SC or someone saying awhile ago that certain combinations of minerals will cause explosions.... Maybe it's possible that you just hapened to mine one of them.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Guest Deathstroke

It's a real good thought, but no. I had another shuttle go down and pick up the still-intact (And FULL, I might add) mining drone.

I gained a lot of cash from that drone; most of which went toward the new shuttle and personel.

I guess the shuttle pilot was just... dumb.

But since we're on the topic, what combinations of minerals cause these explosions? Could be good to know for the future...

(I'll probably get a RTFM for this, won't I?)

------------------

Commander Deathstroke

UCV Holy Trinity

[This message has been edited by Deathstroke (edited 10-13-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Radine can't be that unstable, it's your fuel!

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Think radioactive and not explosive. Had to treat a huge number of crew members for radiation when Jo - in a flash of brilliance - realized that we had dangerously high concentrations of certain minerals on board. Thinking along those lines, if the amount were too too high then they might reach critical mass and light up your BC like a firecracker (speculation on that last bit of course).

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Official BCM Beta Tester

I know stronium is VERY unstable but i have never had an explosion. As for the shuttles crashing, I have had shuttles take damage from, hitting the ground, i guess. One way i know of (and the way i do it) is to give the order for all shuttles to launch and then tell them to fly to the planet, then i switch to and extract all drones one at a time. It takes longer but if you do it fast u dont take any damage. as for null space, the only way i have ever "jumped" into it was by hitting a nme ship when it hyper jumped.

Oh well i hope that helped (hey, look at me, helping for once, YEAAAA!!!!).

------------------

Cmdr. Keeling

UCV Constellation

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.

~ Winston Churchill ~

[This message has been edited by cmdr Keeling (edited 10-13-2000).]

I just set 1 way point right on top of the miner with a retrieval order. I've used some real brain dead marines as pilots and they have never had a real problem this. Just a few dents in the shuttle. I keep the other more intellegent(barely) marines scouring my ship for rodents.

------------------

Commodore Wold

ICV-Drakr, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commanding Officer, Spectre HQ

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

I think either the manual or the version control file lists which minerals are certain to cause and explosion or radiation if you either have too much quantity or a certain mix. Of course Jo is a dumb as a fruit salad for quite sometime and God help you if you've be stashing minerals before she realizes that she has to check those levels periodically.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I think either the manual or the version control file lists which minerals are certain to cause and explosion or radiation if you either have too much quantity or a certain mix.

Not explicitly, it does note that Jo "can also detect unsafe levels of dangerous and high volatile minerals such as

Kryptonium, Uranium, Strontium, etc."

quote:

Of course Jo is a dumb as a fruit salad for quite sometime and God help you if you've be stashing minerals before she realizes that she has to check those levels periodically.

"Dumb as a fruit salad," that's good. biggrin.gif Speaking of fruit salad: Once again I have finished the TOD's with a crew of vegetables and this time I left them on duty until they dropped. I think the "problem" may well be that the TOD's happen too quickly for the crew to actually learn much more than where the extra underwear is stashed for the Salamanda hunt.

quote:

Bill Cosby

And why are mothers always concerned about the condition of your underwear?...First you say it, then you do it!

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Official BCM Beta Tester

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 10-14-2000).]

The minerals are Kryptonium, Strontium and Uranium. Have all these three in cargo bay 1 and it will blow a hole in it and cause radiation. Have too much and it will blow a nice sizeable hole in the ship.

quote:

I think the "problem" may well be that the TOD's happen too quickly for the crew to actually learn much more than where the extra underwear is stashed for the Salamanda hunt.

Yep. And there's nothing that I can do about it. Besides, there is no difference in AI processing between FF and ACM anyway. So, ACM may well be a learning experience wink.gif

One of the things that I have been planning on doing, but which I have not done yet, is the ability to allow you to play any scenario, with the same profile. So, you could play Roam (was FF in BC3K) until your crew gains enough experience and then go play ACM. I haven't done it yet because it requires some dangerous architectural changes. I may look into it toward the end of the development cycle, sometime in the Dec/Jan timeframe.

quote:

Yep. And there's nothing that I can do about it. Besides, there is no difference in AI processing between FF and ACM anyway. So, ACM may well be a learning experience
wink.gif

And a painful one at that. Right now Jo can't find her way back to the research lab from medibay (it's just down the hall dear) and two of those #$%@@! pilots refuse to exit their interceptor. Probably has to do with all systems being at 100% and yet tacops shows the Falcon at 96% integrity. I wonder if it's related to the problems I've had with JAC earlier? Have to experiment with that.

quote:

One of the things that I have been planning on doing, but which I have not done yet, is the ability to allow you to play any scenario, with the same profile. So, you could play Roam (was FF in BC3K) until your crew gains enough experience and then go play ACM. I haven't done it yet because it requires some dangerous architectural changes. I may
look into it
toward the end of the development cycle, sometime in the Dec/Jan timeframe.

Eyes shine brightly..."Star light, star bright, I wish I may, I wish I might. . . ."

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Official BCM Beta Tester

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 10-14-2000).]

quote:

Probably has to do with all systems being at 100% and yet tacops shows the Falcon at 96% integrity

The total integrity of the ship has nothing to do with the internal systems you see in Logistix. The 96% you are seeing is similar to what you see when viewing the TTD of an NPC craft.

Tours of Duty.

Reference to the period of time involved in ACM missions. Often they are short- hence crews you use are nothing like the ones you accumulate in FF. Different challenge alltogether fighting intense battles with umm.. potatoes smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Sorrow:

Tours of Duty.

Reference to the period of time involved in ACM missions. Often they are short- hence crews you use are nothing like the ones you accumulate in FF. Different challenge alltogether fighting intense battles with umm.. potatoes
indent]<P>That

------------------

GCV Falcon,
(Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/

Fast, Furious... FIRST!"

Official BCM Beta Tester

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 10-23-2000).]